Finally a A10-8800P laptop for same at Newegg. But how fast is it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Masospaghetti

Mar 5, 2008
Honestly my real recommendation to the OP would be to save a few hundred more bucks and try to get a Haswell quad core laptop on discount. I bet there will be some great deals that pop up as retailers try to dump old Haswell systems as Skylake kicks in.

The higher power CPUs obviously are much worse for portability/battery life but they are actually freaking awesome for gaming.

I've been out of the loop lately with computer hardware, so bear with me.

How does this look? Intel i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX 860M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315177&ignorebbr=1

Mar 10, 2006
I've been out of the loop lately with computer hardware, so bear with me.

No problem, everybody on this forum is here for fun and to try to help. Ask us anything you need to make the most informed decision possible.

EDIT: Nevermind. The 860M is Maxwell, too. If you are OK with the refurb, that's a solid choice. Sweepr will probably chime in too with a recommendation; he follows a lot of the different laptop product releases so his knowledge of the landscape is probably better than mine.

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
The CPU is not important, the game will be severely GPU limited on those Laptop dGPUs.

The AMD APU + dGPU may have the advantage here, but only if the game and drivers support CrossFire.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
So your 'exhausted' Carrizo set at >30W can't match a 15W TDP Core i5-6300U @ Cinebench 11.5 MT and will still get murdered in ST. Poor Zen can't come soon enough.

Lol, you really think that the 6300U is running at 15W, that s the same 15W as the FX8800P in the Lenovo.

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Erster-Eindruck-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-im-Test.153170.0.html

Quite hot for 15W, isnt it, yet they helped by providing an ambiant at 20.5°C, notice that the SP3 is in a 27°C ambiant, talk of doctored review..

If ever you had doubts about Intel s hyped power effiency here the score of a 5200U wich is genuinely brick wall limited to 15W with no boost activated :

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Asus-Transformer-Book-Flip-TP500LA-Notebook.151645.0.html

What happened..?.How is it that some 5300Us manage 3+ in CB 11.5..?..
Here the answer :

http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Aldi-Medion-Akoya-E6418-Notebook.153037.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.com/filead...a_E6418-MD99620/Medion_Akoya_E6418_Stress.jpg

28W CPU that can get to 35W to score 3.49....

What were you saying about the 6300U..?.15W ?..:D

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
What were you saying about the 6300U..?.15W ?..:D

Must be really painful to see the chip you've hyped so much with those fancy reference system Cinebench results >30W get beaten by a mainstream 15W TDP Skylake-U. Unsurprisingly zero data about Skylake-U in your links.

Quite hot for 15W, isnt it, yet they helped by providing an ambiant at 20.5°C, notice that the SP3 is in a 27°C ambiant, talk of doctored review..

Just imagine a 35W TDP Carrizo then, that thing would become a furnace and still perform slower.
icon10.gif

Good news is OEMs know this and that's why most (of the few) Carrizo laptops with similar design as Intel U-series products are set at 15-20W TDP. Bad news is the performance gets even worse then.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Must be really painful to see the chip you've hyped so much with those fancy reference system Cinebench results >30W get beaten by a mainstream 15W TDP Skylake-U.

Just imagine a 35W TDP Carrizo then, that thing would become a furnace and still perform slower.
icon10.gif

Good news is OEMs know this and that's why most (of the few) Carrizo laptops with similar design as Intel U-series products are set at 15-20W TDP. Bad news is the performance gets even worse then.

Lol, you keep repeating yours myths even when faced with the raw facts, no wonder that you keep insisting with numbers from marketing slides...

The links i provided show that the 5257U barely manage to keep up in perfs/Watt at 30W with Carrizo, and that s in Cinebench, in integer it s a no contest in favour of the FX8800P, as i stated at the time Carrizo has better perf/Watt at 15W for the CPU, GPU is in another league.

Unsurprisingly zero data about Skylake-U in your links.

No better overall than a BDW, it s better thanks to some features that are present, with a few other ones, in Carrizo, SKL is just a catch up.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Lol, you keep repeating yours myths even when faced with the raw facts, no wonder that you keep insisting with numbers from marketing slides...

Biggest evidence right now is the piss poor performance of Carrizo in actual notebooks set at the same TDP as Skylake-U. I don't need better than that. ;)

No better overall than a BDW, it s better thanks to some features that are present, with a few other ones, in Carrizo, SKL is just a catch up.

So zero data about Intel's latest, gotcha. Keep your expectations under control next time to avoid embarassing yourself. Have a nice day.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Do know that GeForce 940M only has a 64bit DDR-3 memory ??? It will be destroyed only by the A10-8800P iGPU without even enable CrossFire with the dGPU 350DX.

No Nvidia GPU has the perf/watt of Carrizo IGPU, i wont even talk of the perf/watt of an Intel + Nvidia combo that must be abyssimal..

Suddenly perf/Watt, battery life do no more matter, the only "argument" is that it s Intel, really pathetic.

Mar 10, 2006

The links i provided show that the 5257U barely manage to keep up in perfs/Watt at 30W with Carrizo, and that s in Cinebench, in integer it s a no contest in favour of the FX8800P, as i stated at the time Carrizo has better perf/Watt at 15W for the CPU, GPU is in another league.

Serious question: if AMD chips are so darn good how come OEMs aren't flocking to buy them? I know if I were CEO of ASUS, I'd LOVE to be able to have a second source of great chips for my laptops, especially to keep Intel's pricing in check.

I think Carrizo is not anywhere near as good as you claim. The proof is in the design-win pudding.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
No Nvidia GPU has the perf/watt of Carrizo IGPU, i wont even talk of the perf/watt of an Intel + Nvidia combo that must be abyssimal..

Suddenly perf/Watt, battery life do no more matter, the only "argument" is that it s Intel, really pathetic.

Yea the GeForce 940M is at 25W TDP alone, add the CPU and you get 30-40W TDP.
The A10-8800P at 35W TDP with dual DDR-3 2133MHz will obliterate it.

Mar 10, 2006
For the millionth time, Intel gives rebates, AMD doesnt.

What does that even mean? Are you implying that Intel makes $10B+/yr in profit by giving away money for each CPU it sells?

Please explain this process a little bit better. Thanks.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Biggest evidence right now is the piss poor performance of Carrizo in actual notebooks set at the same TDP as Skylake-U. I don't need better than that. ;)

So zero data about Intel's latest, gotcha. Keep your expectations under control next time to avoid embarassing yourself. Have a nice day.

Skylake U just benefit from generous TDPs, the 15W boost up to 28-30W, so does the BDW but the manufactuers, and Intel power management, are more agressive in the settings, otherwise it would appear as disappointing.

As for exact datas we ll have to wait for reviews of laptops without dGPU but dont expect miracles, process is basicaly the same and wont be improved before the next gen 14nm CPU.

Carrizo on the other hand is limited to 15W with boost up to 20W in the HPs, or no boost at all like in the ACER, that said the HPs sell very well in the EU, the 17" version particularly wich is noticeable as the 15" are usually the most sold, this point to thoses laptops being used also as gaming devices.

For the millionth time, Intel gives rebates, AMD doesnt.

If one buy 90% of a quarterly production he will get a nice rebate, i suspect that HP did so with Carrizo, they have a competitive advantage that cant be explained otherwise, i mean HP is not cheaper than Acer generaly..

https://geizhals.de/?cat=nb&xf=6749_13#xf_top

Notice their Carrizo-L offering in line pricewise with the other brands but with the higher grade APU, a dGPU and even a FHD screen.

https://geizhals.de/?cat=nb&xf=6749_14#xf_top

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
What does that even mean? Are you implying that Intel makes $10B+/yr in profit by giving away money for each CPU it sells?

Please explain this process a little bit better. Thanks.

Example,

Lets say each Core i3 cost you $100

At the end of the year you buy 50 Core i3, then you get 1% back
At the end of the year you buy 100 Core i3, then you get 2% back
At the end of the year you buy 200 Core i3, then you get 3% back

etc etc

Also, OEMs redeem those rebates next year as discounts.

Also there are targets to meet,

Example,

If you buy 1000 CPUs you get another 2%.
If you buy 1000 CPUs + 500 SSDs you get another 3%.

etc etc

Very simplistically explained ;)

And im not talking about the Contra-Revenue and Tablet ATOMs here.

Edit: Just to be clear, its not only Intel that uses rebates like that. Alot of manufacturers does the same, examples are in Laptops, Motherboards etc etc

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Hey, I think this laptop could be even better for your requirements!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834298770

$800, quad core Skylake, 960M, 8GB memory...should rip through FO4!

Wow, great deal on that one. For an intel quad and GTX960M you usually have to pay 1000.00 at least.

All this said, no one has asked the OP yet if the comp has to be a laptop. He could get much more performance for the money with a desktop, at least if he does not have to buy a monitor.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Serious question: if AMD chips are so darn good how come OEMs aren't flocking to buy them? I know if I were CEO of ASUS, I'd LOVE to be able to have a second source of great chips for my laptops, especially to keep Intel's pricing in check.

I think Carrizo is not anywhere near as good as you claim. The proof is in the design-win pudding.

Designs are here and no worse than Intel s, what are you talking about.??.

For someone who pretend to be involved in the tech i find that you seriously lack some sense of observation...

You didnt notice that on a first step all manufacturers, safe HP, released only Carrizo-L laptops, with as much as 4 variants for Toshiba..

Why would they first release a product that they already have in inventories under the Beema s denomination, and given that Carrizo-L and Carrizo MBs are exactly the same.

Normaly they would shoot for the most compelling offering, unless of course that it s not available in big quantities, yet HP started this way as soon as the APU was released, they got almost a two months advantage being the only ones selling those laptops, so it makes no doubt that they made a deal with AMD, the same kind of deal that grant them exclusivity for 6 months for the pro version used in their Elite Books, wich is availale btw...

Aug 11, 2008
Yea the GeForce 940M is at 25W TDP alone, add the CPU and you get 30-40W TDP.
The A10-8800P at 35W TDP with dual DDR-3 2133MHz will obliterate it.

Any benchmarks to show that? You may be right, but we dont really know how carizzo will perform at 35 watt under heavy cpu *and* gpu load. At least without tweaking to avoid cpu throttling. An in a cpu heavy game, I think an intel quad plus 940 could indeed be faster.

But TBH I would not buy either for gaming except for older or non-intensive games.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
It is truly sad that the intel/nvidia solution is cheaper. That's been the whole problem with AMD notebooks. They just arent priced in any sort of reality. They jsut dont make enough of them to ever really provide the opportunity for discounts. You can always find intel notebooks for cheap because someone is always clearing out inventory.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
It is truly sad that the intel/nvidia solution is cheaper. That's been the whole problem with AMD notebooks. They just arent priced in any sort of reality. They jsut dont make enough of them to ever really provide the opportunity for discounts. You can always find intel notebooks for cheap because someone is always clearing out inventory.

And why would it be sad..?.

Price say that it s an inferior solution, with DX10 in sight they know that it s less future proof than the AMD solution, dont search elsewhere.

Besides as i already posted SKL like the other gen i3/i5 is no good for simultanous tasks involving FP and Integer tasks, so much for Intel supposed good perfs..

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
6200... U, I mean trash.
Still no decent i5 HQ based laptops.
Also 940M is not GDDR5.
So you will suffer a lot on gaming.

As other user said. Get 300 bucks more and get the i7 REAL Quad Core based laptop. It helps a lot. If you find an i5 Real Quad Core based laptop (it is even rarer than 35 watts FX laptop) get it no matter what. It's iGPU is 920M tier. As the panic button get a 35 watts FX based laptop. As far I know only Lenovo has it.

If you are a gamer, by any means just avoid the U tier laptops

Last edited: