Full Pell Grant - Finally a reward for being poor!

D22

Nov 13, 2004
I found out yesterday I am getting the full pell grant w/ book money and am also applying for the max subsidized student loan. I am going to attempt to work as little as possible or not at all for the next 2 years until I can become a dental hygienist. I've decided that all these $10 an hour and under jobs are insulting and degrading; the immigrants can have those - I am tired of fighting them for the chump change. If only I hadn't been removed from school by force when I was 11 I would have realized you really can be poor and get through college and wouldn't have wasted years and years of my life on this garbage...

Kipper

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChad
How do you plan on supporting yourself for the next 2 years?

Undoubtedly scanning HD and reselling the the mispriced items and cheaper items on eBay for $5 profit each time.

D22

Nov 13, 2004
I moved back home, I'm 23 - my parents are really old so they don't F with me anymore and my dad feels guilty for obvious reasons. I am going to try to convince them to foot my modest monthly bills (internet, phone, cheap car, etc), use the Pell for a free ride through college, and take out the max loans as needed. If I get a job I'll serve like all day Saturday, make my $100-$200 and that's it. I am ridiculously frugal and should be able to live on next to nothing - it is just 2 years after all. From what I hear I can look forward to $30-$35/hr first year out. I will likely continue my education from there. The goal will be to make sure I know all the maximum amounts of money I can make to manipulate the aid and tax systems to the most advantageous ways possible - The American Way

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: D22
I moved back home, I'm 23 - my parents are really old so they don't F with me anymore and my dad feels guilty for obvious reasons. I am going to try to convince them to foot my modest monthly bills (internet, phone, cheap car, etc), use the Pell for a free ride through college, and take out the max loans as needed. If I get a job I'll serve like all day Saturday, make my $100-$200 and that's it. I am ridiculously frugal and should be able to live on next to nothing - it is just 2 years after all. From what I hear I can look forward to $30-$35/hr first year out. I will likely continue my education from there. The goal will be to make sure I know all the maximum amounts of money I can make to manipulate the aid and tax systems to the most advantageous ways possible - The American Way

So you're going to mooch off of others? Congrats, I guess. :roll:

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
I'm pretty fiscally conservative by nature but investing in the education of America is one place where "social welfare" works for the good of everyone. I hope things work out well for you.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
I've decided that all these $10 an hour and under jobs are insulting and degrading; the immigrants can have those - I am tired of fighting them for the chump change. If only I hadn't been removed from school by force when I was 11 I would have realized you really can be poor and get through college and wouldn't have wasted years and years of my life on this garbage...

Yeah, screw working for it and just have the gov't pay for it. At least look like you're making an effort :disgust:

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
How do you plan on supporting yourself for the next 2 years?

Making bets and predictions that Atlanta & Michael Vick will make it to the Super Bowl! :D

D22

Nov 13, 2004
Thanks Searchmaster! But yeah, I am the same way. I lean libertarian, but if you come from the gutters you definitely realize there has to be some sort of equalization in place. The hardest part is just getting off the ground, and if you can't make more than $10 an hour you will never create that separation between income and expenses to amount to anything or provide a decent future for your family.

jlbenedict: Hey that was a low blow, lol. That is why I never bet on sports no matter how tempted I am. Vick and Mora can go screw eachother lol.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
There's a lot of people who wouldn't be able to further their education without grants like this. I don't see how you guys can badmouth this at all. Just remember just because you were able to get loans for school doesn't mean everyone has fiscally responsible families who can even co-sign for loans.

You act like he's taking the grant and peddling crack to kids with the proceeds. Grow up.

Congrats to OP, and good luck with school.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Wow. There's a reason why the pell grant is there, it's to help those out there get an education. Some people need to calm the fvck down.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Chrono
Wow. There's a reason why the pell grant is there, it's to help those out there get an education. Some people need to calm the fvck down.

I have no problem with the OP utilizing the Pell grant. It's his attitude that seems off.

He's moving back home at 23 and he's "going to try to convince them to foot my modest monthly bills (internet, phone, cheap car, etc)". That, combined with his elitist attitude towards entry-level jobs ("all these $10 an hour and under jobs are insulting and degrading"), gives the impression that he has some sense of entitlement.

That said, more power to him. I hope his new education helps him advance his career.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Which he will more then make up for in the taxes he pays back in once he graduates.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Specop 007

Which he will more then make up for in the taxes he pays back in once he graduates.

I was referring to his parents, not the government/tax payers.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
<--- from an immigrant in college

So you waited until you were 23 to decide that pursuing an education is worth it. Even more, you had to get a full ride paid from us (the people who contribute right now to society). I started college as soon as I graduated hs. I have been working since my freshman year to pay for ALL my expenses (tuition, food, gas, insurance). I am 21 and this is my last year in school (CS major). You didn't need all the help that you are getting, if I can do it anyone can do it too. You are young and I am assuming you are a healthy person. You can, very well, pay for your own education (you don't even need to mooch off your parents). It's really sad that you were removed from school by force, but we all have problems and in the end, we have to get over them and move on. You will always have to sacrifize something you want but that's how you also get to grow up.
There are kids who need those grants more than you do.

Regards

ng

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ngvepforever2

So you waited until you were 23 to decide that pursuing an education is worth it. Even more, you had to get a full ride paid from us (the people who contribute right now to society). I started college as soon as I graduated hs. I have been working since my freshman year to pay for ALL my expenses (tuition, food, gas, insurance). I am 21 and this is my last year in school (CS major). You didn't need all the help that you are getting, if I can do it anyone can do it too. You are young and I am assuming you are a healthy person. You can, very well, pay for your own education (you don't even need to mooch off your parents). It's really sad that you were removed from school by force, but we all have problems and in the end, we have to get over them and move on. You will always have to sacrifize something you want but that's how you also get to grow up.

Regards

ng

Amen. Everyone likes to whine about their life and think they have it so hard. Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it. You can work hard and get just about anything you want. You are entitled to nothing more than anyone else.

krcat1

Jan 20, 2005
It depends. In my neck of the woods, the only way for someone to get a grant is to have a baby out-of-wedlock.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: thirdeye
There's a lot of people who wouldn't be able to further their education without grants like this. I don't see how you guys can badmouth this at all. Just remember just because you were able to get loans for school doesn't mean everyone has fiscally responsible families who can even co-sign for loans.

You act like he's taking the grant and peddling crack to kids with the proceeds. Grow up.

Congrats to OP, and good luck with school.

because now that the OP has received his grant, he refuses to support himself and his lifestyle. rather, he wants to guilt-trip his parents into giving him money. certainly they have more financial power than he does, but that doesn't reduce his obligation to contribute towards his expenses in any way.

fwiw: i payed all possible expenses until i exhausted what money i had. luckily my parents are helping me out, and once i go on co-op, i should be able to earn enough to take care of food/rent//books and loans take care of my educational expenses

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
I recently got my fafsa information back, unfortunately I did not qualify for the Pell Grant despite the fact that I am the same age as you and and have been paying my own way on my own for the past 3 years. Next year should be different since I wont be seen as attached to my parents, but ah well.

Out of curiosity what was your EFC?

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Zolty
I recently got my fafsa information back, unfortunately I did not qualify for the Pell Grant despite the fact that I am the same age as you and and have been paying my own way on my own for the past 3 years. Next year should be different since I wont be seen as attached to my parents, but ah well.

Out of curiosity what was your EFC?

Unfortunately, you aren't considered independent until you are 24, married, or a veteran. You should get more aid next year.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
$10/hr is insulting to poor people? Man, I wish I knew that when I was in college, not particularly poor, and making $5.25 an hour on workstudy. Poor people certainly have high standards these days! (And I'm not even an immigrant - third generation US citizen!)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You might want to look at a *real* income range for dental hygienists. Contrary to what Salary.com says, they are not making $65k a year.

It's more like half that for starting out. You'll be looking at $30k-$45k depending on the office/region.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: ngvepforever2

Regards

ng

you'd rather him struggle to work through school, maybe get discouraged, drop out, and live off welfare for the rest of his life?

i dont mind MY taxes going towards someones education. better books than bombs

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
good luck to you, but I see nothing wrong with working a $10/hr job to get some pocket money.