Florida shooting - tired of hearing about it

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
People mentioned something about him beating up a bus driver or something. Is it mentioned in his twitter feed?

Not sure. His face looks swollen in the profile picture.

blog_trayvon_martin_cable_nets.jpg

:awe:

FTFY:

race_pandering_cable_nets.jpg

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
I'm a bit late to the party, but here are my thoughts. This isn't a case of racism, in my opinion. At least not in the initial instead, perhaps in the investigation though.

But the initial shooting I think this is a strong case of HORRIBLE usage of a CCW permit. This is the reason people are scared of gun-toting CCWers. Many of them are extremely irresponsible and are just looking for a reason to use their gun. I give you exhibit A. If you are carrying a gun, you have absolutely ZERO business stalking someone.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Tattooed up at 17 with GOLD teeth, who funded those?

Also I am not buying anyone getting suspended for TEN DAYS doing something very minor. I can agree they probably were being honest about it being non-violent...but let's see the referral and school paperwork.

What he got suspended for has nothing to do with this situation, in court you can't bring up past shit. If you could Z would be rotting in jail because he has actual runs in with the law in his past. People *racistscoughcough* are digging for anything to discredit T. "ZOMG he might have sold weed!!!"

If I had to guess his gold fronts were actually the fake kind you can order out of the back of The Source magazine for 50 bucks. Or maybe he worked? I mean when I was younger than him I bought a 14.4k modem which cost me $650 cash. As for Tat's they're cheap unless you want something big and fancy. And they're free if you know somebody with a tat gun.

I read his twitter, it's typical twitter lame bullshit, if it says anything about him as a person, he's about as horny as I was at 17. All I saw was him trying to holler at females.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I'm a bit late to the party, but here are my thoughts. This isn't a case of racism, in my opinion. At least not in the initial instead, perhaps in the investigation though.

But the initial shooting I think this is a strong case of HORRIBLE usage of a CCW permit. This is the reason people are scared of gun-toting CCWers. Many of them are extremely irresponsible and are just looking for a reason to use their gun. I give you exhibit A. If you are carrying a gun, you have absolutely ZERO business stalking someone.

How do you conclude that?!

As the neighborhood watch coordinator, he had an obligation to follow suspicious people in the gated neighborhood. He also has an increased need to protect himself and this proved to be the case.

I think we all should have the right to defend ourselves in exactly the same way.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

As the neighborhood watch coordinator, he had an obligation to follow suspicious people in the gated neighborhood. He also has an increased need to protect himself and this proved to be the case.

I think we all should have the right to defend ourselves in exactly the same way.

He wasn't even part of the neighbor hood watch though, he was nothing more a self appointed vigilante. Which is kind of fitting for what transpired. And it shows why the rest of the neighborhood watch wisely had avoided him in the past.

I dunno if you've ever been involved in a neighborhood watch program, but they never carry guns, not any in any of the neighborhoods I've lived in. I mean the group has the name watch right in it. Which to me signifies you watch, nothing else.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
What he got suspended for has nothing to do with this situation, in court you can't bring up past shit. If you could Z would be rotting in jail because he has actual runs in with the law in his past. People *racistscoughcough* are digging for anything to discredit T. "ZOMG he might have sold weed!!!"

If I had to guess his gold fronts were actually the fake kind you can order out of the back of The Source magazine for 50 bucks. Or maybe he worked? I mean when I was younger than him I bought a 14.4k modem which cost me $650 cash. As for Tat's they're cheap unless you want something big and fancy. And they're free if you know somebody with a tat gun.

I read his twitter, it's typical twitter lame bullshit, if it says anything about him as a person, he's about as horny as I was at 17. All I saw was him trying to holler at females.

$650 for a 14.4k modem? Damn dude!

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
He wasn't even part of the neighbor hood watch though, he was nothing more a self appointed vigilante. Which is kind of fitting for what transpired. And it shows why the rest of the neighborhood watch wisely had avoided him in the past.

Where did you get that idea?

Look here:

Wikipedia said:
Wendy Dorival, who organizes Neighborhood Watch for the Sanford Police Department, told the Sentinel in a recent interview that Zimmerman was chosen as a watch coordinator by his neighbors.[45]

:colbert:

You're also going to have to back-up some of those other statements.

I dunno if you've ever been involved in a neighborhood watch program, but they never carry guns, not any in any of the neighborhoods I've lived in. I mean the group has the name watch right in it. Which to me signifies you watch, nothing else.
He could have been beaten to death if he didn't have a gun...-but you think he should lose the right to protect himself because he's in a position that might lead to dangerous encounters...?!

Last edited:

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

I conclude that by the fact that he was literally following and even chased Trayvon at one point in time, AFTER the police told him to stop. That's irresponsible. As a gun owner, you should be looking to AVOID conflict, not create it. Regardless of whether or not the shooting was self defense, I can't completely fault Trayvon for turning and attacking someone who was following and even chased him. There are two outcomes if someone is chasing you. Flight or Fight and both of them are understandable.

Bottom line though. If you are carrying a gun, you look for every opportunity to AVOID conflict, not create it.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I conclude that by the fact that he was literally following and even chased Trayvon at one point in time, AFTER the police told him to stop. That's irresponsible. As a gun owner, you should be looking to AVOID conflict, not create it. Regardless of whether or not the shooting was self defense, I can't completely fault Trayvon for turning and attacking someone who was following and even chased him. There are two outcomes if someone is chasing you. Flight or Fight and both of them are understandable.

Bottom line though. If you are carrying a gun, you look for every opportunity to AVOID conflict, not create it.

Did you listen to the 911 calls? He was apparently being beaten for several minutes, screaming for help before he finally used the gun. Before that point, he was only doing his job.

A couple of people thought it was Trayvon Martin screaming (it was not), so people took those statements and ran with it.

Also, if you listen to the call, the 911 dispatcher didn't actually order him to stop. It was like this:

"Are you following him?"
"Yeah."
"We don't need you to do that."

...and a 911 dispatcher is not a police officer. They can only give advice and have no authority.

Last edited:

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
Just a thought but if Zimmerman is white than so is Obama and if that's true Obama should have shut hie pie hole and stayed the hell out of it. Never has a president so easily pull the race trigger and insert himself into a racial situation without knowing the facts. The professor in Boston comes to mind. What I don't understand is why isn't Latinos marching raising hell about one of their own being railroaded. FFS there's supposedly a 10k bounty on his head.

Ah, phooey. How many blacks were gunned down just last weekend in Chicago? Across the country? Where's the outrage for that? It's all political bullshit. Period.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
"Also Monday, an attorney for Martin's mother confirmed that she filed trademark applications for two slogans containing her son's name: "Justice for Trayvon" and "I Am Trayvon." The applications said the trademarks could be used for such things as DVDs and CDs."

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Actually, Martin's mother is testifying in front of Congress tomorrow about Stand Your Ground. Also, FL Rep Dwayne Taylor plans to introduce a bill to repeal Stand Your Ground.

Also,

Policy of caution guides Neighborhood Watch groups

When volunteers join a Neighborhood Watch group in St. Petersburg, they sign a waiver.

They will not approach suspects. They will not detain people. They won't carry weapons.

Too bad, his dad's finance didn't live in St. Petersburg.

Zimmerman was not following Neighborhood Watch 'rules'

Chris Tutko, director of Neighborhood Watch for the National Sheriffs' Association, said Zimmerman broke some cardinal rules.

First, he approached a stranger he suspected of wrongdoing.

"If you see something suspicious, you report it, you step aside and you let law enforcement do their job," Tutko said. "This guy went way beyond the call of duty. At the least, he's overzealous."

Second, Zimmerman carried a handgun. Police departments and sheriff's offices that train volunteers advise them never to carry weapons — though Zimmerman broke no laws by doing so because he has a concealed-weapons permit.

"There's no reason to carry a gun," Tutko said.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I'd recommend those that really want some incite to check out all the google cache links from his facebook/twitter.

Definitely a guy I wouldn't feel safe having live next door to me.

They is even a story he beat up a bus driver on those pages.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Actually, Martin's mother is testifying in front of Congress tomorrow about Stand Your Ground. Also, FL Rep Dwayne Taylor plans to introduce a bill to repeal Stand Your Ground.

Also,

Policy of caution guides Neighborhood Watch groups

Too bad, his dad's finance didn't live in St. Petersburg.

Zimmerman was not following Neighborhood Watch 'rules'

That's true of most security guards too. They would not have a policy that instructs you to put yourself in harm's way and confront people. Then, the organization would be legally and financially responsible for whatever happens to you.

He had a personal right to carry a firearm and use it in self defense.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Did you listen to the 911 calls? He was apparently being beaten for several minutes, screaming for help before he finally used the gun. Before that point, he was only doing his job.

A couple of people thought it was Trayvon Martin screaming (it was not), so people took those statements and ran with it.

Also, if you listen to the call, the 911 dispatcher didn't actually order him to stop. It was like this:

"Are you following him?"
"Yeah."
"We don't need you to do that."

...and a 911 dispatcher is not a police officer. They can only give advice and have no authority.

None of that matters in terms of Zimmermans irresponsibility.

The fact is he is an armed citizen. He went out of his way to follow someone who was must likely trouble (by his own admission). He probably spooked Trayvon by stalking him, prompting the attack.

The first rule of carrying a weapon. Look for EVERY opportunity to get away, so you do not have to use the weapon. Zimmerman had PLENTY of opportunity to back off and let the police handle it. He chose to be EXTREMELY irresponsible and introduced a gun into an already delicate situation. That is the type of CCW holder this nation does not need, IMO.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Just a thought but if Zimmerman is white than so is Obama and if that's true Obama should have shut hie pie hole and stayed the hell out of it. Never has a president so easily pull the race trigger and insert himself into a racial situation without knowing the facts. The professor in Boston comes to mind. What I don't understand is why isn't Latinos marching raising hell about one of their own being railroaded. FFS there's supposedly a 10k bounty on his head.

Ah, phooey. How many blacks were gunned down just last weekend in Chicago? Across the country? Where's the outrage for that? It's all political bullshit. Period.

You call?

At least 10 killed (1 of them was a 6 years old little girl) and 39 wounded. I created a thread = http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2233687 and not much response. I don't think any of the "OMG, Z is a cold blood murdererrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" posters said anything in that thread.

Read my opinion in the op of that thread, almost word for word of your post.

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'd recommend those that really want some incite to check out all the google cache links from his facebook/twitter.

Definitely a guy I wouldn't feel safe having live next door to me.

They is even a story he beat up a bus driver on those pages.

I read his Twitter shit, it was laughable teenager stuff. As for the story of him beating up a bus driver, it's just that, a story. Zimmerman assault a cop, not a story it was something that actually happened. But something tells me you'd still claim to be more terrified to live next door to Trayvon as opposed to Zimmerman right?

Live next door to Trayvon Martin and maybe get in a fight with him.
Live next door to George Zimmerman and maybe get shot by him.

hummmm...

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
i love how, "we don't need you to do that" is code for, "you must stop and go back to your vehicle."

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
What do both Zimmerman and Martin's previous record/facebook have to do with anything.

This case needs to be judged off what happened that night.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
i love how, "we don't need you to do that" is code for, "you must stop and go back to your vehicle."

QFT, there is nothing illegal about what he did. The dispatch HAS to advice him against endangering himself.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

It's not code for stop. But as a RESPONSIBLE gun owner, he should NOT have forced the issue. You do not go out looking for trouble, if you are carrying a weapon. You take every opportunity to avoid it, because the last thing you want to do is draw your weapon. This man obviously wasn't as cautious with his very serious responsibility of carrying a loaded weapon. That is at the very least, negligent.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

lawlrus. this whole post is full of lawlrus. like most of your posts.

lawlrus_not_amused.jpg

Last edited: