first time getting a ticket for not wearing seat belt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Originally posted by: redly1
don't do the crime if you can't do the time

Don't make me laugh. :roll:

Seatbelt violations are victimless crimes. Unless you're holding someone else at gunpoint forcing them to ride around in your car and not wear a seatbelt, you're not putting anyone in danger but yourself. What's going to happen? Honestly? Are you going to get thrown through the windshield, fly across the intersection, your lifeless corpse slam into the little old lady trying to cross the street, and kill her?

Really.

Seatbelt laws are a joke. I'm not infringing upon someone else's rights by not wearing my seatbelt so I don't see what the problem is.

Here in California seatbelt violations are not chargeable. However if your child or a child in your car does not have a seatbelt on it is. WHICH I THINK IS VERY VALID.

Is there any valid reason for not wearing a seatbelt? Sounds like you just don?t like to be told what to do. So if someone hits you and causes more bodily injury to you than would have happened if you were wearing your seatbelt you are ok with paying for those increased medical/lost wages/treatments cost yourself right?

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

Seatbelt violations are victimless crimes. Unless you're holding someone else at gunpoint forcing them to ride around in your car and not wear a seatbelt, you're not putting anyone in danger but yourself. What's going to happen? Honestly? Are you going to get thrown through the windshield, fly across the intersection, your lifeless corpse slam into the little old lady trying to cross the street, and kill her?

Really.

Seatbelt laws are a joke. I'm not infringing upon someone else's rights by not wearing my seatbelt so I don't see what the problem is.

Actually you are. When you fly through your windshield and end up on life support that you can't afford, everyone else has to pay for it. Dumbass.

So is the state going to force fat people to exercise and outlaw motorcycles?

Friend nearly died because his backseat rider flew up from the backseat and hit his head. Victimless, no.

That doesn't mean I don't agree with you, just playing devil's advocate. I also think that, since the OP knew the law, he rightfully got the ticket. Now all you can do is consult with a lawyer and hope for the best.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Seatbelt violations are victimless crimes. Unless you're holding someone else at gunpoint forcing them to ride around in your car and not wear a seatbelt, you're not putting anyone in danger but yourself. What's going to happen? Honestly? Are you going to get thrown through the windshield, fly across the intersection, your lifeless corpse slam into the little old lady trying to cross the street, and kill her?.

In terms of physical injury, yes, other than yourself, there are unlikely to be other victims.

However, the much greater injuries, and higher risk of death in non-seatbelt wrecks has very large economic and general health effects. If you wreck and hit a tree at 20 mph with a seatbelt, you wreck the car, but will probably walk away with a few scrapes. Without a seatbelt the cops will be scooping your brains up off the ground, or if you survive, you'll likely have many serious injuries requiring long term care, and may end up being unable to work.

Even a fatal crash is very expensive - it's estimated that it can cost up to $1 million to clean up after such a wreck, and fully investigate - police/fire/ambulance time, coroner's investigation, court time, clean up, etc.

If you don't wear a seatbelt - not only do you put yourself at risk, but you are also putting an undue financial risk on the taxpayer.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MrWizzard

Here in California seatbelt violations are not chargeable. However if your child or a child in your car does not have a seatbelt on it is. WHICH I THINK IS VERY VALID.

Is there any valid reason for not wearing a seatbelt? Sounds like you just don?t like to be told what to do. So if someone hits you and causes more bodily injury to you than would have happened if you were wearing your seatbelt you are ok with paying for those increased medical/lost wages/treatments cost yourself right?

Even if someone was stupid enough to not wear a seatbelt because they were immature and want to be that way, why on earth would you want to put yourself through the pain/suffering of the massive increase in damage you can sustain by not wearing it? That is just plain stupid.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002

Even if someone was stupid enough to not wear a seatbelt because they were immature and want to be that way, why on earth would you want to put yourself through the pain/suffering of the massive increase in damage you can sustain by not wearing it? That is just plain stupid.

I agree I am just trying to understand why GuideBot thinks its better to not wear one, or is he more "Just because the Government says to do it I will rebel type logic."

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

The same reason people have sex without a condom, eat fat-dipped fast food, and ride motorcycles (with or without helmets).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: joshsquall

The same reason people have sex without a condom, eat fat-dipped fast food, and ride motorcycles (with or without helmets).

so me having sex without a condom is stupid and deadly? i guess i should tell my wife (of 9 years) that.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Only someone who has never had sex would say that.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

so me having sex without a condom is stupid and deadly?

Potentially. The same as driving a car without a seatbelt.

"I know her, she'd never cheat on me" sounds an awful lot like "I'm a great driver, I'll never get in a wreck."

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

"I know her, she'd never cheat on me" sounds an awful lot like "I'm a great driver, I'll never get in a wreck."

after 9 years. 2 kids etc i think i would have a good idea IF she was cheating.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

after 9 years. 2 kids etc i think i would have a good idea IF she was cheating.

My point is that people take risks for a reason. People don't wear their seatbelt because it's more comfortable and they think they won't get into a wreck. People don't wear condoms because it's more comfortable and they think they won't get an infection. People eat fast food because it's convenient and they think it won't cause them to have a heart attack or stroke. People ride motorcycles because it's enjoyable and they don't think it will hurt them. All of the preventive measures are very easy to do (wear your seatbelt, wear a condom, eat better, don't ride a motorcycle), but people still ignore them.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

Really.

Wrong. The additional injuries sustained by people who don't wear seatbelts increase the costs of providing emergency medical care and thereby increase insurance rates for everyone else on the road.

Now, if you're willing to waive any and all rights to medical services if you're not wearing your seatbelt, then I'm fine with you not wearing it. But as long as you ultimately cost me money through higher insurance rates, you can be damn sure that you are infringing upon me by not wearing your seat belt.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

Really.

Actually you are. When you fly through your windshield and end up on life support that you can't afford, everyone else has to pay for it. Dumbass.

So is the state going to force fat people to exercise and outlaw motorcycles?

Invalid comparisons. The seatbelt does not inconvenience you in any way.

ZV

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Really.

I view these laws the same way. I also think that the cell phone laws are :thumbsup: because you DO put other people in danger.

Take CT for example: Cell phone laws(but every single state officer is on his/her phone when they cruise by)..check, Seat belt laws..check, Helmet laws for motorcyles...no check??

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: EGGO

Friend nearly died because his backseat rider flew up from the backseat and hit his head. Victimless, no.

That doesn't mean I don't agree with you, just playing devil's advocate. I also think that, since the OP knew the law, he rightfully got the ticket. Now all you can do is consult with a lawyer and hope for the best.

This reminds me of the Mythbusters episode where they tested how much force various objects above the back seat of a car inflict in a crash. It was the Killer Tissue box in Season 2, the tissue box didn't do anything, but hatchets, fire extinguishers, and bowling balls (cannon balls?), among other things should definately be put on the floor, not up there by the rear window.

I almost always wear my seatbelt, unless I'm on my bike, and I'm getting in the habit of wearing my helmet on that now that I have one that goes faster than 35mph. It's just smart to do, I mean you don't have to, just keep extra money on hand for those fines and don't be surprised if you don't stay in the gene pool for very long.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but if you broke the seatbelt law and got caught on it, don't start a B&W thread on ATOT.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

Really.

Wrong. The additional injuries sustained by people who don't wear seatbelts increase the costs of providing emergency medical care and thereby increase insurance rates for everyone else on the road.

Now, if you're willing to waive any and all rights to medical services if you're not wearing your seatbelt, then I'm fine with you not wearing it. But as long as you ultimately cost me money through higher insurance rates, you can be damn sure that you are infringing upon me by not wearing your seat belt.

ZV

So what about if the person who didn't wear a seltbelt died, no cost to you. If he had worn a seat belt and it was a bad enough accident that he'd been killed if he hadn't, then you can bet that he'd probably require alot more medical care than if he died. There's two sides to everything.

Also in regards to EGGOs friend that nearly died because the person in the backseat flew forward, aren't there plenty of states out there that only require the front seat folks to wear seatbelts. If they want to play this nanny state nonsense then it needs to be across the board. Put seatbelts on buses, outlaw motorcycles, no eating and driving, no talking on cell phones, no smacking the kids in the back, etc...

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I wish dumb people like you were allowed to not wear seatbelts. Then we could let Darwin take his toll.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Now, i'm against mandatory seatbelt laws, but you're an idiot if you don't wear a seat belt.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
i can't drive without my seatbelt on. it just feels weird.

Same here.

But I disagree with seatbelt laws. "For Your Own Good" legislature, ftl.