first time getting a ticket for not wearing seat belt

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sdifox
Originally posted by: Rebasxer
People can preach about cops writing tickets to save lives...but at the end of the day, its a revenue generator. Pulling people over for insignificant violations to make money under the guise of safety just seems wrong to me.

Then deny them the satisfaction by not breaking the rules. Simple no?

You're a good little drone, aren't you?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Once someone is in an accident, they have no control over their vehicle whether strapped behind the wheel or not. Stop with your superman fantasies little boy.

Boberfet, please look into and understand my point. I love to drive and could easily toss my own butt into the passenger seat with a blip of the wheel, much less after some kind of impact.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Originally posted by: redly1
don't do the crime if you can't do the time

Don't make me laugh. :roll:

Seatbelt violations are victimless crimes. Unless you're holding someone else at gunpoint forcing them to ride around in your car and not wear a seatbelt, you're not putting anyone in danger but yourself. What's going to happen? Honestly? Are you going to get thrown through the windshield, fly across the intersection, your lifeless corpse slam into the little old lady trying to cross the street, and kill her?

Really.

Seatbelt laws are a joke. I'm not infringing upon someone else's rights by not wearing my seatbelt so I don't see what the problem is.

insurance prices for safety devices which include seat belts.

side note-people should stop flaming the op. he realizes he made a mistake(i hope) and he's trying to deal with it.

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
Originally posted by: MrWizzard

Here in California seatbelt violations are not chargeable. However if your child or a child in your car does not have a seatbelt on it is. WHICH I THINK IS VERY VALID.

Is there any valid reason for not wearing a seatbelt? Sounds like you just don?t like to be told what to do. So if someone hits you and causes more bodily injury to you than would have happened if you were wearing your seatbelt you are ok with paying for those increased medical/lost wages/treatments cost yourself right?

that's like telling a kid do as i say not as i do...i have a problem with that. and after those threads about responsible parenting this week, you need to do what you can.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Here is a question for all you people saying people who get in wrecks without a seatbelt cost tax payers more money.

What about all those people who have sex with multiple partners and have children from multiple partners and the kids are being taken care of (even partly if not entirely) by the state. Should we make it illegal to have sex with multiple partners because it could lead to kids the tax payers have to pay for?

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Originally posted by: KK
I don't think that anyone is saying wearing a seatbelt is stupid. It the notion that the government has to make a law about it. It should be common sense. This is just another instance of the government telling the general population that they are too stupid to think for themselves.

In some cases like the OP's, they're right.

How many other things do we all do on a daily basis that puts us and others at risk? Legislating personal morality and personal safety are never a good thing IMHO.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: jackace
I don't think that anyone is saying wearing a seatbelt is stupid. It the notion that the government has to make a law about it. It should be common sense. This is just another instance of the government telling the general population that they are too stupid to think for themselves.

How many other things do we all do on a daily basis that puts us and others at risk? Legislating personal morality and personal safety are never a good thing IMHO.

Thats a cop out in my opinion!
Sorry for the pun!

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Sorry for the pun!

I never said I do not wear my seatbelt. I'm against our government legislating it.

If people can ride a motorcycle (even with a helmet you still have a pretty good chance of being dead if the accident happens over 35 mph) why can't people ride in their car without a seatbelt?

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004

Sorry for the pun!

I never said I do not wear my seatbelt. I'm against our government legislating it.

If people can ride a motorcycle (even with a helmet you still have a pretty good chance of being dead if the accident happens over 35 mph) why can't people ride in their car without a seatbelt?

IMO they're not comparable.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Ricemarine

Sorry for the pun!

explain how.

edit -All the statistics I have seen show motorcycle fatalities rising as a percentage of total fatalities. Motorcycles also have MANY more fatalities per 100m miles traveled. Motorcycles were 42.27 deaths per 100m miles, ALL passenger vehicles, which includes people not wearing their seatbelt (and even motorcycles which increases the total number substantially) was 1.45 deaths per 100m miles.

If its a cost to tax payer issue then motorcycles should be outlawed just as riding in cars without a seatbelt has become illegal for that very same reasoning.

Edit 2- source http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/p...sa/ppt/2006/810639.pdf

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Ricemarine

Sorry for the pun!

explain how.

yeah, some of these people are saying it'll cause the insurance rates to go up, but what about the bikers out there. So by saying bikes shouldn't be banned, then we can throw out that insurance/health care nonsense. So what do we got left, this notion that you will lose control of your vehicle because you aren't buckled in. First off, if you get into a situation that throws you into the passenger side, you would be fvcked even if you were buckled in.

What else is left, $$$ made on tickets. yep, that's what it boils down to.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
insurance on a Motorcycle is going to be higher than a car. They could offer car insurance where you don't have to wear a seatbelt and charge more for it. That way the people who whine about how they have to wear one, can get away without doing it. And if they crash and fly out the window it can be paid for with the extra $$$ they pay each month.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Here is a question for all you people saying people who get in wrecks without a seatbelt cost tax payers more money.

What about all those people who have sex with multiple partners and have children from multiple partners and the kids are being taken care of (even partly if not entirely) by the state. Should we make it illegal to have sex with multiple partners because it could lead to kids the tax payers have to pay for?

No, not illegal to have sex, illegal to have kids you can't afford.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Motorcycle insurance is already crazy high. People under 25 get raped about 2k and up around here, and riding season is only ~6 months (thanks winter). Yes, motorcycles are one of the most dangerous per mile travelled, but comparing the act of riding itself to seatbelts is stupid. You should at most be comparing seatbelts to helmets/leathers. That or motorcycle riding to car driving; safety device to safety device not(edit: should be OR) vehicle to vehicle. Otherwise, start comparing seatbelts to horse riding, bicycles or knife juggling. Hey, those are dangerous too, maybe not as much as motorcycles.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: QueBert
insurance on a Motorcycle is going to be higher than a car. They could offer car insurance where you don't have to wear a seatbelt and charge more for it. That way the people who whine about how they have to wear one, can get away without doing it. And if they crash and fly out the window it can be paid for with the extra $$$ they pay each month.

You're simply wrong. I pay $240/yr for cycle insurance, and that's full coverage.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: QueBert

You're simply wrong. I pay $240/yr for cycle insurance, and that's full coverage.

Yep, I had motorcycle coverage 10 years ago, and I know it wasn't no 2k. If it was that much I wouldn't of been able to afford it on my military pay. I know I didn't have full coverage, but it was no higher than what boberfett has said his was. Of course 10 years ago it would have a tad cheaper.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: feralkid

No, not illegal to have sex, illegal to have kids you can't afford.

Nope. If we compare what you said to seat belts that would mean you would not get a ticket until you got in an accident. The purpose of the law was to force you to act a certain way to minimize risk, not to punish after the damage has been done.

My point still stands that by engaging in sex out of wedlock and with multiple partners increases the risk that child could be produced. Statistics show that children born under these circumstances are a larger burden on the tax payer. In order to curb the problem we will outlaw the initial behavior to "protect" the tax payer. Same thing can be said about seatbelt laws. Not wearing a seatbelt leads to more severe accidents. These accidents on average cost more for the tax payer. In order to curb the problem we will outlaw the initial behavior to "protect" the tax payer.

McGyver

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2002
i called my lawyer this morning and he said there won't be any penalty on my license or insurance. WOOT!! :D

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Should make it illegal to have sex if you can't afford to support your kids :p

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Keep it up, this way you'll never get to drive again, and that would be one less idiot on the road!

Good job, you're making the roads safer. Either by natural selection or by losing your license.

:p

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I found out from my Uncle that my cousin (38) had 3 Seatbelt tickets in the last couple of years, this raised his insurance from close to 700$ a year to over 6000$ a year....ouch...

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: manowar821
Keep it up, this way you'll never get to drive again, and that would be one less idiot on the road!

Good job, you're making the roads safer. Either by natural selection or by loosing your license.

Don't worry, I'm not going to spelling/grammar nazi you:).

I wouldn't count on it though. If someone won't wear a seatbelt to stick it to the man, what makes you think they'll obey the 'man' who suspended their license?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
I wear my seatbelt all the time. I always have, since I first learned to drive. It actually feels weird to me to not have a shoulder harness on, like when I'm in the back seat and it's just lap belts.

However I can fully understand people that hate seatbelt laws. I actually am against seatbelt laws simply on principles of freedom. Every little ***** law in this country adds up, and for a country that is supposedly free, there are very few things in the lives of Americans that isn't under some sort of government control. It's the feeling of complete subservience, that you exist only for the good of the state.

What about the fact that you can cause ANOTHER accident by not wearing yours. Have your personal freedom all you like, but not when you have a very real likelyhood of causing a harm to me and others.

You can't compare this to a helmet. This has everything to do with being able to maintain control of your vehicle just as much as injury to yourself.

Try making an emergency maneuver without a seatbelt on and you'll wind up in the passenger seat.

Once someone is in an accident, they have no control over their vehicle whether strapped behind the wheel or not. Stop with your superman fantasies little boy.

Seatbelts help hold you in place in the event of a panic manuever. In that sense they help prevent accidents. In terms of being a victimless crime, I couldn't disagree more. Any damage you cause to your body that would have been prevented by seatbelt use has to be paid for by all of us. When you go to the hospital in a coma because you got ejected from your car (extreme example), that cost becomes a costs for thousands of people, not just you.

If you prevent an accident (able to maintain control) by using a seatbelt, then you've not only saved yourself from a trip to the hospital plus the headache of finding a new car, but you've saved a huge repair bill and a huge hospital bill.

I never believed seatbelts could prevent an accident from happening until I took an advanced driving course offered free by my state (MA). After making panic turns with and without seatbelts on, I would never operate a car again without one.