Four weeks after quitting soda...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

imported_Pablo

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2002
I try to have only two or three servings of "bad" stuff a day, like sodas, desserts, candies, fried food etc. I think where people mess up is when they treat a Pepsi or a coke like a beverage when in reality their getting a TON of sugar. Diet sodas have a "chemical" taste to them that I don't really care for...

WTF am I rambling about? I have work to do.

KoolAidKid

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Originally posted by: mrchan
The ONLY difference in 4 weeks was soda and you lost 14 pounds? That's 49,000 calories or 490 (100 calories/8 ounce) servings. Something isn't right......

Yes, I literally lost 14 lbs. And worse I regained a lb a day when I went back to soda.

Original Post at the beginning of the month.

It was closer to six weeks, however the majority of my weight loss was initial.

In my opinion this cannot be attributed solely to your soda consumption. To gain 1 pound per day of soda drinking you would have to drink 3500 calories worth of soda, and all of it would have to be converted to fat.

It is possible that when you drink soda you have a carb crash afterward and then eat a bunch of crap to pull yourself out of it. This could be responsible for the weight gain.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The anti-soda crusade is not seeing the forest for the trees. I don't know why people dwell on how evil it supposedly is. If it's regular soda it's simply sugar. It's empty, useless calories, but a couple cans/day are only 300 calories. I have at the moment 1-2 cans of regular a day, not including my diet soda, and it doesn't affect me more than 150 from any other source. I'm thin and master of my weight.

Spend less time on soda and more time on overall calories if you want results.

Anyway, to lose 14 lbs in 4 weeks would be a deficit of 1750 calories/day, assuming your metabolic requirements remain the same, which they would not. That's 12 cans of pop/day, which I doubt the OP was doing. Something else is going on, but people ABSOLUTELY NEED to reaize that weight can fluctuate a lot and it's not just fat. I can wake up one morning at 172 and the next day at 175 if I eat a lot that day, but it's not that I gained three lbs of fat. I merely have a higher store of water and glycogen.

Quiting soda consumption is no magic bullet.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
Originally posted by: MAME
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe
Why would anyone quit soda?

because it's bad for you?

How?
I seem to be doing alright. I drink 2 liters per day.
How old are you? As you get older, the less you'll be able to drink.

When I was in my teens to early 20's, in the summer I worked at my dad's shop. The first thing I did when I walked in the door was go the drink machine and get a Pepsi. And I had one with me all day. Probably drank 10 a day. And I couldn't gain weight at all. Ate all day. Ate a whole pack of cookies right before going to sleep.

Not so now. I still drink some Pepsi, but nowhere near as much. I eat basically one meal a day. And I weigh too much and can't lose it, even though I eat half the calories I did when I was younger.
Plus, soda does bad things to your stomach when you're older.

edited: spelling

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I drink diet soda...does that make you gain weight as well? Just wondering if the carbonation is bad for you. I drink the diet sodas sweetened with Splenda.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
I drink diet soda...does that make you gain weight as well? Just wondering if the carbonation is bad for you. I drink the diet sodas sweetened with Splenda.
Only people who know nothing about diet soda will say it affects your weight. It doesn't. It has 0-1 calorie, just like the can says and in accordance has zero impact on your body fat.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
diet pepsi!!
QFT I stopped drinking regular soda in Dec. 2002. I drank nothing but water for 2 months. When I tried a diet soda it tasted great. To this day I enjoy most diet sodas I try. :cookie: for me.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
The anti-soda crusade is not seeing the forest for the trees. I don't know why people dwell on how evil it supposedly is. If it's regular soda it's simply sugar. It's empty, useless calories, but a couple cans/day are only 300 calories. I have at the moment 1-2 cans of regular a day, not including my diet soda, and it doesn't affect me more than 150 from any other source. I'm thin and master of my weight.

Anyway, to lose 14 lbs in 4 weeks would be a deficit of 1750 calories/day, assuming your metabolic requirements remain the same, which they would not. That's 12 cans of pop/day, which I doubt the OP was doing. Something else is going on, but people ABSOLUTELY NEED to reaize that weight can fluctuate a lot and it's not just fat. I can wake up one morning at 172 and the next day at 175 if I eat a lot that day, but it's not that I gained three lbs of fat. I merely have a higher store of water and glycogen.

Soda is one of the easiest and biggest targets in a common diet. If you have the will power to quit drinking sodas, you have to will power to do anything. Not only is it empty calories, but it replaces real liquids in a diet such as water, which everybody needs. I agree with your point, but I'd rather join the soda crusade.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: skace
Soda is one of the easiest and biggest targets in a common diet. If you have the will power to quit drinking sodas, you have to will power to do anything. Not only is it empty calories, but it replaces real liquids in a diet such as water, which everybody needs. I agree with your point, but I'd rather join the soda crusade.
Oh come on it's not that hard. A couple of indian co-workers don't drink much pop but they do like to eat. I found, personally, the switch from regular to diet soda to be quite easy, much like 2% to skim milk. I prefer regular soda but the desire for one is far weaker a compulsion than when you're hungry and a chocolate bar or piece of pizza is calling to you.

exilera

Apr 12, 2005
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: bharok
i just dont understand people who think soda is good for you
tons of sugar chemicals etc ...
Nobody is saying its good for you, but there are worst things that you can be drinking.

True, but does that make drinking soda OK? No, it doesn't.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
i dont like fizzy drinks anyway, well id do but i never really drink them .. the best thing for your body is 2 liters of water a day, try it and you will loose weight along with flushing out the toxins in your body ... dont forget your body is 70% water based

dcdude

May 8, 2005
whats the point of quitting soda if you're just going to have a Snickers in place of it every time?

that makes no sense if you're tryign to lose weight. ive never gone on a weight loss diet because i dont need to, but for the people that have, you cant say 2 cans of soda is ONLY 300 calories, becuase hwne you take in the fact that you'd only be eating 1,800-2,000 calories a day. its a lot. being wasted

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: dcdude
whats the point of quitting soda if you're just going to have a Snickers in place of it every time?

that makes no sense if you're tryign to lose weight. ive never gone on a weight loss diet because i dont need to, but for the people that have, you cant say 2 cans of soda is ONLY 300 calories, becuase hwne you take in the fact that you'd only be eating 1,800-2,000 calories a day. its a lot. being wasted
It is a decent bit, but 2000 claories of healthy-only foods just isn't fun. I can eat 2100 long term because I put enough treats in that 2100 that it's not very taxing on my will. 300 would be better from a salad, but then it's not as if I'm a pro athlete, so it doesn't matter.

Albis

Platinum Member
May 29, 2004
i wanna quit drinking soda too but it's tough. i'm trying to slowly cut back though. i'm down to a glass / bottle a day

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Amplifier
Been four weeks since I quit soda. I changed nothing else about my diet/workout routine and I'm down from 209 -> 195.

A couple days ago I caved in at a party and started drinking again. Went from 195 -> 198 :|.

Not touching that stuff again. :Angry Noise;

This is the real secret of atkins. It's not the carbs in bread or pasta that kill you so much, it's the worthless suger in soda.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Only people who know nothing about diet soda will say it affects your weight. It doesn't. It has 0-1 calorie, just like the can says and in accordance has zero impact on your body fat.

Sitting on your ass all day at work has no calories, yet it will affect your body weight/fat.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Chiropteran

Sitting on your ass all day at work has no calories, yet it will affect your body weight/fat.
That's because living involves burning calories, so sitting on your ass all day, doing nothing else, you will lose weight/fat.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
]That's because living involves burning calories, so sitting on your ass all day, doing nothing else, you will lose weight/fat.

So if you are sitting around drinking diet soda all day you might gain a bit of weight compared to if you were outside being active.

Much like my computer doesn't have any calories, but I'm sure if I gave it up I would lose weight.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

The AMA had a study that suggested that our country has more overweight kids because of soda. Know why? They suggested it was because of fructose (corn syrup), which is a ketone. It takes longer for you body to break it down than the other non ketones like sucrose. It's all just a theory of course, but more proof is coming to light.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my prof has a PhD in biochem, and teaches nutrition/physiology classes here. He was the one that believed this theory to be true as well.