Focusing on World Community Grid

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I still have a personal 1M to reach :)

I have fewer cores on it now too, mostly giving my pocket book a break while I re-think my strategy and PC configuration(s).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have fewer cores on it now too, mostly giving my pocket book a break while I re-think my strategy and PC configuration(s).

I hear you on that one. Thinking of selling my main rig, and just using my E-350 rig to Nef.

Tried selling my Q9300 @ 3.0 rigs with HD4850 512MB cards on CL some time ago, no bites. So I'm using one of them for MW@Home. Not sure what to do with all of these PCs, if I can't afford to run them.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I hear you on that one. Thinking of selling my main rig, and just using my E-350 rig to Nef.

Tried selling my Q9300 @ 3.0 rigs with HD4850 512MB cards on CL some time ago, no bites. So I'm using one of them for MW@Home. Not sure what to do with all of these PCs, if I can't afford to run them.

Yeah... I hope you can find a way to keep the fire alive :)

Consider buying a "S" IVB quad with what you get from selling your stuff and a nice 80+ PSU and forgo the GPU crunching? You might be able to really contribute on a 100W or less from the wall, and not much out of pocket when you factor in moving your current setup... Keep one of the GTX 460 for even infrequent gaming, maybe, as it'll like do nicely for years.... Just brainstorming for you :p

My "re-thinking" involves spinning up my 2600k rig for the PrimeGrid race this coming week - but possibly leaving the 1090t off... in PrimeGrid, that 2600k is worth almost two 1090's at at ~20% less power than one 1090, and stepping up the CPU in my main ESXi box from an i3 to an IVB "S" quad in the near future. It's an H61 board so OC'ing is out anyway.

Basically, I am going with CPU only for the rigs at my house - and moving towards CPU's that offer some real bang for the power consumed. Other strategically placed ones will have to carry the GPU burden. If you thinking of spinning off one of the 460's, let me know...

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I have moved most of the cores to the PrimeGrid race.
Please consider that move too - we are in a good position in the challenge (#12 in the first race, the second did not count, #7 in the third).
Each core counts. Each point adds. Please read the PrimeGrid challende thread.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
After the PG race, I assume everyone will be going back to WCG. What was the goal that we are trying to get? 90th place?

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Not sure when it happened but looks like we hit #95 sometime this week. #94 looks to be in reach in less than a week.

That said, I am starting to scale back my production as the weather is starting to warm up. Of the 14 computers I had going during my peak production, 7 will be shut down. The good news is these 7 computers are the lesser ones in my arsenal (mostly dual-cores and a few laptops) and I hope to keep my heavy hitters running as long as possible. Inevitably as summer approaches, I may have to further scale back but I will worry about that when time comes.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Not sure when it happened but looks like we hit #95 sometime this week. #94 looks to be in reach in less than a week.

That said, I am starting to scale back my production as the weather is starting to warm up. Of the 14 computers I had going during my peak production, 7 will be shut down. The good news is these 7 computers are the lesser ones in my arsenal (mostly dual-cores and a few laptops) and I hope to keep my heavy hitters running as long as possible. Inevitably as summer approaches, I may have to further scale back but I will worry about that when time comes.

Me too... I plan on having only two crunchers at my house for the foreseeable future. Of course, there are three others distributed out, so I should be able to maintain some reasonable production numbers :)

Looking to leave ~6 cores on WCG indefinitely.

I am really re-evaluating my home-rig strategy. Higher efficiency is key there...

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Me too... I plan on having only two crunchers at my house for the foreseeable future. Of course, there are three others distributed out, so I should be able to maintain some reasonable production numbers :)

Looking to leave ~6 cores on WCG indefinitely.

I am really re-evaluating my home-rig strategy. Higher efficiency is key there...

As much as I love my AMD rigs, I may sell them off and replace them with more efficient Intel ones. Pending available funds and approval from my overlord (wife), of course. :p

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
As much as I love my AMD rigs, I may sell them off and replace them with more efficient Intel ones. Pending available funds and approval from my overlord (wife), of course. :p

Haha, yep, same here. I think that I can leverage pretty much my existing motherboards and move to some more powerful CPUs...

I am trying to figure out what to do with my solid 1090t box, leaving it sit and powered off just means its worth that much less each day...

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
I hear IVB is very efficient :) Few more 3770Ks floating around the TeAm wouldn't go amiss I'm sure!

I've been getting the itch to upgrade my main computer at home (i7 950) but I haven't decided if I want to throw in some extra money for moar cores with a SB-E build. I recently scored a cheap Asus P8Z68-M Pro which I will be using to upgrade and downsize my current HTPC Q9550 rig.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I've been getting the itch to upgrade my main computer at home (i7 950) but I haven't decided if I want to throw in some extra money for moar cores with a SB-E build. I recently scored a cheap Asus P8Z68-M Pro which I will be using to upgrade and downsize my current HTPC Q9550 rig.

BioDoc has been rocking that 3930k... It has been very effective :)

The only downside I see is that you can nearly get the guts of two 3770k rigs for the same price as the guts of a SB-E hexacore...

And if you've got the cases/psus/etc. then you have to decide between 8C or 6C at that point... or maybe 8C and 10C, I suppose :)

Last edited:

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
BioDoc has been rocking that 3930k... It has been very effective :)

The only downside I see is that you can nearly get the guts of two 3770k rigs for the same price as the guts of a SB-E hexacore...

And if you've got the cases/psus/etc. then you have to decide between 8C or 6C at that point... or maybe 8C and 10C, I suppose :)

I forgot to mention I have two Opteron 6128s that needs to be built as well! I think the first order of business is to sell off my X3 720 and X4 640. That will free up some funds to build the dual 6128 rig.

My sister is using an unlocked Sempron 140 so my trusty old Q9550 will have a new home. And of course I will force her to continue crunching on that rig! :biggrin: In turn, I will pop in something like a i3 21xx on that mATX board I mentioned earlier for my new HTPC rig.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Quick update: We moved up a couple spots in the last week or so and currently sitting at #92. Should be hitting #91 in less than a week.

Alyx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2007
Does WCG have any GPU apps or just CPU? I need to get my credits up on here, I've been working on my average team rank across projects and my WCG rank is awful.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Does WCG have any GPU apps or just CPU? I need to get my credits up on here, I've been working on my average team rank across projects and my WCG rank is awful.

There is a GPU project for Help Conquer Cancer but is currently in the beta testing phase. As for when it roll out to the masses, no one knows yet.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Say No to Schistosoma project on hold

Due to an shortage of valid batch inputs for SN2S, there will be a gap in new work for the project until more batch inputs can be generated.

Seippel

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
The TeAm hit #91 a few days ago. The higher we climb the charts, the longer it will take to overtake teams but that's expected.

Opportunities:

343pzc6.jpg