Florida voters wait in line 8 hours.

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by techs, Nov 4, 2012.

1. sportage

sportage Diamond Member

This assault on voting is no lesser then pure Communism taking over America.
    Shit... anyone encouraging this might as well be supporting Fidel Castro as president.
    Talk about anti government party. I never thought I'd see the day when a party became pro Communism. And no one really cares? NO ONE really cares?
    This is acceptable as a winning tactic? Voter suppression?
    Every republican state governor involved with this tactic should be arrested, tried in US federal court, and given the same sentence handed down to traitors of the US government.
    Yet the media, and the public, just shake their head and considers this part of the game.
    We might as well allow Fidel Castro as a third party write-in.
    And I'm am absolutely sure, no question about it that plenty of Michele Bachmann's would gladly and openly support Fidel over Obama.
    By the way, I wonder if Michele, FL Governor Rick Scott, or Rush Limbaugh have ever been asked straight out who they'd prefer if it came down between either Obama or Fidel?

ORLANDO, Fla
    U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson and other Democrats asked Gov. Rick Scott this past week to use his emergency powers to extend early voting.
    Scott and state election officials, however, turned down the extension requests.

And every one of them should be tried in court as traitors to the US government, plain and simple.
    Especially Pennsylvania Republican House Leader Mike Turzai, and Florida Governor Rick Scott. Both, traitors plotting against the US government.

2. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

^ Translated

Democrats discover that their 10 page ballot takes too long to complete and sue to get early voting extended in their county. Governor follows state law that requires a real emergency to extend early voting.

3. Darwin333

Darwin333 Lifer

True, but having to wait until 1am is absurd.

Londo is technically right, their right to vote is not being denied, but it is still absurd and unacceptable that they had to wait so long.

4. Darwin333

Darwin333 Lifer

Charged as a traitor because people had to wait in long lines to vote but were nonetheless allowed to cast their vote?

5. 3chordcharlie

3chordcharlie Diamond Member

Is that normal?

It's one of the non-negotiable aspects of Canadian employment. You are entitled to enough (defined as 3 consecutive hours while polls are open) time off work to cast a vote on election day. If your normal off-shift hours do not allow this, you are entitled to time off during your shift.

6. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

this is why people need to learn to start voting absentee or we need to move to online voting.

7. MovingTarget

MovingTarget Diamond Member

We need to get on this immediately. IIRC, there are no employment guarantees like this in the USA for election days. That is a damn shame.

Please....somebody correct me if I am wrong here. I desperately want to be wrong on this...

8. MovingTarget

No.

Florida is currently under a Republican administration. Their legislature is dominated by Republicans in both their state house and senate.

You can't play "pin the tail on the donkey" just because you want them to take the blame. Facts matter. You need to either provide a very good reason to back up your statement, or retract it entirely.

9. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

Better go look at who's in charge in Miami-Dade county. These people are the ones that developed the 10 page ballot and chose the early voting location. Can't blame the Governor or State Legislature.

10. MovingTarget

An appeal to fix the situation was made to the proper authorities. They said no when it was in their power to do something about it.
    I find it hard to believe that one county has that much direct power over balloting measures, ballot design, polling locations, polling hours, etc. as opposed to state election officials, especially for an election of state and national importance.

11. Ryan

Ryan Lifer

It's not really that bad: http://www.miamidade.gov/elections/s_ballots/11-6-12_sb.pdf

It's the translation into two separate languages that really fucks it up.

12. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

Go read post #22

13. MovingTarget

Agreed. If you take out the separate translations, it isn't that different from what I will be seeing here on Tuesday. I don't think the ballot is the issue here.

14. Londo_Jowo

Londo_Jowo Lifer

Have you read post #22? So who's in charge of designating the polling stations?

15. MovingTarget

Yes, I see that the local election official for the county can set polling locations/hours/etc. What I also see is that the state law defines/restricts total hours per day for polling locations in addition to the number of days for early voting. That official does not control that part. The bottom line is that despite the limited control that Miami-Dade does have over voting, it is clearly insufficient given the "facts on the ground". If they do not have the resources required (machines, officials, time, etc.), then it does not matter about the level of control. Only state officials can correct that.

16. JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda Lifer

You are the oner with the character issue....or possibly the common sense issue...

17. MustISO

MustISO Lifer

Around here it was 2 - 4hrs for early voting. I'm hoping this means it won't be so bad on Tuesday but still these places need to figure out how to be more efficient and get people in and on their way.

18. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

Florida. Again.

19. Fern

Fern Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

^This^

We have a lot retirees in my area. After watching them take about 45 minutes or longer to complete their ballots when it should take no more than 5 minutes to make your selections and then review them I can easily see why it's such a mess in South Florida.

Fern

#44 Fern, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  20. Emos

Emos Golden Member

I live in SW FL, tried about every other day to do early voting but the lines were always 3+ hours long...so I'm taking my chances on Tuesday and waiting for as long as it takes.

21. Incorruptible

Incorruptible Diamond Member

OP you complain that its taking 8 hours so then what is your solution to fix this?

22. Emos

Emos Golden Member

In my area (Lee County) only several of the voting precincts were open for early voting, thus the multiple hours wait no matter what time you showed up.

23. OCNewbie

OCNewbie Diamond Member

I thought I heard that they did extend the voting hours today from like 12 -5 pm. Is that right?

24. Lithium381

Lithium381 Lifer

but on tuesday there will be, what? 5x more polling stations available?

25. Bowfinger

Bowfinger Lifer

And 20x more people lined up to vote?