For 25 years of my life playing video games...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Zenoth
She's a very well designed "monster" indeed, the music that accompanies her crying and despair is fitting just right, but there's absolutely nothing scary to her at all, in my opinion. In fact I think Left4Dead is more of a comedy than anything else, it's only the darkness of the levels that make it seem "scary", the rest is just so cliché/stereotype and exaggerated, and on purpose too, I remember Gabe Newell referring to the game as an interactive B-Movie zombie apocalypse.

The one game that gave me the creeps on several occasions is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, especially the X-18 Labs, and the forest level in Clear Sky in night time as well, but even in day time can be quite stressing, at least for me.

Stalker was creepy as fuck when you went underground. The scariest part though was when my wife would screech at the same time the monsters attacked while watching me play. Talk about surround sound!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Games that have scared me.
FEAR - following a guy around a corner, who disappeared in a dead end hallway then turning around and he was right there, then vanished. - only one that physically made me jump.

Bioshock- couple instances where I thought there was nothing there, but it was.

Stalker - as mentioned, underground areas.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
@OP:
if you were scared that bad then I imagine a potent earthquake would give you a heart attack.

jdelrio22

Feb 14, 2006
Originally posted by: nosfe
what? nobody played AvP(2) around here?

They really don't make them like they used to. The human campaign in that game made me jump and drop my mouse on more occasions than Dead Space has so far. The tension was just awesome like in the part I believe it was at the beginning where you go into a room, you hear this banging sound, look around and see something slamming the door, then the grate on the floor. Just awesome!

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
My most oh sh!t moment was in Bioshock, when I was in the surgical wing and I was looking through a desk only to turn around and have a splicer just standing there behind me...scared the hell out me.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
punch the witch in the face

right before she incapacitates you in one hit and proceeds to rape your prostrate body...

on anything less than expert yes, otherwise you're dead on the first hit :D

of course if you crown her...

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006

right before she incapacitates you in one hit and proceeds to rape your prostrate body...

How do you kill her in 1 shot ? headshot from rifle or shotgun?

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Witch aint that bad, even on expert.

Now Tanks...thems is scary, but not in a "scared" way. Nothing about L4D is frightening, the whole thing is a zombie movie inside joke, which is why it's so damn fun.

As for scary game stuff, there's lots of it out there.

STALKER: SoC in the underground/lab portions
STALKER: CS in the red forest

Clive Barker's Undying was hands down the best horror-shooter ever made, even if it is old now. Too bad Jericho was such a stinker. Obviously it was the team, not Clive, that made Undying so good.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Honestly besides the first resident evil nothing has freaked me out more than the Pulse meter readings from the marines in Alien Versus Predator 2 PC.

Dark lighting..eery sounds..and then the PING..PING..PING PING PING *face gets ripped off*

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
My vote goes for the little girl from F.E.A.R. I'm pretty good at reminding myself these things are just games but she was just downright eerie. Made me jump more than once!

QuadDamage2k

Dec 23, 2007
I was playing yesterday, on vs and my whole team was dead and I was making a break to the safe room after the 2nd level. There was a witch right in front of the saferoom. What kind of shit is that. Everyone that had a mic started laughing. I was at 10 health and i tryed to jump over her. Didn't happen. Got owned :) It was great.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Originally posted by: QuadDamage2k
I was playing yesterday, on vs and my whole team was dead and I was making a break to the safe room after the 2nd level. There was a witch right in front of the saferoom. What kind of shit is that. Everyone that had a mic started laughing. I was at 10 health and i tryed to jump over her. Didn't happen. Got owned :) It was great.

They once spawned a survivor I was rescuing in the same room a witch was in.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
the witch might have been scary the first time but like everything in that game it gets old after a bunch of times. i haven't been really scared in any game so far come to think of it.

S

SlitheryDee

I didn't find L4D scary in the slightest. Dead Space is the only game in recent memory that has actually frightened me while playing.

Originally posted by: Modelworks

FEAR - following a guy around a corner, who disappeared in a dead end hallway then turning around and he was right there, then vanished. - only one that physically made me jump.

Ooh that reminds me of the only other game that I can remember actually scaring me. That part in F.E.A.R. early in the game where you start to climb down a ladder and just as your character is turning around to face it you see the little girl RIGHT EFFING THERE. That nearly made me jump outta my skin the first time I saw it.

mokylim

Jul 5, 2007
To hell with those games you guys say its scary.....

downright eerie games ive ever played is SILENT HILL (part 1) and DOOM 3. now thats a shit a** scary game... the sound/score or whatever you call it is scary as hell on both games!

Hajpoj

Dec 9, 2006
I am 20 and have been playing over 75% of my life. That percentage will draw ever closer to that fabeled 100% asymptote as my life draws to a close. (99.999999999% is the goal)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
I didn't find L4D scary in the slightest. Dead Space is the only game in recent memory that has actually frightened me while playing.

Ooh that reminds me of the only other game that I can remember actually scaring me. That part in F.E.A.R. early in the game where you start to climb down a ladder and just as your character is turning around to face it you see the little girl RIGHT EFFING THERE. That nearly made me jump outta my skin the first time I saw it.

LOL...yeah, that was in the demo...I think it was what made me buy the game. I mean, ladders suck anyway since you're kind of helpless on them.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Rebel44

How do you kill her in 1 shot ? headshot from rifle or shotgun?

A direct shotgun blast to her head. The hunting rifle headshot just makes her more angry.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
If you're trying to get the achievement, here's the easy way. Start single-player (any difficulty). Open console and type "sv_cheats 1" and "z_spawn witch", then turn off cheats by typing "sv_cheats 0".

Pick up a shotgun, approach from behind, and blast her in the face to get the achievement. If you fail, try try again. Hitboxes can be a little wonky, so it took me a few tries. :)

Scariest game I've played was FEAR. As for super-tense gameplay, NOTHING has been more tense than playing as the Marine in the original AVP. FEAR approaches that "I just know something's around that corner" feel, but doesn't quite equal it. Maybe it's the horror factor.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: nosfe
what? nobody played AvP(2) around here?

The demo was one of the scariest games I have played, but the actual retail game wasn't nearly as scary; since they made the human character much stronger. It was a really cool game though - I just wish I could find it again.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'm not scared of the witch at all... :p I just run up to her with my auto-shotty and one hit, she's gone.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee

That part was so freaky.