Florida voters wait in line 8 hours.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Why would it matter. You think it will get better on Tues? Why should anyone wait over 1 hour to vote. People, talk up freedoms, isn't voting the fundamental tool we have for freedom?

there's probably 50x or more the polling places on election day, so, yeah i'd expect it to get better.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Florida Repubs have no shame, no sense of fair play at all.
At least they do not wake up the dead to vote.

That is fair play! :p

You have the Miami Herald print up a sample ballot and indicate what the people should vote for.

If they did not do that, the lines would be 50% longer.
And to think if the proper rules had been followed for citizenship - English language.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
http://www.findlaw.com/voting-rights-law.html

Some states do and some states don't.

They had EIGHT Fucking Days.

This needs to be uniform across the US as a matter of workers' (and citizens') rights.

And yes, they had eight days. Previously, they had 14 days of early voting. It was restricted to eight, and lo and behold, unacceptably long lines. There is no excuse for that no matter how you try and spin it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The correct term is "Lower Alabama" :p

When I was in tech school in Atlanta, a guy in my class and a room mate, invited me to his home in Georgiana. He referred to that part of Alabama as LA (lower Alabama).

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
This needs to be uniform across the US as a matter of workers' (and citizens') rights.

And yes, they had eight days. Previously, they had 14 days of early voting. It was restricted to eight, and lo and behold, unacceptably long lines. There is no excuse for that no matter how you try and spin it.
When did the lines start.
Day #1 or Day #7

If on Day #1; you have a issue.

If Day #7, it is because everyone delayed until the last minute.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Everyone commenting on this story should find a good article on it. I can't understand how so many people continuously comment without the slightest of facts. I mean, I would feel embarrassed to be continuely thought of as an idiot.

1.) The lines have been common throughout the 8 days of early voting.
2.) The amount of time early voting has decreased to 8 days, not including the sunday before the election which seems liek the time most people would like to vote, it being a weekend and all
3.) Yes on election day there will be more polls but there will also be A lot more people voting
4.) In some parts of the country (republican areas) People ar ein and out of polls in 15 minutes. Why should there be such a disaprity?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Everyone commenting on this story should find a good article on it. I can't understand how so many people continuously comment without the slightest of facts. I mean, I would feel embarrassed to be continuely thought of as an idiot.

2.) The amount of time early voting has decreased to 8 days, not including the sunday before the election which seems liek the time most people would like to vote, it being a weekend and all
3.) Yes on election day there will be more polls but there will also be A lot more people voting
4.) In some parts of the country (republican areas) People ar ein and out of polls in 15 minutes. Why should there be such a disaprity?

Because in 2010, we won. The historic elections, especially at the state level are what the people wanted.

We won, get over it. Republicans won and as such have a mandate to do what they are doing. To the victor go the spoils, you are the loser and you shall get none.

See you tomorrow liberal, it's going to be fucking HISTORIC!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Because in 2010, we won. The historic elections, especially at the state level are what the people wanted.

We won, get over it. Republicans won and as such have a mandate to do what they are doing. To the victor go the spoils, you are the loser and you shall get none.

did you intend to respond to the post that you responded to?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999

I hope you are mentally prepared tomorrow/very early Wed when Romney loses.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
did you intend to respond to the post that you responded to?

I'm pretending to be Obama, you remember when he said "we won" to republicans and how he didn't have to work with them and could just pass whatever he wanted?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hasn`t Romney already congratulated Obama on winning the 2012 Presidency???

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I'm pretending to be Obama, you remember when he said "we won" to republicans and how he didn't have to work with them and could just pass whatever he wanted?

ok, but what did that have to do with what you responded to?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i live in Colorado and dropped off my ballot at the polling center last week. nobody in line it was glorious. so i really dont give a shit about the dumb fucks in Florida who stand in line for 8 hours... maybe vote earlier?

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
i live in Colorado and dropped off my ballot at the polling center last week. nobody in line it was glorious. so i really dont give a shit about the dumb fucks in Florida who stand in line for 8 hours... maybe vote earlier?

just on queue..

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
just on queue..

i guess Colorado or my county has it shit together. i got my ballot 2 weeks ago. I filled it out at home, put it in its secret envelope, signed the envelope and dropped it off at the polling center on my way to work and got a sweet sticker saying i voted NOBODY in line, my wife mailed hers back to the county clerk.

when should early voting should have started? 3 weeks ago? lol

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If it takes a person 20-30 minutes to vote; there is the problem!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So they had 8 days to vote and they are waiting for the last minute? Wait until tuesday when many more voting stations are open.

8 days out means this was the only weekend, meaning the only days these people had a day off. If during the other weekdays the polls were open until 8p I would agree with you

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
According to the Miami-Dade County early voting information page the polls were open 7am to 7pm 10/27 to 11/3.

http://www.miamidade.gov/elections/vote_early.asp

I would think 8 days out 7-7 should be enough time. Wonder if there were lines like this all week? Still no excuse to cut off Sunday before election. We need more access not less.

I live in PA where they don't allow early voting. What if Sandy were to have struck this week. Seems that would have invited chaos. Do rules allow for voting after election day??

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

Because the republican controlled areas have simple ballots that are not 10 pages?
The county/city controls all the local issues. If the ballot in Miami was 10 pages and the ballot in the panhandle was not, then this is the fault of the county and city, not the state, or the Republican party.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
just on queue..

Facts don't matter to modern conservatives, nor do the needs of those who work for a living. Can't get a reasonable amount of time off to visit the polls (with incredibly long lines)? Tough. You should've been a rich white landowner with a large and diverse investment portfolio so that you could spend all day at the voting booth lines. Either that, or live in a rural area that votes heavily Republican anyway. You are in and out in 15 minutes there. o_O

Restricting the hours/days knowing full well that this election would have record participation is disenfranchisement, pure and simple.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
The disparity is because we won and can pass whatever we want particularly at the state level. Republicans have a huge mandate.

wait, there's a disparity in voting times because republicans have a huge mandate?