For 25 years of my life playing video games...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
Originally posted by: Clair de Lune
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
have you tried thief 3? there's a part of the game where you play through an abandoned orphanage.... but it's not totally abandoned. At the start of the level you hear banging off in the distance. As you progress through the level and move closer and closer to the attic of the orphanage, the banging gets progressively louder and louder...

Well, what's the banging once you find out?

i dunno :(

my system crashed and i lost all my savegames. And I REALLY didn't feel like playing through it again to get back to that place.... brrrrr.

Oh gawdangit! You can't just build it up like that and then not tell us! RELOAD and report back!

Oh, Clive Barker's Undying ruined all other scary videogames for me. FEAR and AvP were pretty good, but they're not even close to Undying.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Another vote for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines in the Haunted House, and the Hospital was pretty freaky too. Haven't finished the game yet, am currently in Hollywood.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: OCNewbie
Another vote for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines in the Haunted House, and the Hospital was pretty freaky too. Haven't finished the game yet, am currently in Hollywood.

I started telling out loud and turned the lights on when I played the Haunted House part. It still didn't hold a candle to System Shock 2 though. You're a fellow monster in VtM:B. You are just human, augmented, but human in SS2 and totally alone. So many shadows... I lost count of the times I jumped.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Imp
Originally posted by: OCNewbie

I started telling out loud and turned the lights on when I played the Haunted House part. It still didn't hold a candle to System Shock 2 though. You're a fellow monster in VtM:B. You are just human, augmented, but human in SS2 and totally alone. So many shadows... I lost count of the times I jumped.

"In the eyes of the Many..."

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
L4D scarey? :confused:

FEAR in some parts, Doom 3 till i stopped playing because it got annoying was scarey, but L4D?

Each to their own i suppose.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: n7
L4D scarey? :confused:

FEAR in some parts, Doom 3 till i stopped playing because it got annoying was scarey, but L4D?

Each to their own i suppose.

L4D isn't scary but it does creat an eerie atmosphere which is especially difficult since it's basically a multiplayer only game.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Deadspace. The combination of eerie music, players POV and enemy design really scared the shit outta me at times.

psihog

Sep 21, 2003
Originally posted by: tk149

Oh, Clive Barker's Undying ruined all other scary videogames for me. FEAR and AvP were pretty good, but they're not even close to Undying.

ya, Undying's one of best horror games that no one played.. Before that was probably the Realms of Haunting.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I've had a few moments in Fallout 3 that might qualify. In general, that game shouldn't be that scary because you have a radar that shows you enemy markers. Except when you let your guard down because you don't see any enemy markers and end up getting ambushed from behind by those creepy feral ghouls :eek:.

Also, I was looking at the Fallout 3 Wiki and ended up seeing some spoilers about a certain building that might be on the same level as the haunted house from VTM:B......

(haven't explored it yet myself)

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
you know was keeps the living turd constipated inside of me? Getting L4D and being very very happy with it... thinking I'm on a roll w/ gaming success.... then getting Fallout3 (which is supposed to be better).... and not getting it go past "new game". that's horror

if a developer could encapsulate that into the next 'witch' in the l4d series..... people will be crying/crapping/dying @ their keyboards

Harmattan

Oct 3, 2006
The Witch in L4D didn't really do it for me. I guess it's because she's so easy to find and avoid... there's not really any surprise or story involved.

A couple game moments that scared the sh3t out of me and/or were horrific:

- Fear: the birthing scene and anytime the girl pops up
- Dead Space: most of the scenes with Nicole, especially at the end sequence
- Condemned 1 & 2: most of the darker scenes; the doll factory; the bear chase
- The tomb scenes in Wolfenstein
- RE4: Most of the game
- Thief 2 & 3: The entire games are creepy with apexes in several unique levels like the treetop levels (T2) and the orphanage (T3)

I think once a game introduces elements that are completely unbeleivable and skew too far from the initial storyline (e.g., the supernatural elements in Condemned 2, the horde in Halo), it immediately loses its fear factor. Subtility is key. The only exception is if the game starts out ridiculously outlandish to begin with like in Doom 3 -- then there's license to be stupid.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'll just go ahead and admit that the Ravenholm level in HL2 was creepy the first time I played it. HL2 was my first game in the HL series by the way, so I loved it and got really into it. I've played through that level several times since then and it's not at all scary, but the first it was pretty creepy to me.

I loved the part in the Medical Pavilion of Bioshock when the splicer is standing right behind you. Definitely got a jump out of me.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Any game that has a little girl as some kind of enemy. You know if it's a little girl it's ganna pack a big punch. It's especially bad if they do their little girl laugh and it echos. The witch isn't that scary though.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Clair de Lune
Good god, they designed her just perfectly. She's not just in-your-face scary, she's freaking WEEPING alone that echoes through the buildings. The closer you get to her, then the scary music accompanies the weeping.

The way her legs are cast aside on the floor and crying like a real woman, witnessing her alone sends the chill down my spine.

I'd have to admit no other games to date have scared me this much. And I play lots of horror games. Before that it was Doom II Monster Condo level (27). That was perfect too. The levels are dark, eerily and the soundtrack is just perfect.

Umm, n00b, games are NOT girls.

TroyEade

Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by: psihog

ya, Undying's one of best horror games that no one played.. Before that was probably the Realms of Haunting.

Undying is a great game, and loved the use of sound on it to strengthen the eeriness of it. Still got the CD kicking around somewhere.

Harmattan

Oct 3, 2006
Originally posted by: TroyEade

Undying is a great game, and loved the use of sound on it to strengthen the eeriness of it. Still got the CD kicking around somewhere.

Totally forgot to list Undying. A great game with a truly scary story. I really enjoyed the Poe-esque atmosphere and art. Isn't a sequal rumored to be in development?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
System Shock 2 in general and the Marine campaign in AvP 1 stand out for me. The atmosphere in SS2 was so intense... the sounds and voices so perfect, the music,the PDA messages... the corridors... the story you discover... How such a great achievement, first FTL ship, pride of humanity, a dream, ended so bad... perfect :)

And Marine in AvP? You just knew you would die in a moment. No quick save too. And the fact that you had a powerful gun and a radar didn't help one bit :D Frankly, the beeping just made thigns worse :D I jumped so many times in this game it's not funny. My friend was watching once over my shoulder when we were looking for something in an elevator shaft or something... Faces glued to the screen and then a bloody facehugger jumps us. My friend landed on the floor a good meter away :p

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Most recent game that scared me...probably bioshock. I had a few nervous moments in fallout 3 and gears of war, but not particularly scary, just "omg, I'm gonna die."

The witch did not scare me, mainly because the opening video kind of clues you in on what's up with her.

I started telling out loud and turned the lights on when I played the Haunted House part. It still didn't hold a candle to System Shock 2 though. You're a fellow monster in VtM:B.

Haunted house part didn't really bug me. That's mainly because I realized pretty quickly that there weren't any enemies in it.

I never really felt weak in VTM:B either. Like you said, you're a monster. I was a Malkavian, so I had powers that easily took care of any mortal, no matter how powerful, and would turn them against vampires and monsters. For everything else, by the end of the game I had tons of overpowered weapons with ammo that wasn't being used on humans. Not to mention you could get some ridiculously badass swords, despite being a malkavian I was able to charge right through hordes of powerful enemies slicing and dicing. I was pretty dependent on feeding frenzies to restore health and blood power though. (or just repeated mashing of the F key until it worked)

LS8

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2008
I was hoping Left 4 Dead would be really scary and dark but really it's just slightly creepy, if that. Most of the time I find myself just laughing.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I never get scared in l4d. There is just too much activity to really give you a boo moment. Doom3 now that scared me. Lots of boo moments in that one.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: LS8
I was hoping Left 4 Dead would be really scary and dark but really it's just slightly creepy, if that. Most of the time I find myself just laughing.

Yea it's campy to the max which is what they were going for and they did it fairly well.

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
The elemental dude from bioshock. the one that can warp all around. I think I was doing something and facing a table and turned around and he was standing right behind me. Freaked the crap out of me.

Witch not so much. Actually L4d is the least scary now that I've played infected.

They made it so you hear the witch a mile away.

-Turn off lights
-If avoidable, walk around
-If not, stand back and open fire all at the same time
-profit

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Yep, I agree that L4D isn't scary at all, especially since you have 3 teammates.

At least for me, games where you have enemies coming at you non-stop (so, pretty much all online FPSs) don't feel scary. It's those games where there's a lull and either a) you let your guard down and get surprised, or b) you're on edge because you're not sure if there are any enemies around or not -- those are the scary ones.

With L4D, you know that regular infected are everywhere, and with special infected, their audio cues give away where they are. I think even certain parts of Oblivion (the trapped dungeons) were more scary than L4D.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: TroyEade

I gave my CD away and deleted the game from my hard drive. There's no way I'm ever playing that horror again.