Formula1 2013 thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
If it wasn't official already, it is now. Webber and Vettel don't like each other.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Shame they won't let Rosberg pass Hamilton. He's much quicker and he's been quicker all day.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Vettel formally apologizes to Webber, but that was one hell of a drama.. between the top 4 drivers.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I feel pretty bad for Rosberg, he deserved that spot on the podium.
And thank god for Vettel not listening to the voices above, because that overtake was probably the passing move of the season already.

Poor Force India, where on race day suddenly the wheel nuts start acting up. And Alonso not pitting was just....stupid. Not something I would have expected to see from the Ferrari that had no reliability problems all last season.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
This team order crap is getting old again, they never should have repealed the rule. I have a feeling this is going to bite Vettel later this year. Nico should have been able to race Hamilton. These guys are supposed to be the best drivers in the world so they should be able to race each other cleanly.

Ferrari should be hit with a big fine. There is no reason Alonso should not have pitted.

punjabiplaya

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
If I wanted to watch a race, what channel/time could I do it on?

in the US? NBC Sports Network is carrying F1 this year with a few being broadcast on NBC itself. You'd have to look up the times and channel. There are lots of online live streams too, I prefer Bloodzeed's.

Damned hilarious race.

ikIK0L5zhDuq5.gif

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
I feel pretty bad for Rosberg, he deserved that spot on the podium.
And thank god for Vettel not listening to the voices above, because that overtake was probably the passing move of the season already.

Poor Force India, where on race day suddenly the wheel nuts start acting up. And Alonso not pitting was just....stupid. Not something I would have expected to see from the Ferrari that had no reliability problems all last season.

Except the team specifically ordered them turn down the engine and conserve tires till the end of the race.

Vettle totally sucker punched Webber in the race.

tweakmonkey

Mar 11, 2013
tweak3d.net
At least Weber spoke his mind on the podium. Vettel's a chode. Also lol at the radio transmission, "tell him to move over, he's too slow" while Weber was turning faster lap times. He's a spoiled brat that loves the spotlight and the sound of his own voice.

Edit- also :( at mclaren. What the hell guys, bad pace, more pit mixups...

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think Nico had enough time to try to run down Webber. Hamilton was holding Nico up with about 9 or 10 laps left. It doesn't matter to the team which order the two cars finish, the team gets the same points. Conserving the tires is bs, imo. It's common to have the drivers on different strategies, anyway. So, let Nico go and see what he can do.

punjabiplaya

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006
I think Nico had enough time to try to run down Webber. Hamilton was holding Nico up with about 9 or 10 laps left. It doesn't matter to the team which order the two cars finish, the team gets the same points. Conserving the tires is bs, imo. It's common to have the drivers on different strategies, anyway. So, let Nico go and see what he can do.

Lewis did good by saying Nico should have been allowed to go by. Now, whether he believes it or not is up for discussion, but he's getting better at learning how to say the right thing. Vettel apologizing just seemed fake. But I really think they all should have just been allowed to race each other.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
People need to stop crying over Webber. The whole point of racing is to win.

Apparently that's not always the point in F1. I don't like team orders, but I understand having them when they make sense. I don't understand using them just because you can, or just because a driver is favored.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010

The manufacturers don't get a single penny if his driver wins the WDC, they want to make sure that both cars finish in good positions and Webber and Vettel were told to conserve fuel and save tires which Vettel clearly disregarded, and made a fool out of himself.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Did anyone watch the post race show? Will Buxton interviewed Christian Horner and of course he was very diplomatic but he did confirm that what Webber was pissed about was basically true and that Vettel defied team orders to dial it back and save the positions they were running in.

Mercedes basically did the same thing only difference is Nico Rosberg did what he was told.

Can't really say I blame Vettel for going for the win but I also can't blame Mark Webber for being completely pissed off about what happened either.

Nobody looked happy on that podium. I think the highlight of the podium ceremony was Webber spraying champagne on the podium girls.

Great race though.

Oh, and I thought that was kind of a gutsy call by Alonso. He gambled that his wing wasn't going to come off and he lost that gamble. He knew he couldn't change onto the dry tires for a couple more laps so he took a chance on staying out.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
haha i've seen happier podiums after there have been fatalities.

"multi 21, seb. multi 21"

it's apparent multi 21 is the red bull code for formation flying, car 2 then car 1.

senna, prost, schumacher, and now vettel - not one of them gave a single fuck.

Costas Athan

Sep 21, 2011
sffaddon.com

Well if Webber had slowed down because of the team orders and the race plan, that overtake defies the rules of fair play.

If Webber was aware that Vettel was racing at full speed he could do the same. At some point of the race he was leading by 5 seconds. He could try to maintain the gap. But without knowing that Vettel disobeyed the team orders he slowed down and Vettel took advantage of it.

punjabiplaya

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2006

it's apparent multi 21 is the red bull code for formation flying, car 2 then car 1.

no, actually it refers to a setting for the engine, not car 2 ahead of car1 .

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

Schuey likely would not have apologized for the pass. He would probably have said he was out there to win, not finish second.

I can't figure out how Vettel works that out in his head.

Vettel passes Webber against team orders, then gives some sort of weird apology. Strange.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Come on, you're Vettel, on fresh tires, and you come into the first corner right on the gearbox of someone that just came out of the pits.
You're in it to win it.

Any red blooded race driver would make the utmost of that one lap of advantage he has, while the other driver still warms up his tires and go for it. And Webber did defend, no way that his engine was turned down during those two laps. Didn't exactly look like he let him past, to appease the team either. No, what Vettel gave us was a clean pass, and the only thing that made that race truly worth watching. I do hope Bernie comes around and gives him a little bonus for captivating the viewers.

And Horner is making it a bit easy on himself, saying that "oh, it's only 7 points for a driver, and 43 for a team". Well, the team championships were all won with a huge margin. Two of the three driver's championships that Vettel secured were done with much less than 7 points difference. And while we all do remember Istanbul 2010, taking that risk was what made, to me, Red Bull the more deserving team of a title, compared to, say, Ferrari.

Yes, I see that everyone is worried about the tire wear, but by the end of the GP, they had quite a lot more information on how they behaved, they had some safety margin to the Mercedes, so no reason not to go racing for a lap or two. Sure, Mark was comfortable with cruising home to a win, but how can you expect the second driver, in a faster car (due to the tire strategy) to accept that. I fully expected Rosberg to go for the podium on the last two laps. He could have probably gotten in with a simple DRS pass on the back straight, on the last lap.

Oh well, it will be interesting to see how this develops over the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jbb3tYcyRvw

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Whats with these drivers? Vettel going past webber when they were told to hold position wasn't too bad, it was a sucker punch, but whatever. Mark can get him back. The worst part was apologizing. WTF? who apologizes for winning?

And Lewis, if he wanted Nico on the podium, why didn't he pull over then? I'm sure Kimi wouldn't mind saying it straight.

Atty

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2006
I get Red Bull didn't want to risk losing both drivers in a crash but let those people race dammit.

Formula 1 is largely about the fans and they all loved what they saw.