Florida voters wait in line 8 hours.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/04/florida-early-voting-lawsuit_n_2072435.html

Emergency Lawsuit Filed In Florida Over Long Lines At Early Voting

There was no sympathy from the state for Floridians who have reportedly waited as long as eight hours to vote early, prompting Florida Democrats to file an emergency lawsuit Sunday morning.

The suit, filed in Miami federal court, seeks extended voting hours because of "inadequate polling facilities."

"The extraordinarily long lines deterred or prevented voters from waiting to vote," the filing claims, according to the Miami Herald. "Some voters left the polling sites upon learning of the expected wait, and others refused to line up altogether. These long lines and extreme delays unduly and unjustifiably burdened the right to vote."

Despite previous calls from prominent Democrats and Monroe County's Republican Supervisor of Elections Harry Sawyer, Republican Governor Rick Scott has steadfastly refused to keep polls open beyond an 8-day early voting period that ended Saturday at 7 p.m. -- or make that 1 a.m., when the last waiting voter in Miami-Dade was finally able to cast a ballot.

"We think that the hours we have right now are the best hours we've ever had," Chris Cate, a spokesman for Florida's elections division, told the Herald during the week.

Lines were especially long in Miami-Dade County, where by 7:25 a.m. Saturday two of the county's 20 early voting stations were already suffering 5-hour wait times. Six of the locations listed wait times of six or more hours on Saturday afternoon, hampered perhaps in part by a hefty ballot that was 10 pages for most voters.

Florida's GOP-led legislature cut the number of early voting days down from 14 to 8 last year, eliminating the Sunday before Election Day but keeping the number of maximum hours the same. The move was signed into law by Scott and approved by federal courts.

But previous governors, including then-Republican Charlie Crist and party stalwart Jeb Bush, both extended early voting hours by executive order when demand was high.

The problems are not limited to long waits in South Florida, reports the Tampa Bay Times:

At the busiest polling site in Leon County, the home of Florida's capital, Supervisor of Election Ion Sancho told voters waiting in the the 90-minute line that they would be breaking an early voting record today.
He also said that other polling sites, two libraries in the city, were "a mess" as traffic was snarled by voters unable to find parking. The county has had to recruit law enforcement to handle the traffic and "it's still impossible,'' he said.

"This is what happens when you make it not accessible by design,'' Sancho said. He said that the Republican-led legislature has intentionally limited early voting sites to libraries and supervisors of elections offices in an attempt to "suppress access."

In a response to Sawyer's previous request for extended hours, Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner, against whom the lawsuit was filed, said the state's voting laws only allow for extended hours because of emergencies defined as those that may result in "substantial injury or harm to the population or substantial damage to or loss of property to the extent it will prohibit an election officer’s ability to conduct a safe and orderly election.”

"Fortunately," Detzner wrote, "no such situation currently exists in the State of Florida."

I find this truly despicable. Governor Scott should be impeached.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I am in the Florida Panhandle - I had to wait 15 minutes in line before I could cast my ballot.

What's happening in southern Florida is unacceptable.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I am in the Florida Panhandle - I had to wait 15 minutes in line before I could cast my ballot.

Let me go out on a limb here and guess that you live in a predominately Republican area?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
So they had 8 days to vote and they are waiting for the last minute? Wait until tuesday when many more voting stations are open.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
So they had 8 days to vote and they are waiting for the last minute? Wait until tuesday when many more voting stations are open.

Why would it matter. You think it will get better on Tues? Why should anyone wait over 1 hour to vote. People, talk up freedoms, isn't voting the fundamental tool we have for freedom?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I'm just guessing that there are more than 20 election polling stations open on tuesday.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Yet all who were in line at 7pm was allowed to vote so no voter suppression found.

Yet another crybaby techs fail thread

I mean, how stupid are you? The people who waited to vote should be extolled. I'm sure people saw the line and decided not to vote. I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing not to spend 8 hours to vote.

The fact you think differently speaks more to ur character than anything.

Last edited:

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I'm just guessing that there are more than 20 election polling stations open on tuesday.

Why do you think they started doing early voting? Because in 2000 they had the same amount of lines. People chose to vote on Sat. because they probably couldn't get Tues off to vote.

I don't understand why Republicans are scared of an election of ideas where everybody has a fair chance to vote. You guys wrap urself in Patriotism, yet play legal games to deny people the right the vote. Telling, how well you think ur ideas are.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

Northern Florida (especially panhandle) is also known as Alabama light.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Why would it matter. You think it will get better on Tues? Why should anyone wait over 1 hour to vote. People, talk up freedoms, isn't voting the fundamental tool we have for freedom?

Talk to Miami-Dade county about having special elections for local needs instead of lumping it in with the national election.

hampered perhaps in part by a hefty ballot that was 10 pages for most voters

My ballot in Fort Bend county was 2 pages and took less than 5 minutes to complete, far less if you used the party line vote.

http://www.co.fort-bend.tx.us/upload/images/elections_administration/sample_ballots/11121007D.pdf

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Why do you think they started doing early voting? Because in 2000 they had the same amount of lines. People chose to vote on Sat. because they probably couldn't get Tues off to vote.

I don't understand why Republicans are scared of an election of ideas where everybody has a fair chance to vote. You guys wrap urself in Patriotism, yet play legal games to deny people the right the vote. Telling, how well you think ur ideas are.
They had 8 fucking days to vote and waited for the last day.

http://www.miamidade.gov/elections/

There are hundreds of polling stations open on Tuesday.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
My ballot in Fort Bend county was 2 pages and took less than 5 minutes to complete, far less if you used the party line vote.

Yea, I absentee voted in Florida, and they had a ton of complicated amendments. Some of them I had to reread and research to figure out exactly what they were trying to do. One of them was pretty lol worthy, basically whether they should remove real power from their supreme court (make overriding it possible with simple majority). Who needs a system of checks and balances anyway?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Yea, I absentee voted in Florida, and they had a ton of complicated amendments. Some of them I had to reread and research to figure out exactly what they were trying to do. One of them was pretty lol worthy, basically whether they should remove real power from their supreme court (make overriding it possible with simple majority). Who needs a system of checks and balances anyway?

In my county/state of Texas we have special elections to take care of such issues. We had them last November (2011) so they don't interfere with the national election.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
In my county/state of Texas we have special elections to take care of such issues. We had them last November (2011) so they don't interfere with the national election.

Yes, a special election with special election costs is what struggling states need to do.

We go around the world preaching voting rights, yet Republicans in this county try everything they can do disenfranchise people from voting. Why people aren't up in arms about it is beyond me. This should be a national outrage.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Yes, a special election with special election costs is what struggling states need to do.

We go around the world preaching voting rights, yet Republicans in this county try everything they can do disenfranchise people from voting. Why people aren't up in arms about it is beyond me. This should be a national outrage.

Last I checked Miami-Dade was under Democrat control, so blame them for having long ballots that take far too long to complete.

It took me 2 minutes to vote on the first day of early voting after waiting in line for 45 minutes.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Last I checked Miami-Dade was under Democrat control, so blame them for having long ballots that take far too long to complete.

It took me 2 minutes to vote on the first day of early voting after waiting in line for 45 minutes.

Clearly, you are incapable of making logical connections. The Governor and secretary of state sets hours and polling stations. That's why they are asking that hours be extended and more polling stations should have been added.

But beyond that, that is the point, in Republican districts you can vote in 15 minutes, in Democratic districts you are waiting 8 hours.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I should give a rats ass about a political photo op (love the retired folks with chairs) done by Democrats about early voting? I should care that Democrats are so stupid it takes them hours to fill out a ballot? Reminds me of the fucking idiot Democrats that were too stupid to figure out a butterfly ballot back in 2000. Let them vote on election day or use absentee ballots. Fuck em.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Clearly, you are incapable of making logical connections. The Governor and secretary of state sets hours and polling stations. That's why they are asking that hours be extended and more polling stations should have been added.

But beyond that, that is the point, in Republican districts you can vote in 15 minutes, in Democratic districts you are waiting 8 hours.

Sorry, but as usual you are misinformed as the polling stations are set by the respective county's Supervisor of Elections.

http://election.dos.state.fl.us/voting/voting-info.shtml

Early Voting Voters may vote in person by casting a ballot prior to Election Day. The voter will use the same type of voting equipment that is used at the polls on Election Day. Early voting begins 10 days before an election and ends on the 3rd day before any election in which there is a state or federal office race. Early voting may be held for a maximum of 12 hours, but no less than 6 hours, a day. The hours for each day for each early voting site during that period are set at the Supervisor’s discretion. Supervisors of Elections designate early voting sites 30 days prior to an election. Early voting will be offered in the main or branch office of the Supervisor of Elections. They may also designate any city hall or public library geographically located so that all voters in the county will have an equal opportunity to cast a vote. Contact your Supervisor of Elections for dates, times and locations in your county. Refer to the Division of Elections’ webpage on Early Voting for more details.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Northern Florida (especially panhandle) is also known as Alabama light.

This. Long lines like that, especially for working folk, are as effective as a poll tax in terms of disenfranchising voters. This is unacceptable and should not stand.