For those who lift weights...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Zebo

In general you should do the exact opposite of what you like when working out. Like running? then lift heavy. Like lifting heavy? Then Run.

It's funny that you say that. I always lifted heavy, but I hated cardio so I didn't do it. Just last year I started seriously getting into cardio and it helped me a lot.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxDSP
Ive been working out for the better part of 2 years now and while Ive seen small physical gains and putting up more weight while working out, I am not seeing an increase in muscle volume. I weigh about 185, and get about 160g of protein from milk+shakes everyday...considering I'm a vegetarian kind of complicates matters.
Lately Ive been thinking about startin creatine for muscle volume/mass, but have not done enough research on it to see if it does any damage to your health/body. Generally speaking, how effective has creatine been for you guys and how long soon after you started taking it did you see results?

If you are making physical gains then you have increased your muscle volume.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Ive been working out for the better part of 2 years now and while Ive seen small physical gains and putting up more weight while working out, I am not seeing an increase in muscle volume. I weigh about 185, and get about 160g of protein from milk+shakes everyday...considering I'm a vegetarian kind of complicates matters.
Lately Ive been thinking about startin creatine for muscle volume/mass, but have not done enough research on it to see if it does any damage to your health/body. Generally speaking, how effective has creatine been for you guys and how long soon after you started taking it did you see results?

Honestly, I have never seen a vegetarian get very muscular. I think meat is required.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

I hav'nt tried it but kidney beans and brown rice are supposed to have all the protien one needs. But I'm sure protien shakes would be a nice supplement. Maybe take twice what's recommended and do power moves.. eg power cleans.. squats... dead lifts..stay away from the small movements which I think are tendon builders more than anything.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

I hav'nt tried it but kidney beans and brown rice are supposed to have all the protien one needs. But I'm sure protien shakes would be a nice supplement. Maybe take twice what's recommended and do power moves.. eg power cleans.. squats... dead lifts..stay away from the small movements which I think are tendon builders more than anything.

Beans are great.

My GF makes some meaty, beany chili and when she does, she makes enough for a week.

Every time she does, I make gains.

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
Do a google search on Dr. Daniel B. Mowrey.

It seems he likes to attach his credentials to products that make flamboyant claims.
He also has his name attached to a "Better than Botox!" cream. ("the anti-wrinkle breakthrough of the decade!")
Also he advertises "Leptoprin - Anorex" which is supposed to combat Obesity... (another "extraordinary" and "much to powerful" breakthrough)
He wrote a couple books on "tonic herbs" and "super herbs" remedies

He probably get's good money attaching his name to junk and throwing out a few quotes.

All this makes the product highly suspect and a list of ingredients aren't listed.

I agree with the other posts as in this is a waste of money.

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
This is a scam. Its tomato juice made to look like a suppliment. IIRC doesn't Creatine add a lot of water to your body?

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005

Vegetarians can put on a lot of muscle, as long as they get adequate protein. Take a look at Mike Mahler, a long-term vegan :) I also know several people in real life who are all-natural vegetarian bodybuilders (amateur). They have no problem.

Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
"Dr. Daniel B. Mowrey, Ph.D., Novex Biotech?s Director of Scientific Affairs,"

Ph.D = no medical training whatsoever, if it's even a real degree.

This non-doctor is also the author of their "research summary" PDF.

If you're lucky, the stuff is harmless and will only damage your bank account.

No offense dave you usually pretty smart but here you're clueless. PhD's in pharmocology, biochem, chem and biology invent most everymedication ever invented not MD's.

Thanks for clarifying the PhD comment. I'm *hopefully* near finishing one in molecular toxicology and was surprised to see someone knock it... but its true that the degree is thrown around to make flakes seem like they know what they're talking about. This guy isn't just a flake - he's propagating complete misinformation.

After reading the 'research' outline (which is a joke in itself because it hasn't been published in a peer-reviewed journal... not even a crappy one), its pretty clear to me that this is a joke. The premise of the article was that the drug acts on a specific receptor, causing more of the receptor to be created. In almot every aspect of biology, the opposite is true. Consider needing more of something after using it to get the desired effect - same principle. Recoptors are virtually always downregulated when overstimulated, leading to a decreased effect.

Here's the clincher: he mentions that taking this drug will recruit progenitor cells into the damaged muscle, which then differentiate into muscle cells and building muscle mass. In case anyone is wondering, progenitor cells are stem cells. Stem cells do not migrate into muscle and become muscle cells when you work out. As anyone who lifts should know, increases in muscle mass are the result of an increase in the size of single muscle cells - not an increase in the cell number. His statement is completely false.

I would never consider this supplement.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SportSC4
Do a google search on Dr. Daniel B. Mowrey.

It seems he likes to attach his credentials to products that make flamboyant claims.
He also has his name attached to a "Better than Botox!" cream. ("the anti-wrinkle breakthrough of the decade!")
Also he advertises "Leptoprin - Anorex" which is supposed to combat Obesity... (another "extraordinary" and "much to powerful" breakthrough)
He wrote a couple books on "tonic herbs" and "super herbs" remedies

He probably get's good money attaching his name to junk and throwing out a few quotes.

All this makes the product highly suspect and a list of ingredients aren't listed.

I agree with the other posts as in this is a waste of money.

LOL well gotta make a livin' somehow:p or hav'nt you heard about the PhD glut?

Anyway as the oldest saying goes "if it's sounds too good..." well you know how it goes few listen though.. My gym's store is packed!

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: eigen

How much do you eat.I dont care about your shakes and crap.How much real food do you put into your body.You dont even want to know how much I eat.

Breakfast lunch and dinner....I think I eat enough, and often choose "health-ier" stuff instead of pizza, fries, etc. I cant really quantify how much I eat, as most of my dinner consists of Indian food, loaded with carbs, some protein, and fat. Lunch usually consists of a sub or chipotle burrito, etc. Breakfast is usually bagel with crm cheese and coffee.

Why not track what you are eating for a few days and see what ratio of protein/fat/carbs you get and the total number of calories? What you describe above is not really that healthy, at least its not clean foods, so maybe working on your diet will make a huge difference :)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I used to have a BS artist checklist of fourty points..here are some they're hitting on:

1. Emphasis on luxurious lifestyle. Check ( having a nice bod certianly falls into that catagory)
2. No pitfalls no bad news. Check
3. High prices. check.
4. Use of buzz words that depict a degree of ease or exclusivity or certainty or absence of risk. check right off the bat..
"remarkable turn of events, arguably one of the strangest in the history of athletic performance"
"As these cutting-edge trainers began recommending the compound to their competitive clients, they began to receive feedback
"a unique and proven method for muscle size and strength beyond what is acquired through the normal recruitment and differentiation of progenitor muscle cells.
5. Testimonials with incomplete names, with unknowns, without peer review. Check

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: computeerrgghh
This is a scam. Its tomato juice made to look like a suppliment. IIRC doesn't Creatine add a lot of water to your body?

Yes, you do gain weight due to the body's retention of water while on creatine.

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Nice list. Don't forget: Unprofessional looking clinical trial and lack of a list of ingredients or chemical structure.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
the stuff is undoubtedly overpriced, useless crap,
like 98% of supplements.

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Spamela
like 98% of supplements.

I'd trust Spamela over anyone else here -- :Q at the sig :thumbsup:

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
like 98% of supplements.

Yup, you're absolutley right bud. ESPECIALLY the stuff at GNC. Now, they carry good products, but christ, the markup on there stuff is absolutley insane.

Protein and Creatine. That's all you need, and you could probably do without the creatine. I use it because I do see results.

Proper diet and proper exercise is the key.

Or just screw it all and juice your way to being big. :D

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
ive heard of it...its BS pretty much, but does work in some cases....not for people that power lift.....

creatine, protein, and arginine are all you need

EDIT: and proper diet, a good lifting workout, and proper form...

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Landroval
like 98% of supplements.

I'd trust Spamela over anyone else here -- :Q at the sig :thumbsup:

thanks, although Rudee hasn't checked in yet.

the only things i use are protein shakes & creatine.
of course, you can't get HUUUGE without these tasty little things.

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002

yeah it can add water to your body, certain types of creatine, and new type called CE-2 does not and it is very quickley absorbed by your body

Dogg

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Nutdotnet
like 98% of supplements.

Yup, you're absolutley right bud. ESPECIALLY the stuff at GNC. Now, they carry good products, but christ, the markup on there stuff is absolutley insane.

Protein and Creatine. That's all you need, and you could probably do without the creatine. I use it because I do see results.

Proper diet and proper exercise is the key.

Or just screw it all and juice your way to being big. :D

hahaha are you kidding me, the markup on some stuff is below the 10% mark, anystore you go into they will have large markups, its called retail. but to say everything is hugely marked up, is totally incorrect. My margin on alot of the products is next to nile. So please don;t tell me the mark up is insane.

Dogg

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
i have done decent without supplements. Just eat an 8oz steak, chicken breast or equivalent each day.

mi xiao

Jun 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Judgement

Yes, you do gain weight due to the body's retention of water while on creatine.

either way i saw MAJOR results.
i was very very happy with my power lifting/weight training results.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Anyone have any real proof of creatine's efficacy? Not annecdotes, not celebrity endorsement but real scientific journal articles? I'd even go as liberal as Scientific American if you got it.