Focusing on World Community Grid

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
One Billion Results Returned by World Community Grid Volunteers!

World Community Grid announces that members have returned more than 1 Billion results.

Many thanks to all our volunteers here at World Community Grid! Together, we have achieved a new milestone in our history by returning more than 1 billion results to help advance critical humanitarian research.

The results that you, together with the World Community Grid volunteer community, have "crunched" on your computers have been sent to research scientists around the world for analysis. These results have helped to advance humanitarian causes such as researching treatments for AIDS, Muscular Dystrophy, different forms of Cancer, Schistosoma, Malaria, Leishmaniasis and more. Your efforts have also helped advance research which addresses important environmental issues, including improving water quality, developing technologies to access clean water, increasing ways to harness solar power, and improving world nutrition. None of this would have been possible without the wonderful contributions of all of our volunteers!

As our community has grown, the compute power available for humanitarian research has accelerated. We now return over 1 million results per day. The following reflects how the rate at which we return results has accelerated since World Community Grid was launched in November 2004:

31 months to reach 100 million results returned (July, 2007)
Another 13 months to reach 200 million results returned (August, 2008)
Another 11 months to reach 300 million results returned (July, 2009)
Another 7 months to reach 400 million results returned (March, 2010)
Another 5 months to reach 500 million results returned (September, 2010)
Another 5 months to reach 600 million results returned (February, 2011)
Another 4 months to reach 700 million results returned (July, 2011)
Another 4 months to reach 800 million results returned (November, 2011)
Another 4 months to reach 900 million results returned (March, 2012)
And it only took another 3 months to reach the 1 billion results returned milestone! (June, 2012)

It has taken a community of over 590,000 individuals, who have collectively contributed to World Community Grid, to achieve this major accomplishment. We are extremely grateful for your contribution. Without you, this compute power would not be available to help accelerate the kind of important scientific research we all care about.

THANK YOU!

1billion.png

1billion_2.png

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
I'm surprised the Compute for Clean Water project didn't have more returned results. I almost never had any of the Help Conquer Cancer WUs.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'm surprised the Compute for Clean Water project didn't have more returned results. I almost never had any of the Help Conquer Cancer WUs.

The cancer WU's are tiny - I am running them now and they are sub 1 hour to 2 hours depending on the CPU. Compared to the others I have run, they seem very short.

For example, to get two years of Go Fight Against Malaria, it took only 4K WU. For Help Conquer Cancer project, it took ~15k WU.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Looks like we slipped down to #91 with EVGA passing us. The summer heat has also forced me to start shutting down rigs so my production will slow. I still plan to keep my i7 970 and 2500K going through the summer with a ramp up in fall.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=bwcg&team=16700&sort=yesterday

Looks like we may yet regain #90 before too long :)

I am still on a slow ramp up here, looking forward to seeing what we can do when it cools down and we can get more people back on it! Going for a Sapphire in Computing for Clean Water next.

It is freaking hot. I've just got two Intel rigs running at my house in the mean time, ~200W total power consumption. 2600k and 2100. For the power consumption, they are pounding down the work. The 2600k @ 3.8 w/HT does about twice the work of a 3.2Ghz Thuban and uses half the power. Craziness.

Adding a raid controller and three laptop spinning drives to my 2600k box jumped its load usage to 130W, a 30W increase. ESXi and its hardware raid requirements...

Even scaled back I expect between the 970 and 2500k to see some decent numbers, 8-10k ppd per day?

Last edited:

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah, 10k seems to about right. Hopefully it will be enough to keep the TeAm moving forward or at the very least, maintain our position in the top 100.

I just scored a 2600K deal I couldn't pass up on so stay tuned!

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Yeah, 10k seems to about right. Hopefully it will be enough to keep the TeAm moving forward or at the very least, maintain our position in the top 100.

I just scored a 2600K deal I couldn't pass up on so stay tuned!

Nice!

I find the 2600k to be worth about 30 - 40% more ppd when compared to the 2500k, definitely a worthy investment from a crunching perspective.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Nice!

I find the 2600k to be worth about 30 - 40% more ppd when compared to the 2500k, definitely a worthy investment from a crunching perspective.

Good to know! :D Going to slowly retire my AMD machines and replace them with with more efficient ones. The X3 720 will be handed down to my sister to replace her antiquated Sempron machine.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
We are stilling holding a solid #90 ranking. Good to see the TeAm production maintain our position in the top 100 despite the summer ramp down.

Top 20 producers based on yesterday's data:
1ptjew.jpg

Opportunities:
9h7znd.jpg

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The most important goal in crunching for TeAm AnandTech is to have fun while crunching and racing.

The primary goal in World Community Grid was (and is reached) to get among the top 100 (in matters of points) in the team's stats.
As I see it now, the primary goal is to get among the top-100 in matters of run time and results submitted. The secondary goal is not to slip in the ranking ...

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Threat-wise, we don't really have any concerns dropping out of the top 100 and it looks like we might move up a few positions over the next couple months. That is assuming we keep our current level of production.

29cazpv.jpg

Optimistically, we might be able to get #80 by year's end. To get to #70 this year, we would need a serious push in crunching power.

Personally, I'm tied to this project for the foreseeable future and I hope to ramp up as soon as I can. I also have a 2600K that needs to be built when I can find some free time. Summer holidays has a way of delaying your home projects. :) I also have 2 x Opteron 6128 but no other components for it just yet.

Last edited:

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
warning for the badge hunters...the project estimated end date for CSFW (Computing for Sustainable Water) has been changed quite a bit. The previous estimate indicated ~300 more days of work but that is now at 21 days.

Have fun!

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006

Optimistically, we might be able to get #80 by year's end. To get to #70 this year, we would need a serious push in crunching power.

As you can see in the overall credit distribution, I am a big fan of WCG. We (TAC) could organize a WCG race in the coming months to push us in the top 70. It has been a while since we last had a race organized by ourself (not another team like seti.germany for instance)

right now we are in the middle of a seti race, but september october and november are free (in december we have our traditional year end folding race)

Gs dewd

Dec 22, 2011
The most important goal in crunching for TeAm AnandTech is to have fun while crunching and racing.

The primary goal in World Community Grid was (and is reached) to get among the top 100 (in matters of points) in the team's stats.
As I see it now, the primary goal is to get among the top-100 in matters of run time and results submitted. The secondary goal is not to slip in the ranking ...

I actually crunch for another team right now. I was just wondering if your team had some specific goals in mind? Stuff related just with your team.

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
80th place appears to be the goal for now, with this project. I probably get back into WCG, after I get a few more points in NFS@home :D

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I actually crunch for another team right now. I was just wondering if your team had some specific goals in mind? Stuff related just with your team.

Well, wanting to get higher in the rankings is specific enough for me.
But I think I understand what you mean - and that answer is no, no specific goal related just to our team. :confused:

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
As you can see in the overall credit distribution, I am a big fan of WCG. We (TAC) could organize a WCG race in the coming months to push us in the top 70. It has been a while since we last had a race organized by ourself (not another team like seti.germany for instance)

right now we are in the middle of a seti race, but september october and november are free (in december we have our traditional year end folding race)

A race sounds like fun! I know next to nothing when it comes to organizing a race. Anyone care to?

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
How about we start a race with the following stipulations:

1. Race to 1 million points or most points in two weeks (which ever comes first)
2. Can only use one (1) desktop, gaming rig, server, etc
3. Can only use four (4) cores/threads on a single processor

It would be quick, easy, and only one computer to dump heat into your room, rather than a whole fleet.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I like the idea - makes it more a computer vs. computer; the CPU's frequency, OC-ing and the time the computer runs would be deciding.
On the other hand: one problem ... I have no computers with only 4 cores ... and to disable half of the cores goes against my grain ...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
How about we start a race with the following stipulations:

1. Race to 1 million points or most points in two weeks (which ever comes first)
2. Can only use one (1) desktop, gaming rig, server, etc
3. Can only use four (4) cores/threads on a single processor

It would be quick, easy, and only one computer to dump heat into your room, rather than a whole fleet.

My poor lappy has only 2 cores.

Looked at the workload this AM
Working on 70hr blocks and two 90+ hours blocks queued up.
No wonder my stats are flatlined.:(

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Definitely an interesting idea but I'm not sure if I would like to commit just one computer to the race and see the rest of my rigs idle. If the team is seriously looking at pushing #70 by year's end, we will need as many computers as possible.

An alternative is to create brand new accounts and everyone assigns their one computer of choice to it. For example, account could be called 'ZipSpeed-Race' to make it easier to find and sort race stats.