For those who are against Universal Heath care. Why are you not for charging for other services?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Docnasty

Jan 25, 2009
You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
As for UHC being unconstitutional, that's silly. The government most certainly has that power as backed by god only knows how much precedent.

It didn't use to be silly. A broad reading of Supreme Court cases and Congressional debates from the 1800's would show a much stricter view of federal powers as being the broadly-accepted understanding. CAD's view was at one time the universal view. However, as I already noted above, that theory's been dead for years now, and isn't coming back anytime soon, so it's a moot point.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: lokiju
Why is it always the argument of "the rest of the world does xyz!"?

Who cares? Seriously.

We're America, the greatest country in the world and it's not because we started this country to be in the image of all others, we started it to get away from how things were done in others.

I just do not understand that line of thinking at all.

Your line of thinking is what's hard to understand. America is subject to the same Needs and Issues as everyone else. Why not look to see how Others have addressed(successfully) the Issues? Seems stupid to be different for the sake of being different.

Ironic coming from Mr. Ultranationalist Canada...

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Slick5150
I could post a thousand more stories about "medical tourism". Americans ARE traveling out of the country for medical care. A LOT of them.

The reason it's cheaper elsewhere is because other countries don't allow multi-million dollar lawsuits over even the most trivial of malpractice issues.

Reduce the financial liability of our health care and you'll probably see prices drop like a rock.

But dammit this is America where we have the right to become millionaires through the legal system!

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Mursilis

As I said already, I like UHC in theory, but I don't see these efficiencies translating to our nation, for a bunch of reasons, including our population, health habits, litigation issues, quality of care expections, etc. Plus, our gov't has a history of vastly under-estimating the costs and growth of major programs. I can't find the numbers now, but growth and costs of things like SS and Medicare exploded well beyond projections 10-20 years ago. Every time the gov't here in the US has attempted to offer anything close to UHC, they've had to scale it back - look at the various attempts at UHC on the state level. Additionally, look at the VA system. For years, the Federal gov't attempted to in essence offer UHC to all veterans, but eventually had to scale that back into a prioritized system of tiers due to cost overruns. I suppose we'll never really know until we try, but I think there's a decent factual basis for skepticism over the efficiencies of UHC. It's really going to depend on the model enacted, obviously, but can we really trust our current political class to fashion an efficient, cost-effective system? I have my doubts.

No, he's just plain wrong - Deficits are a SPENDING problem, not a "tax policy problem". Taxes and it's policies are not a cost - which is what causes deficits. But we've been over this all before and libs don't understand such simple things...

As to the UHC portion - there is ZERO way for me to support such a plan. The Feds do NOT have the power to do it per the Constitution. They are supposed to be limited in their power, but since FDR faqed the system, it's been bloating ever since. It's a disgrace to our founding fathers...

Did you really have to come in and add this stupid crap? I know you're trying to shoehorn this into the same old refrain, but it's not needed or wanted. If you think we're spending too much that's fine, but the substance of what Mursilis and I were talking about has nothing to do with that issue, so just stop. Please.

As for UHC being unconstitutional, that's silly. The government most certainly has that power as backed by god only knows how much precedent.

Get bent. You spouted off about deficit and "tax policy" and I correctly called you out on it. Deal with it.

The only thing that is "silly" is how some of you people don't see how the Constitution was set up and why. It was to limit these sorts of gov't controls and take overs. Wrong supposed "precedent" doesn't mean squat when it comes to the Constitution. Again, deal with it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Get bent. You spouted off about deficit and "tax policy" and I correctly called you out on it. Deal with it.

The only thing that is "silly" is how some of you people don't see how the Constitution was set up and why. It was to limit these sorts of gov't controls and take overs. Wrong supposed "precedent" doesn't mean squat when it comes to the Constitution. Again, deal with it.

No you didn't. You're trying to use a silly argument that spending is the cause of deficits instead of tax policy. Your definition could only work if the government could theoretically spend zero dollars, which obviously it cannot. Since spending is a certainty, the question is how the taxation relates to what we are spending in terms of deficits. So once again, please stop.

You are more than welcome to think whatever you want about the Constitution. The Supreme Court disagrees with you and has disagreed with you for decades and decades and decades. I'm sure you think you know better than they do, but you frequently think you know better than people who are much better informed than yourself. This is nothing new.

My understanding of the Constitution squares with the way the country is run, and the ruling of the highest court in the land. I don't have to deal with anything, you do.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Originally posted by: Slick5150
I could post a thousand more stories about "medical tourism". Americans ARE traveling out of the country for medical care. A LOT of them.

The reason it's cheaper elsewhere is because other countries don't allow multi-million dollar lawsuits over even the most trivial of malpractice issues.

Reduce the financial liability of our health care and you'll probably see prices drop like a rock.

But dammit this is America where we have the right to become millionaires through the legal system!

There are fewer malpractice lawsuits in most foreign countries, but that isn't THE reason why medical care is so much cheaper there.

But at the same time, if a doctor screws something up that kills or causes considerable harm to a patient, you're damn right they have a right to sue for damages. Everyone always bitches and moans about the legal system until they're the one that's been harmed.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
Originally posted by: Cogman
Life is cheap, why isn't health care?

Health care will NEVER be cheap. One way or another, someone is footing the bill. (or in our country we are just saying "Put it on our tab!"... However, as we are seeing, you can't do that forever).

We can afford to liberate and rebuild Iraq but we can't afford to give our own citizens basic health care?

Wait, I thought we couldn't afford the Iraq war? Make up your mind please.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
Originally posted by: BoberFett

Health care will NEVER be cheap. One way or another, someone is footing the bill. (or in our country we are just saying "Put it on our tab!"... However, as we are seeing, you can't do that forever).

We can afford to liberate and rebuild Iraq but we can't afford to give our own citizens basic health care?

Let's put it this way. The Iraq war is like buying a Hummer. UHC would be like paying for school. Both are expensive, but you don't need the Hummer.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SammyJr

Let's put it this way. The Iraq war is like buying a Hummer. UHC would be like paying for school. Both are expensive, but you don't need the Hummer.

And we all know that most Americans would rather drive a Hummer than go to school. That's probably why Bush was president for two terms.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008

And we all know that most Americans would rather drive a Hummer than go to school. That's probably why Bush was president for two terms.

Sad but probably true.

gingermeggs

Golden Member
Dec 22, 2008

Who cares? Seriously.

We're America, the greatest country in the world and it's not because we started this country to be in the image of all others, we started it to get away from how things were done in others.

No, your predecessors did it to get out of paying taxes and being controlled by your mother land, Great Briton. The saddest thing is, all that happened is, you became the "new boss"(on the macro)....but isn't that what ben franklin saw in his crystal ball?
Things do change and the rest of the world are amalgamating into grouped currency to stop the financial usury by the likes of the USA and UK. European union will be the next player at the table in my opinion to be finally eclipsed by the Asian dollar(when that happens, this next decade).

You will care when your not so powerful anymore.....................

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
You don't need 7-8 years of post undergrad schooling to become a police officer.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

One doesn't NEED UHC either... nor do we NEED all the existing schools either. Horrible analogy.

Rustler

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
promote the general welfare........................

On Aug. 13, 1946, Law 725, known as the "Hill-Burton Act," went into effect, as an amendment to the existing Public Health Service Act. Only nine pages long, the Hill-Burton Act mandated Federal and local cooperation and funding, to achieve the goal of having a community hospital in every county, and to guarantee hospital and related care to all citizens. In rural areas, the mandate was a ratio of 5.5 beds per 1,000 (sparsely settled regions require redundancy); and in urban areas, the ratio was set at 4.5 beds per 1,000. During the initial years, 1946-50, 600 new general hospitals opened, with an average of 40 hospitals added per year through the mid-1960s.

At the same time that this hospital construction boom was providing many of the 3,089 U.S. counties with their first hospital ever, various public-health services and applied medical R&D programs were expanded. Polio and TB were all but eliminated, and other diseases were reduced. By the mid-1970s, the Hill-Burton goal of 4.5 beds per 1,000 was nearly reached as the national average. Amendments to the Hill-Burton Act in 1954 authorized funds for chronic care facilities, and, in 1965, the Medicare and Medicaid health insurance programs were begun.

Richard Nixon repealed this in 1973 with the support of Democrats...................

"health maintenance organizations" program?a for-profit, cost-cutting medical intervention, as a foot-in-the-door to replace the existing, workable U.S. public-health and hospital system. Over the next decades, the HMO system has had its intended outcome: undermining U.S. medical infrastructure to the point of today's health-care crisis.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak

One doesn't NEED UHC either... nor do we NEED all the existing schools either. Horrible analogy.

You're definitely in the minority if you're opposed to schooling.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: sandorski

Who cares? Seriously.

Your line of thinking is what's hard to understand. America is subject to the same Needs and Issues as everyone else. Why not look to see how Others have addressed(successfully) the Issues? Seems stupid to be different for the sake of being different.

Aren't most of the countries offering UHC running deficits on a regular basis? I don't know how that's "successful". I've haven't looked at all the numbers, so maybe there are actually decent-sized nations able to offer UHC to thier citizens and able to balance the budget at the same time. I'd be grateful if you cite examples. I'm open to UHC in theory, but I have huge doubts about how it would be implemented here, since major gov't programs here in the US have a proven history of out-of-control costs and growth.

Deficits are unique to them? Last I checked the US was running the same Deficits. Canada for eg, has not had a Deficit(excepting the curent Economic Recession) for a Decade.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Current estimates put U.S. health care spending at approximately 15.2% of GDP, second only to the tiny Marshall Islands among all United Nations member nations.[1] The health share of GDP is expected to continue its historical upward trend, reaching 19.5 percent of GDP by 2017.[19][20]

The Office of the Actuary (OACT) of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services publishes data on total health care spending in the United States, including both historical levels and future projections.[21] In 2007, the U.S. spent $2.26 trillion on health care, or $7,439 per person

In 2005 total health care expenditure in Denmark equalled approximately 16.8 billion USD (PPP). This equals 3,108 USD (PPP) per capita

In 2005, Danish health care expenditures as share of GDP constituted 9.4%

As we clearly see private healthcare is much cheaper than public........

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak

You're definitely in the minority if you're opposed to schooling.

Evidently you failed at the reading comprehension section. We certainly do not need all the existing schools in this country. The school I graduated from is a money hole. With a graduating class of 70 it also carries the second largest local school tax in the county. I am absolutely all for closing down that school and having its students merge into an area high school that does not have such a high burden per student to the tax payer.

You also did not specify public or private schooling. I am also for public parents paying for public schooling and stop this crap where childless taxpayers are burdened for services that they can never use.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
I want to understand why anyone believes they would have free health care (excepting medicaid)

I once heard an nutjob back when Hillary was pushing for this say "People shouldn't pay for health care, the government should" I was dumbstruck. Since then I've gotten accustomed to the stupidity surrounding the myth of "free" health care, but have understood whatever failed reasoning they use.

People say that all the time, and I don't see how you can think that it would be considered 'free' from that statement. People also say that 'government should pay/provide for the defense of the country'. Do you think that implies that they believe the military is free?

The people ARE the government, and as I saw the interview, it was clear that this person didn't want to pay for it. He wanted it for nothing.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
It just makes logical sense for the state to administer health care.

The misstep in logic for both sides is greed. "not my dollars, i cant afford it" "not my dollars for someone elses care".

My point of view is that UHC would correct a lot of the issues the poor have with health care. Every 1st AND 2nd world nation with the exception of the US has some form of UHC / UHI.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
This whole thread is one big FAIL. So much so that someone should find a way to put this entire thing on a fail poster.

You know what it boils down to? WE DON'T KNOW. No one knows what we should do or what is best. There is not one instance of a truly successful UHC program in place in the entire world. There is always some good and some bad. The thing is that a program that works in one part of the world may not work in another part of the world. In some cases, one program may be better in one way but worse in another. This is why there are so many variations around the world. It's because no one has found that perfect solution yet. We don't know yet how to solve this problem. If you say that the US should have a healthcare system just like XXX country, then you're an idiot because:

1. Country XXX does not have a perfect system. So trying to force it on others is not a good idea.
2. The US will be a very different market so what may work in country XXX will not necessarily work in the US.

Anyone who believes that we should take ANY action is stupid unless you are an expert in this field and have spent years researching the problem looking for a solution. I'm sure that no one on these boards fits that criteria.

I admit, I don't have enough information to make an informed decision on this topic. Neither do you. The difference is that I openly admit that I don't know while you are ignorant of the fact that you are ignorant.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: XZeroII
This whole thread is one big FAIL. So much so that someone should find a way to put this entire thing on a fail poster.

You know what it boils down to? WE DON'T KNOW. No one knows what we should do or what is best. There is not one instance of a truly successful UHC program in place in the entire world. There is always some good and some bad. The thing is that a program that works in one part of the world may not work in another part of the world. In some cases, one program may be better in one way but worse in another. This is why there are so many variations around the world. It's because no one has found that perfect solution yet. We don't know yet how to solve this problem. If you say that the US should have a healthcare system just like XXX country, then you're an idiot because:

1. Country XXX does not have a perfect system. So trying to force it on others is not a good idea.
2. The US will be a very different market so what may work in country XXX will not necessarily work in the US.

Anyone who believes that we should take ANY action is stupid unless you are an expert in this field and have spent years researching the problem looking for a solution. I'm sure that no one on these boards fits that criteria.

I admit, I don't have enough information to make an informed decision on this topic. Neither do you. The difference is that I openly admit that I don't know while you are ignorant of the fact that you are ignorant.

There you have it, We can't have an Opinion or make Informed Comments!

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: XZeroII

Well...I guess we will all just stop talking about it now.