For $100 Billion USD, wouuld you....

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fasil

Oct 17, 2006
so this 100 billion is generate from thin air and does not take money from other sources? this question is highly scewed

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
there are very few things I would NOT do for $100 billion. off the top of my head, do something crazy to myself like cut off an arm or something like that.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I sure would and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Considering the tribesman would probably die of AIDS/malaria/TB/etc, I would just be speeding up his death by a few years. You can do a lot of good with $100 billion. On second thought I would just invest it and spend the capital gains on fighting diseases, building infrastructure, etc.

Kill one man to help elevate millions out of poverty and drastically reduce mortality rates? I sure as hell would and I would hope any sane man would as well.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Considering we've all indirectly killed people with our tax dollars and consumption habits, I'm not so sure there's a huge moral void in directly killing someone for 100 billion dollars.

Besides, a vast majority of you are lying out your ass. You'd do it for 1 million. People get killed on a daily basis for less than a dollar. I find it hard to believe that everyone on AT just happens to be an exception. How many murders are there in the US each year that involve robbery? Quite a few. I don't think all the robberies in the past 100 years of this nation would reach 100 billion dollars.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
When you start getting into those numbers, there isn't much I won't do.

100 Billion dollars would get me to do almost anything. There is much good I could accomplish with that much money.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Rapidskies
Man what a bunch of losers. Being part of the richest nation in the world and being at the top 1% in world income isn't enough you would actually take a life to make more money. Money is meaningless if you have your basic needs (food, shelter) taken care of, and if you are posting on atot I'm going to assume you have your basic needs covered. Life passes by in a blink of an eye, that aged man in the walker struggling to make it across the street was a mother's new born baby not to long ago, I bet he would trade all the money he had for some youth (time) back. Yet a bunch of young mental midget contract killers out there, would *theoretically* be ready to throw someone under the bus so they can buy some new things that will only complicate their lives more. Wake up numbnuts because your already rich.

:thumbsup:

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
i mean, the guy was going to die anyway, i am just helping to speed things along. that's the kind of person i am, a helper.

imported_Crusader

Feb 12, 2006
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
[EDIT]
This really borders on the quantification of life. It's also a nice way to surface the Ethics 101. $100 billion dollars at a death of one man OR saving thousands (and more) with the money? Logics dictate the you'd be a FOOL to not to kill the man.

[EDIT2]
I would actually say yes. I'd probably be traumatized for the rest of my life but think of all the good you can do. Actually let's think REVERSE- think of all the boys/girls/men that could die of poverty because you didn't get $100 billion dollars. You're short sighted if you don't kill him for $100 Billion dollars. It all boils down to- kill 1 man to save thousands....? which?

No. You cant perform good with evil means.
Killing a man doenst justify gaining money to "save" others. Why?

You cannot quantify life like that.
That man you killed for 100billion could have had the child (had he lived) that saved 10X the number of lives you were going to with your money.
Maybe an invention, maybe something else.. maybe he makes four-times the money you do in your life.. through peaceful means.. and does far more good than your truley twisted soul wouldve with your billions.

Example would be Bill Gates, regardless of his business tactics, he did in the end rightfully earn his money (this isnt really something to debate in this thread.. but its true).

Not only does actually -earning- your money matter to build your character, but I'd rather trust him being the worlds biggest philanthropist than a murderer, such as yourself.

Being a murderer and thinking that logic is OK alone, disqualifies you from being a responsible candidate for distributing that 100billion.
You already proved yourself irrational IMO. I wouldnt want you "saving" me with your money!!!

Its the same reason you shouldnt abort a child.. that could be the next Einstein or save millions of lives in his life.
Nature kills enough, and WE kill enough of each other through war.. we dont need to be encouraging murder for money.

Money is a concept that we all agree on.
It isnt real.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
I would tell the man that I'll give his family $1 billion if he does it himself.

And he'd reply "Unga unga, gridik gridik, hoooooo!!"

imported_Crusader

Feb 12, 2006
Man what a bunch of losers. Being part of the richest nation in the world and being at the top 1% in world income isn't enough you would actually take a life to make more money. Money is meaningless if you have your basic needs (food, shelter) taken care of, and if you are posting on atot I'm going to assume you have your basic needs covered. Life passes by in a blink of an eye, that aged man in the walker struggling to make it across the street was a mother's new born baby not to long ago, I bet he would trade all the money he had for some youth (time) back. Yet a bunch of young mental midget contract killers out there, would *theoretically* be ready to throw someone under the bus so they can buy some new things that will only complicate their lives more. Wake up numbnuts because your already rich.

You have a lot of sense and are very wise. Good man right here, whether people want to realize it or not. :beer:

I'm guessing half the people who say they'd murder someone are just being silly on the internet anyway.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I'd do it. It would be hard but I think I would do it. 100 billion dollars can save a lot of lives. 1 death to save a lot of others or live in extreme luxury.

dispair

Oct 17, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
WTF? Why not? I killed numerous Vietnamese for the rich sum of $411.80/month...sone unknown tribesman would hardly affect my conscience any more than some of those days did...
$100 billion? PROFIT!

Boomer makes me smile, on the inside! :)

True to point, people do it for much less these days, be it reason, money, or other. To say I wouldn't do it, would be a complete lie, luckily I would not be placed in such a situation(or at least to my knowledge at the moment). To put the moral/ethical value on this situation you need much more than a simple question with limited rules(which I actually liked the way it was presented). Some have brought up going to hell(I'm personally not hellbent that there is a heaven or hell atm), God(definition of an omnipotent Christian power....I laugh at the thought), and lastly, what has he done? All these were not presented in the original question, and for good reason- IT COMPLICATES IT!!!

So back to what the answer's should be:
1.Yes
2.No
3.I'm going to coment on how bad others are for answering 1 or 2.

I of course would probably choose 1 and hate myself for the rest of my life, but think of what others could do with my money. :p

Bushman5

May 14, 2005

Id kill u for free.................pussy

Bushman5

May 14, 2005
o and id make sure i get a bj from a different woman every 6 hours for the rest of my life

sometimes eveyr hour

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
I wish I could say that I'd never in a million years do it...

... but a part of me thinks that I might. The guilt would probably get me in the end, but I think I might do it. Unlike some of the saints in the making on this board, I am at least willing to acknowledge that I might be silence my conscience for the moment necessary to pull the trigger.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Hmmm, this is a lot easier than that "Stay in a mall with 10 lions." challenge :p
I say yes, I would do it. But, do I have to spend the money to ave lives or can I be greedy and buy a whole bunch of houses and yachts.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
You all are pathetic with you crap about 1 life is worth XXX.. In reality you and all of us don't give a s### about a human life unless it is ours or someone we love.. Otherwise the world would be a much beter place..
To me taking a life or allowing someone to take someone elses and doing nothing about it is the same.. 10's of thousands of people are killed every week around the world yet we care nothing.. Our country has more wealth and power then any in the history of mankind yet we use it for the benifit of about half of our citizens.. So in the end our inactions are killing many more people then anyone could amagine so give me about 1.1/100,000,000,000 of it and a couple bullets... :)