Full Pell Grant - Finally a reward for being poor!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: ngvepforever2
<--- from an immigrant in college

So you waited until you were 23 to decide that pursuing an education is worth it. Even more, you had to get a full ride paid from us (the people who contribute right now to society). I started college as soon as I graduated hs. I have been working since my freshman year to pay for ALL my expenses (tuition, food, gas, insurance). I am 21 and this is my last year in school (CS major). You didn't need all the help that you are getting, if I can do it anyone can do it too. You are young and I am assuming you are a healthy person. You can, very well, pay for your own education (you don't even need to mooch off your parents). It's really sad that you were removed from school by force, but we all have problems and in the end, we have to get over them and move on. You will always have to sacrifize something you want but that's how you also get to grow up.
There are kids who need those grants more than you do.

Regards

ng

This is complete and utter BS in the form of shens. 4 years to finish in CS while paying for everything? You would have to work 32 hours a day 9 days a week to afford that. So where does, sleep, school, study, etc fit in? Get over yourself. Youre proabably 28 and about to finish an associates.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: homercles337

So you waited until you were 23 to decide that pursuing an education is worth it. Even more, you had to get a full ride paid from us (the people who contribute right now to society). I started college as soon as I graduated hs. I have been working since my freshman year to pay for ALL my expenses (tuition, food, gas, insurance). I am 21 and this is my last year in school (CS major). You didn't need all the help that you are getting, if I can do it anyone can do it too. You are young and I am assuming you are a healthy person. You can, very well, pay for your own education (you don't even need to mooch off your parents). It's really sad that you were removed from school by force, but we all have problems and in the end, we have to get over them and move on. You will always have to sacrifize something you want but that's how you also get to grow up.

Regards

ng

This is complete and utter BS in the form of shens. 4 years to finish in CS while paying for everything? You would have to work 32 hours a day 9 days a week to afford that. So where does, sleep, school, study, etc fit in? Get over yourself. Youre proabably 28 and about to finish an associates.

Let's assume he makes $10 an hour and works full time. 48 weeks a year (vacation and such), that's $19200 a year gross - probably $14k net. That's more than enough for tuition, rent, food, utilities, etc. at a vast majority of schools. 168 hours in a week - 40 hours = 128 hours for class, homework, studying, and sleeping. Completely possible.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003

Regards

ng

Nope, Goosemaster (David) knows me, I am about to graduate and I am 21 (turn 22 in June). Just because you set limits to what you can do doesn't mean it's impossible. I am not a genius (my GPA is around 3.3 ) . However, I have gained experience in my industry ( I will graduate with 2 years of experience ). I made 10 bucks/hr when I started off (with no experience), now I make more than that. I work 32-36hrs/ week doing software development for a large financial institution. I have no debts (save what I spent for gifts in christmas which I will pay off today). I have crappy car that hates me and I hate back but it gets me from point A to point B and that's all that I care about. As I have said before, I had to make a lot of personal sacrifices to do it, but it's possible. Oh yeah..and my school is not that easy either but somehow I managed to pull off an A in Artificial Intelligence ( if you know what back propagation is in neural networks you would know what I had to deal with). homercles337, just because you think it's impossible it doesn't mean it is.

Regards

ng

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by: LS20

Regards

ng

you'd rather him struggle to work through school, maybe get discouraged, drop out, and live off welfare for the rest of his life?

i dont mind MY taxes going towards someones education. better books than bombs

I don't see why he woul have to get discouraged, drop out and live off welfare. He is an adult, if he is expecting to make it in the real world he needs to learn rejection, failure and everything that comes with it. He will need to learn that sh!t happens and that he needs to move on, that's what you do if you really want to achieve your goal. You don't get discouraged, you just keep going. However, I also don't mind my taxes going towards someones education, but I believe there are kids out there who need those grants way more than he does

Regards

ng

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20

Regards

ng

you'd rather him struggle to work through school, maybe get discouraged, drop out, and live off welfare for the rest of his life?

i dont mind MY taxes going towards someones education. better books than bombs

This is the issue with America. Everyone thinks everything they do should be easy and that they should quit if it gets hard.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
You sound like a lazy ass. I had a full ride the first go around for sports/academics. But that was the university deciding that I should go there for free.

And next time around, when I finish school, I'll have earned every last cent of college money through the Montgomery GI bill.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000

Regards

ng

The government programs are there to be used. Don't give this guy a hard time while acting like you are some kind of hero. He's just getting an education using the resources available to him.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
:roll: You're welcome

<--- 1st gen immigrant, working full-time, paying taxes, paying own college tuition, raising two kids.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Kntx

Regards

ng

The government programs are there to be used. Don't give this guy a hard time while acting like you are some kind of hero. He's just getting an education using the resources available to him.

I didn't try to come off as some kind of "hero" and I apologize if I did. I just wanted to point out that he is not the only one struggling to make it through school or life. Many of my friends work and go to school, many people in ATOT do it too ( acemcmac was living proof of that and that's one of the reasons why I admired him so much, may he rest in peace).

regards

ng

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
my friend went to berkeley on a full pell grant also. his family lives in the palisades in a $5 million mansion (maybe $10mm now) and owns a full chain of restaurants. His parents run most expenses through the corporation and pays themselves a meager salary. Bastards.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
I don't think the op is doing anything wrong. He's taking advantage of what is available to him. I don't think it makes anyone more of a hero if they worked full-time and paid their own way.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
I'm 22. Throughout high school and college i've been working about 30 hours a week and taking 12 credits a semester. i've managed to save up $15k. Recently i've been doing the math and I realized if I quit my job and go to school for 18 credits a semester, i'll be able to graduate in 1 1/2 years, instead of the 2 1/2 years it will take me if i keep working the way i am. I don't want to stay in my current situation for another 2 1/2 years...but I also don't want to quit my job, have no income, and burn 350 bucks a month on rent. that will add up quick, and I'd like to have atleast 10k in my bank account for whatever reason.

On a stroke of luck, my friends parents just bought a beautiful new mini mansion and can't move in for a year. They offered to let my friend and myself stay there for free.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
I don't think the op is doing anything wrong. He's taking advantage of what is available to him. I don't think it makes anyone more of a hero if they worked full-time and paid their own way.

Hero? no.

But better person? Hell yes. I hate laziness, because I myself can be lazy.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003

Eh... :confused: I don't know were you got your meaning of hero...for me a hero is a person that does this kind of stuff

Regards

ng

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: TallBill

Hero? no.

He is not lazy for choosing not to do something just for the sake of doing it. If he can get a pell grant and stay with his parents then good for him.. better than flipping burgers.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
just because you think it's impossible it doesn't mean it is.

Regards

ng

ill make it short and concise: just because it's possible, doesn't mean everyone has to do it.

kudos for taking advantage of whats offered out there. as long as he comes out and becomes a tax paying citizen to help the next round of kids in college, im content

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: chrisms

Hero? no.

He is not lazy for choosing not to do something just for the sake of doing it. If he can get a pell grant and stay with his parents then good for him.. better than flipping burgers.

Exactly. I'd rather be able to concentrate 100% on education than being half awake in each class and not learning as much as I can.

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Originally posted by: leftyman
I wish you were my son.

I think it's great to use the money for education, more power to him. It's your response that I find puzzling.

Do you want to provide him with a house, food, tv, etc. for 2 years?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Regards

ng

actually it si possible. many people do it every year.

I have no trouble with pell/map/whatever grants. In fact i wish the goverment would increase the amount. they just cut them last year here in IL.

but i do agree with others getting on the op. he refuses to take a $10/hr job to help pay for his way.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: uberman
Originally posted by: leftyman
I wish you were my son.

I think it's great to use the money for education, more power to him. It's your response that I find puzzling.

Do you want to provide him with a house, food, tv, etc. for 2 years?

i woldnt mind paying for houseing, food. etc while my kids are in college. But i would also expect them to get a part time job to halp reduce the cost.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

The goal will be to make sure I know all the maximum amounts of money I can make to manipulate the aid and tax systems to the most advantageous ways possible.

Thats being lazy. Karma will catch up to the OP.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
These grants are there so the cycle of being poor can be broken. Meaning that his parents were poor so hopefully with these grants he can get a college education, get a good paying job, and then have children who won't have to rely on these grants.

Good luck OP. Dental Hygiene is kinda a rigorous course to do in 2 years. Be prepared to have no social life. :p

eunsang

Nov 29, 2004
with the grant and what not and not working, you better make a hell of a good hygenist.

then earn more money as hygenist, then go to dental school.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003

The goal will be to make sure I know all the maximum amounts of money I can make to manipulate the aid and tax systems to the most advantageous ways possible.

Thats being lazy. Karma will catch up to the OP.

That's taking advantage of what is offered to him. Like I said, working for the sake of working makes no sense. Its like working the night shift at 7-11 even though you're making $60,000/year.

If I had the choice of working for $10,000 or having someone hand it to me for free, I'd choose the latter. That isn't laziness that is common sense. This has nothing to do with Karma.