For $100 Billion USD, wouuld you....

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
It would only be moral if you spent every cent of it on saving other people. Otherwise you might as well be a contract killer right now - you're just negotiating the price.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: gotsmack
Originally posted by: virtualgames0

For those of you who said you wouldn't do it..
How would you respond to this scenario:
You are given $100 Billion USD, and you have a choice. You can choose to pay God(figuratively), the $100 Billion, and it will save a man(same case as OP) from dying from a lightning strike. Or, you can choose to keep the money, and the man dies.
In this situation, what would you do?

Another question.. would you sacrafice yourself, if doing so would result in $1 trillion USD donation for AIDS/cancer/world hunger/etc.

I said I wouldn't kill the guy.

But In this case, I would NOT pay the money to save the guy either.

and I DEFINATELY would NOT sacrifice myself if a lot of money was promised to research.

The guy and everyone else has no right to demand me to give up what is mine. Just as I have no right to take away what is not mine.

screwed up huh?

Interesting.
In both cases, the man dies if you choose to keep the money. The only difference is that in one, you are doing the killing, and the other, god is doing the killing. It shows that you wouldn't kill the guy not because you really care much if he dies.. but the act of killing is so wrong to you that you wouldn't do it.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
yeah, I'd kill an older erson who is fighting for life everyday and is in severe pain, maybe in coma... th'd be easy.

dotcom173

Jan 16, 2006
i would do it!

i was contemplating killing someone in real life for a damn honda s2000.....shows what kinda person i am.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
I'd do it for much much less... If I actually got 100 billion for it I would probably donate 99 and keep the last, because theres no way I would ever spend 1 billion in my whole life.. It would probably be enough to make my family rich for 10 generations lol

I cannot believe some people say no to this... Either way you look at it, its better to kill the man

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Stunt
I'd ask him at gun point if he'd kill me for $100 Billion, if he says yes...he dies.

And if he says no, you kill him for being a liar?

This isn't a good question, only because far more people would be willing to do this than are willing to admit it publicly.

WraithETC

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
That one is no fun.

A)You kill person A
B)You kill person B
C)If you don't kill either they both die.

While it is immoral to kill someone is it immoral not to save someone?

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: WraithETC
That one is no fun.

A)You kill person A
B)You kill person B

The means cannot justify the end. Hence, you cannot kill human life to save it.

/thread

Vortex22

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper0329
That one is no fun.

A)You kill person A
B)You kill person B

/thread

Except in his example, he clearly CAN kill human life to save it. Not arguing morality here, just logic.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Vortex22
Originally posted by: Viper0329
That one is no fun.

A)You kill person A
B)You kill person B

/thread

Except in his example, he clearly CAN kill human life to save it. Not arguing morality here, just logic.

Sure, he CAN kill life to save it, but it doesn't mean he SHOULD. Two different questions.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
hmm..after some thinking...YES !

There have been wars fought over oil or whatever which might total for even LESS than $100 bil....and people get in the army and kill, but in the case of a war it's seen as a "good cause". That money would be enough to probably save his whole country from starving, boost economy etc..

I'd feel bad, for sure, but then knowing what can be done with that money should outweigh this.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
WTF? Why not? I killed numerous Vietnamese for the rich sum of $411.80/month...sone unknown tribesman would hardly affect my conscience any more than some of those days did...
$100 billion? PROFIT!

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
No. I do that, and I'm going to Hell.

God made the world. He made the poor, he made the rich. He didn't give me the right to kill anyone - even if it was to help the poor. The poor will get their reward in heaven anyways. Why screw any chance I have with murder (for greed)?

God made the poor and made the rich.

So..i am just STATING tat, in my opinion, MANY rich did NOT get rich by being good humans. Power/Wealth are OFTEN tied to surpression/violence, ruthlessness and being selfish and taking advantage of others. I dont think that "god" would reward this by making such people rich and leave them rich despites al their evil doings etc......and other people who are p!ss honest and hard workers barely have food to eat.

What a naive view.....:(

Also..."greed" would imply that you take all the money for yourself....and as i said above..I would certainly feel horrible about killing that guy....but this amount of money could eg. save his whole country, assuming its some 3rd world country. So...feeling bad about the killing i would give a huge chunk of that money and make sure it does good for hundreds of thousands of people.

Of course, i'd also get that 100" plasma and whatever else for MYSELF :)

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Rapidskies
Man what a bunch of losers. Being part of the richest nation in the world and being at the top 1% in world income isn't enough you would actually take a life to make more money. Money is meaningless if you have your basic needs (food, shelter) taken care of, and if you are posting on atot I'm going to assume you have your basic needs covered. Life passes by in a blink of an eye, that aged man in the walker struggling to make it across the street was a mother's new born baby not to long ago, I bet he would trade all the money he had for some youth (time) back. Yet a bunch of young mental midget contract killers out there, would *theoretically* be ready to throw someone under the bus so they can buy some new things that will only complicate their lives more. Wake up numbnuts because your already rich.

you have a point.

But i assume this guy is a tribesman and there are MANY (millions) of people in his country starving, under-developed, un-educated.

Yes...someone WOULD give me the opportunity to play God, almost literally..because i'd kill someone but i can also give a huge amount of this money towards his country and save lifes. So ? Afraid of playing God ? :)

What if you say.,...NO...i'd never do that..which is VERY understandable.

And then read in the paper the next day about what ever untreated diseases they have in that country and how many millions are starving there ? Wouldnt you feel like an idiot ? You would chose the one man's life over the others ?

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: Atheus
It would only be moral if you spent every cent of it on saving other people. Otherwise you might as well be a contract killer right now - you're just negotiating the price.

This is the credited response.

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Kalvin00
anyone who denies is fvcking talking out their ass.

if you laid $1 MILLION dollars in front of somebody, they would do just about anything you wanted to have that money.

Wow.. that's cary...

Would you really do ANYTHING for just 1 million?
I hope you are very young.. 1 million is nothing, and won't change your life a bit...

Now, anything over 1 Billion is different, but I am not sure it pays for living with the idea you killed for money.

Maybe it's because I don't need money, and never did.. but I probably wouldn't kill for ANY amount of money. Peace of mind comes number 1.