first time getting a ticket for not wearing seat belt

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Originally posted by: redly1
don't do the crime if you can't do the time

Don't make me laugh. :roll:

Seatbelt violations are victimless crimes. Unless you're holding someone else at gunpoint forcing them to ride around in your car and not wear a seatbelt, you're not putting anyone in danger but yourself. What's going to happen? Honestly? Are you going to get thrown through the windshield, fly across the intersection, your lifeless corpse slam into the little old lady trying to cross the street, and kill her?

Really.

Seatbelt laws are a joke. I'm not infringing upon someone else's rights by not wearing my seatbelt so I don't see what the problem is.

Yes you are.

You cannot remain in control of your car if you have to make an emergency maneuver or if you are involved in an accident. Basically you can't remain in control of your vehicle and you will probably cause a worse secondary accident because you didn't wear your belt.

You hurt others by not wearing one. Buckle up.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

Seatbelt violations are victimless crimes. Unless you're holding someone else at gunpoint forcing them to ride around in your car and not wear a seatbelt, you're not putting anyone in danger but yourself. What's going to happen? Honestly? Are you going to get thrown through the windshield, fly across the intersection, your lifeless corpse slam into the little old lady trying to cross the street, and kill her?

Really.

Seatbelt laws are a joke. I'm not infringing upon someone else's rights by not wearing my seatbelt so I don't see what the problem is.

Actually you are. When you fly through your windshield and end up on life support that you can't afford, everyone else has to pay for it. Dumbass.

QFT.

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
In Michigan the slogan is Click it or ticket

That saying is used in many a state across the country, including mine (NY).

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: McGyver
btw, that state trooper was a d!ckwad, but then again, i hardly meet any cop who isn't.

That's funny, I know a lot of state troopers in NY. Almost everyone of them is a really nice guy. I've always figured that they've gone through training to be able to go from really nice guy to "d!ckwad" in under one second, when they're placed in a situation where being a nice guy isn't going to work. I've been pulled over a few times by troopers for various things, "sir, do you know your tail light is out?" - They've always been courteous and polite to me. Even 22 years ago when I received my only speeding ticket ever, the guy was quite nice about it. One of my good friends is a city police officer in another city - he's a really nice guy. I know 90% of the officers in that city, and I'd refer to every one of them as "he's a really good guy."

What'd you do to irritate him?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: MrWizzard

Here in California seatbelt violations are not chargeable. However if your child or a child in your car does not have a seatbelt on it is. WHICH I THINK IS VERY VALID.

Is there any valid reason for not wearing a seatbelt? Sounds like you just don?t like to be told what to do. So if someone hits you and causes more bodily injury to you than would have happened if you were wearing your seatbelt you are ok with paying for those increased medical/lost wages/treatments cost yourself right?

Even if someone was stupid enough to not wear a seatbelt because they were immature and want to be that way, why on earth would you want to put yourself through the pain/suffering of the massive increase in damage you can sustain by not wearing it? That is just plain stupid.

The same reason people have sex without a condom, eat fat-dipped fast food, and ride motorcycles (with or without helmets).

(1) Sex without a condom feels a lot better.

(2) Fat-dipped food is delicious ... often better then the same food not dipped in fat.

(3) Motorcycles are tremendous fun to ride.

Not to advocate dangerous behavior simply because it feels good an/or is more fun then playing it safe, but all three of those activities have obvious attractions to them which offset the increased risk to varying degrees ... wearing a modern seatbelt is comfortable & holds you more firmly in the seat during abrupt manouvers, not to mention makes you FAR more likely to avoid serious injury in an auto accident ... aside from a very weak version of "sticking it to the man", whats the attraction to not bothering to buckle up?

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001

Really.

our insurance premiums (both health and auto) are higher because of people like you, so don't pull that "victim-less crime" bullsh!t on us, because it is flat-out false. on the plus side, your behavior promotes improvement in the gene pool.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Really.

Here in California seatbelt violations are not chargeable. However if your child or a child in your car does not have a seatbelt on it is. WHICH I THINK IS VERY VALID.

Is there any valid reason for not wearing a seatbelt? Sounds like you just don?t like to be told what to do. So if someone hits you and causes more bodily injury to you than would have happened if you were wearing your seatbelt you are ok with paying for those increased medical/lost wages/treatments cost yourself right?

I read somewhere that California has changed the seat belt laws. Not sure if this was legit but what I read was.

if you get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt you get a ticket, if it's a passenger not wearing theirs, you both get a ticket. They also changed the carpool lane tickets and a few others, so maybe this seatbelt one is legit.

it takes me 1 second to buckle up, and once I've done it I don't even notice it. I don't see any possible logical reason to not wear one. It can very well save your life, are there any down sides? none! a no brainer to put it on.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: QueBert

Really.

I read somewhere that California has changed the seat belt laws. Not sure if this was legit but what I read was.

if you get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt you get a ticket, if it's a passenger not wearing theirs, you both get a ticket. They also changed the carpool lane tickets and a few others, so maybe this seatbelt one is legit.

it takes me 1 second to buckle up, and once I've done it I don't even notice it. I don't see any possible logical reason to not wear one. It can very well save your life, are there any down sides? none! a no brainer to put it on.

It's all about sticking it to the man, and defying his ever increasing influence in our lives. We're losing our right and freedom to be stupid more and more...

Rebasxer

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
People can preach about cops writing tickets to save lives...but at the end of the day, its a revenue generator. Pulling people over for insignificant violations to make money under the guise of safety just seems wrong to me.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Imp

Really.

It's all about sticking it to the man, and defying his ever increasing influence in our lives. We're losing our right and freedom to be stupid more and more...

There's no point to sticking it to the man if the man doesn't know you're sticking it to him, and if the man knows you're sticking it to him he'll give you a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt. ;)

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Rebasxer
People can preach about cops writing tickets to save lives...but at the end of the day, its a revenue generator. Pulling people over for insignificant violations to make money under the guise of safety just seems wrong to me.

they need to generate revenue from the people who don't wear seatbelts, crash and die. My insurance is higher because asshats who don't want to buckle up who get thrown out the window and it ends up coming out of my pockets. I wouldn't say it's insignificant when an ejected body is in the middle of the freeway and causes an extra hour of traffic while they clean the remains up.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Rebasxer

they need to generate revenue from the people who don't wear seatbelts, crash and die. My insurance is higher because asshats who don't want to buckle up who get thrown out the window and it ends up coming out of my pockets. I wouldn't say it's insignificant when an ejected body is in the middle of the freeway and causes an extra hour of traffic while they clean the remains up.

Maybe we should just have a single tow truck haul the wrecked car off and leave the remains to be mutilated by passing vehicles like is done with most animals that die on the road.

Note: this is not a serious post :p

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Really.

Actually, not wearing a seatbelt and getting in an accident could have an adverse effect on insurance rates in the area. If it appears that an area is not wearing seatbelts then insurance companies will raise the rates in that area to cover the extra risk associated with medical needs.

BTW even if it is a victimless crime it's by your own admission, still a crime ::shock::

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
We were coming into a construction zone tonight on the way back from dinner, and this trooper on the opposite shoulder flips on his lights, u-turns and rolls down the shoulder past us as we came to a stop for the flaggers.
We were thinking WTF mate? He pulls alongside a truck a few cars ahead, indicates to that guy to pull over, and backs up and lets this guy get on the shoulder.
It was a teen driver in a pickup, with three younger kids sitting unrestrained in the back.
Damn I bet that was an expensive ticket.

Oct 20, 2005
All those that are so adamant about not wearing their seatbelts or those who think the laws are ridiculous/stupid/whatever...what is your reasoning behind this?

All I'm getting so far is this attitude of "since it's the law, I'm going to purposely break it b/c it's sticking it to the man". But do you have a real valid reason for not wanting to wear your seatbelt? For 2 seconds of work, it has the potential to benefit you in so many ways. Do you think it's uncomfortable or something? That might be the only reason I can think of for people to not wear a seatbelt that is somewhat valid.

But seriously, what is the reasoning behind NOT wearing a seatbelt?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What I don`t understans is....
You already had 4 pts against you?
So why get caught with your pants down by not wearing a seatbelt.....hmmmmm

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
What is the seat belt law in New York State?

New York State law requires all front seat passengers to wear seat belts. Children under the age of 16 must wear seat belts when they are in the front seat or the back seat. Children under the age of four must ride in safety seats. Children age four, five or six must ride in child restraint systems. The penalty for a seat belt or car seat violation is a fine of up $50. If a conviction includes a person under the age of 16, the driver receives a maximum fine of $100 and 3 points on the driver license record.

Bullshit or not wearing seat belts saves lives. According to this there are no points assessed unless you had someone under the age of 16 unbuckled with you. To me driving a car without wearing one is odd.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
I don't quite buy into the whole "Seat belts aren't comfortable thing" I think that the consistency of putting one on makes the user comfortable. I also think there is really no good reason not to where a seat belt, if it is protesting the law, there are much more ridiculous laws to be protested. However, I don't think that wearing a seat belt should be a law, as others have pointed out it is a victimless law 99% of the time.

Now mandatory airbags are just stupid. Airbags are much worse at saving lives then seatbelts are. In low speed wrecks they usually do more damage then good making a 20 mph crash into a 60mph crash.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: McGyver
aight, here's the thing. i got pulled over this morning for not wearing my seat-belt. for those who reside in new york, there's a probationary driving program called DRP (driver's responsibility program). simply put, i have 4 points on my license right now. what am i supposed to do? that's the first offence for seatbelt for me. should i call a lawyer?

btw, that state trooper was a d!ckwad, but then again, i hardly meet any cop who isn't.

EDIT:

WTF i was asking two questions. just answer them, GODAMNIT!! :laugh: guys, the seatbelt law is one of the rediculous ones.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/...no_seatbelt_no_excuse/

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003

Really.

There are a lot of victimless crimes but the fact is, you are driving on state property and the state has the right to regulate it. If you don't want to wear your seatbelt, drive around on your own property.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004

Really.

Give it some more thought. Think about the rescue workers that are picking your bloody sack of skin out of the windshield in the middle of a busy highway, while the rubberneckers are trying to get a good look. You don't have the right to increase the risks of an already dangerous job.

So buckle up, or ride in the trunk.