Finally mustered the courage to reject religion.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
Here's a quote from Einstein that is relavent:

The Religiousness of Science:

There is a religious motive for doing science, but it does not entail a belief in a personal God.

totalnoob

Golden Member
Jul 17, 2009
Now try to think of a logical way that the universe was formed. Everything has a beginning, if not, that's kinda breaking a law of physics. You can't create or destroy energy, such as individual atoms that make up matter

Anyone else find it ironic that this guy made two contradictory sentences in the same paragraph? :) Red, you are correct about one thing. Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed as far as we know, which means they have always existed in some form or another, hence they did not require a creator. If we need to start somewhere, with something that cannot be created and always was, why not start with what we actually know exists? (the universe, composed of that uncreatable substance called matter)..rather than inventing magic genie capable of creating matter and energy by wishing them into existence?

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
I was brought up Catholic and when I was very young I clearly saw the hippocracy of the adults who attended the church.

Also, whenever I went to church I felt an overwhelming sense of dread.

Around the age of ten I saw the movie 'the Omen' and immediately thought that I must be evil because Damien also had a fearful reaction to getting close to a church.

Then around the age of ten I realized that most of the adult followers were hippocrits and just went to church because they were guilty of sin and wanted redemption.

I then realized that this is exaclty the sense of dread that I was feeling when I went to church.

This realization led me to rejecting the church at age 10 for freaking me out that I might be evil because I sensed the corruption of the adult followers.

I even stated, at age ten, to my parents and other followers that I do not believe in god and they just laughed at me.

Of course now I realize that I meant that I don't believe in their idea of god.

I still do not believe in organized religion to this day for mainly this reason alone.

Luckily I was fortunate to have not been molested by a priest.

Although one priest routinely drank an excessive amount of alcohol before sermons and during the sermon. Of course the drinking of the blood is symbolic but this priest had huge ass cup full of wine which he chugged right in front of everyone. I saw this first hand, up close as I was an altar boy.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
India is secular only because of its Hindu majority. Hinduism by nature is secular (so many differences within the 'religion'). India should not be secular at the expense of the majority; that is what's happening now. Don't be mistaken and think the Christian and Muslim fanatics would let India be so if they were in power. They, along with their Communist bedfellows are vying to destroy Hindus and Hinduism. Alas, their effort will be in vain for as India's motto states, Satyameva Jayate! :)

aieee teh rest of the world is out to get us!111

fucking batshit crazy

sarsipias1234

Oct 12, 2004
Anyone else find it ironic that this guy made two contradictory sentences in the same paragraph? :) Red, you are correct about one thing. Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed as far as we know, which means they have always existed in some form or another, hence they did not require a creator. If we need to start somewhere, with something that cannot be created and always was, why not start with what we actually know exists? (the universe, composed of that uncreatable substance called matter)..rather than inventing magic genie capable of creating matter and energy by wishing them into existence?

Matter and energy and space are all manifestations of the flow of time.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Theistic.

Yes, yes and yes. I do not want to be a part of any religion at all. When people like him and him make them believe that they are avatars/ incarnations of gods.. how can I possibly believe in god.

When Bashaa was contesting my argument that the epics of Mahabharata and Ramayana are just metaphors.. my point was regarding the characters in those epics. Like Ravana who is the demon god of Lanka(Present SriLanka) was depicted to have 10 heads.. Does that mean he really has 10 heads in literal sense?

Or the reason behind solar eclipse:

There is also an interesting video by Carl Sagan(RIP) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-_DdX8Ke0.Oh.. and I truly love it when he refers to trees as our cousins. I certaily don't know if what he said in the video is true or not, but it definitely is an interesting theory.

One school of thought thinks that to be true while the other outright rejects it saying creator is eternal.

My soul dies with me.. If I die, I die. People tend to associate death as an act of god or fate, I would rather think as it it to be a natural death or accidental(Which is purely coincidental). Also, when I die... I know the people who care about me will feel sad.. or the people who truly hate me will be happy/relieved. That is where my life ends and my legacy begins.

Thanks for sharing your journey and your story.