Finally a A10-8800P laptop for same at Newegg. But how fast is it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I'd take that, too bad it's $1000 CDN on newegg.ca, that's a huge price difference considering that it doesn't really match the exchange rate.
Not joking, avoid any U tier at any cost. If you can wait until the Core i5 HQ laptops lands. They are real Quad Cores and sodomizes even the i7 U big time.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thanks for the reply everyone...sounds like Intel and nvidia win this round, again.

If you are still reading this thread, do yourself a favor and find out what the cTDP limit is for that notebook, or look for some reviews of it on notebookcheck or something (not that they're 100% unbiased but it'll be a place to start).

The 8800P is a very nice chip when the OEM lets it run, but not many do. Plus the included dGPUs make very little sense for right now. Maybe in the future . . .

Masospaghetti

Mar 5, 2008
I am still reading this thread. I contacted Asus and they said they will confirm within 48 hours what the TDP of their design is.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
You talk about gaming and link WinRAR. Intel is better for gaming, period. And in Fallout 4, AMD CPUs are utter snails because they are so weak. 15 or 35W. Carrizo is too weak.

f4_cpu_nv.png

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Why bother with a laptop? desktop cheap mobo + i5 (4xxx series or newwer) and then find a nice video card. I like AMD GPUs in general as usually you get more bang for the buck, but, AMD doesnt currently have any CPUs that compete with the modern i5s.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
You talk about gaming and link WinRAR. Intel is better for gaming, period. And in Fallout 4, AMD CPUs are utter snails because they are so weak. 15 or 35W. Carrizo is too weak.

Winrar + a game, because integer apps are always running on the background and in a bursty way like the wifi connection...

As said Intel 2C/2TCPU are good for gaming assuming all the rest is closed, wich is the case of the graph you posted where there s not even a firewall or an antivirus installed in the test machine, or at least they are disabled, that is, unrealistic conditions to hide the poor perfs in real world usages.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Winrar + a game, because integer apps are always running on the background and in a bursty way like the wifi connection...

As said Intel 2C/2TCPU are good for gaming assuming all the rest is closed, wich is the case of the graph you posted where there s not even a firewall or an antivirus installed in the test machine, or at least they are disabled, that is, unrealistic conditions to hide the poor perfs in real world usages.

So you need to make up an unrealistic or time limited case (That isn't even correct) to try and sell AMD chips? Goalpost shifts as always.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
A laptop is a must for me, I travel all of the time. That Fallout 4 benchmark is brutal for AMD.

AMD gets murdered in this game, as proved above. 35W or not, Core i5-6200U is the better choice, unless you find a cheaper Intel quad-core. ;)

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
So you need to make up an unrealistic or time limited case (That isn't even correct) to try and sell AMD chips? Goalpost shifts as always.

I sell nothing, and you, do you..?..

There s no goalpost shifted, a laptop is often used like a DT with the same kind of usages and actualy as main PC, wich they are actualy not designed for as they lack the necessary grunt.

If you had looked smartly at the computerbase.de tests you would had noticed that only the FXs and the i7s, whatever the gen, are real DT class CPUs as their throughput doesnt collapse once you throw more than one app, and here it s just two apps....

Carrizo, contrary to Intel s i3/i5 doesnt suffer from this drwaback and likely that its behaviour is even better than the FX displayed in theses tests, now do the conclusions you want..

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012

it's a big open world game, some areas are not to heavy some are, gamegpu clearly choose poorly their test scene, if an i3 2100 is running at 53FPS min, it's not representative of the game on the heavier areas, the other tests are more useful,

but for the 8800P you should use a 30FPS lock anyway and lowered details, I think the GPU is a bigger problem

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Not joking, avoid any U tier at any cost. If you can wait until the Core i5 HQ laptops lands. They are real Quad Cores and sodomizes even the i7 U big time.
Well I'm still shopping for a 2-in-1 or such and haven't picked anything up yet, I remember the Core M's (once had an i5 4200M) and they're still fairly strong today compared to the U line.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
The only laptops mentioned in this thread that will play FO4 reasonably are the ones with the nvidia 860 and 960 GPU's. For 800 new, that Dell with the 960M is the best deal you are going to find for a gaming laptop.

Trying to get by with some integrated + dgu crossfire crap with an AMD cpu is just going to be painful in FO4.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Hey, I think this laptop could be even better for your requirements!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834298770

$800, quad core Skylake, 960M, 8GB memory...should rip through FO4!

There's another version for the same $800 price as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

It's got a 256GB SSD vs the 1TB 5400RPM.

The 960M is 128bit GDDR5, should slaughter the 940M 64bit DDR3.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile...e=1&directx=1&opengl=0&technology=0&daysold=0

Looks to be well over twice as fast, not surprising based on the specs. If you go to the individual page for the 960M you can see they have it listed averaging 31.4 FPS in Fallout 4 @ 1080p high detail. This looks to be about the minimum you'd want if the goal is decent frame rates at medium detail.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would have more reservations about using an AMD GPU on Fallout 4 than an AMD CPU. CPU shouldn't make a big difference. So long as the cTDP is the full 35/42W, Carrizo will do fine. AMD GPUs, on the other hand, are currently choking on this game. Some beta driver will probably address the issue.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Last edited:

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

Wow, good find. This one looks the best yet -- comes with 256 GB SSD with a spare slot for another 2.5" drive.

Where does it say that? From the tech manual (for the 7558 model anyway that the dell site links to) it looks like just one 2.5'' bay and no msata or m.2 interal slot.

They shrunk things down nicely. Negatives being no optical and appears to be an internal battery (under the removable bottom cover), so replaceable but not done in 5 seconds.

Edit: Nevermind. Amazon reviews say its an m.2 drive. Definately a nice price then with space for another ssd or hd.

Dell has the i7-6700HQ version for $949 with SSDHD though.

Last edited: