FF7 remake trailer

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, Aeris doesn't die?

Not sure if answering that is technically a spoiler given that it could change and would be revealing an upcoming game?

Although, when the one-month delay occurred, I think some people were hoping that Square-Enix would fix some of the comments that arose from those that played the leaked version, and I heard that there were some comments about that scene in particular that people were hoping would be adjusted.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
To note, they've expanded upon the story, which is supposed to make it last longer than what you'd get in the original game. Now, whether that added story is actually good and/or substantial enough is something that we'll find out at release!
Sure they fleshed it out. But the whole thing is said to be only 30 hours. Just the base game took me 70 hours and side quests got it over the 100 hour mark. So we're definitely not getting as much content for the price tag, which is higher than what we paid back when.

Chromagnus

Feb 28, 2017
Sure they fleshed it out. But the whole thing is said to be only 30 hours. Just the base game took me 70 hours and side quests got it over the 100 hour mark. So we're definitely not getting as much content for the price tag, which is higher than what we paid back when.

Given this and my backlog of games I'm probably just going to wait and buy the "Ultimate Combined Edition" that features all of the episodes when they are done. I'm assuming they'll have some additional extras that they are going to add and bug fixes to add in. Hopefully it'll be a big PC release by that point too. Since this isn't a new story anyways it seems more worth it to just wait and let them finish everything.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
But what if they don't finish it? Heh.

While Square hasn't said about timing for Episode 2, Given how long Part 1 has taken, it'll probably be two years.

Engineer.AI

Mar 3, 2020
So far, the remake looks absolutely fantastic! Love the character re-designs and the stylistic choices here and there.

I really have no idea how the fans are going to react to the dramatic shift in gameplay. Now, don't get me wrong, if it was any other dev other than SE, this new shift in design would've ruffled a lot of people. But SE have already been doing this action-RPG style of games, for more than a decade now, with FFXI, KH, FFXV, etc. and it looks absolutely amazing here.

Rest, we shall see when the final product 'Final'ly drops - in like 2035, or whatever.
~Engineer.AI

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
What were your issues?
I did not like the gameplay. It is a huge departure from what FF7 was. It may as well have been an entirely different game.

It is episodic as well. If these new gameplay mechanics are what is hindering a full blown release, then it makes me not like the game even more.

The game does look great nonetheless - and it makes me feel sad that we aren't getting the traditional or near traditional FF7.

This feels more like an overhaul than a remake... and it is at the point where it's a different game wearing FF7's skin.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Final Fantasy 7 is pretty much the reason I stopped playing turn based RPG's because I hated how long everything took.

That said, I saw some videos of the gameplay and the demo, and I think they did a fantastic job. I think it looks pretty damn neat.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I didn't have time to download and try the demo. But I did watch some of the YouTube videos of people going through the demo. It does look well put together, despite never having played FF7.

I don't think I ever got into it when I was younger mainly because of the gameplay style and how long the turns took. But this looks like something I would try out when it's released.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Final Fantasy 7 is pretty much the reason I stopped playing turn based RPG's because I hated how long everything took.

That said, I saw some videos of the gameplay and the demo, and I think they did a fantastic job. I think it looks pretty damn neat.
The combat was fine.
The 500 cut scenes tend to slow down gameplay a bit.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I played the demo last night, and overall, it wasn't bad. It was pretty much what I expected. There are a few things on my mind though...
  1. I really hope the game lets you remap your buttons. I found myself mashing X/Cross too much, and I'd prefer if that was my attack button. I'd probably also consider moving my block button too.
  2. I'm a little worried about the quality of companion AI. During the Scorpion Tank fight, if you don't get behind debris when his tail laser is done charging, you will die. However, that counts for not only the character you are controlling, but also the AI-controlled characters too. During the fight, I lost Barret due to the AI failing to get him behind cover.
  3. The one thing that I don't like about the combat system is that it feels like I take a lot more damage over time than I did when the game was turn-based. This is likely due to how you seem to get hit more often and how you can only mitigate damage with blocking. (Some attacks can be evaded, others cannot.) This became a bit obnoxious when dealing with enemies that only certain characters could attack (e.g. the laser turrets on the wall).
  4. Boss battles seem to take a bit longer than I'd like. Based upon videos that I saw in the past, I had a feeling that I wouldn't be a fan of this and I talked about it a bit in the thread on video game AI, but I just get bored during long, repetitive battles. Oddly enough, mashing X/Cross in turn-based battles doesn't bother me... maybe because even though it's a little tedious, at least it's low effort?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I played the demo last night, and overall, it wasn't bad. It was pretty much what I expected. There are a few things on my mind though...
  1. I really hope the game lets you remap your buttons. I found myself mashing X/Cross too much, and I'd prefer if that was my attack button. I'd probably also consider moving my block button too.
  2. I'm a little worried about the quality of companion AI. During the Scorpion Tank fight, if you don't get behind debris when his tail laser is done charging, you will die. However, that counts for not only the character you are controlling, but also the AI-controlled characters too. During the fight, I lost Barret due to the AI failing to get him behind cover.
  3. The one thing that I don't like about the combat system is that it feels like I take a lot more damage over time than I did when the game was turn-based. This is likely due to how you seem to get hit more often and how you can only mitigate damage with blocking. (Some attacks can be evaded, others cannot.) This became a bit obnoxious when dealing with enemies that only certain characters could attack (e.g. the laser turrets on the wall).
  4. Boss battles seem to take a bit longer than I'd like. Based upon videos that I saw in the past, I had a feeling that I wouldn't be a fan of this and I talked about it a bit in the thread on video game AI, but I just get bored during long, repetitive battles. Oddly enough, mashing X/Cross in turn-based battles doesn't bother me... maybe because even though it's a little tedious, at least it's low effort?

I wish Mario Kart let you remap buttons.
Getting tired of hitting A all the time. Triggers would be a better choice.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I wish Mario Kart let you remap buttons.
Getting tired of hitting A all the time. Triggers would be a better choice.

I kind of doubt that Square-Enix will do it because both Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III do not allow you to remap buttons. (At least not when I checked.)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
thats one reason I still think Windows gaming is superior. They almost always let you remap everything and even if the game doesnt, theres usually some way to do it in Windows, with a 3rd party program or something.
Of course, if we dont get the FF 7 remake I will cry like a little girl with a skinned knee.

Mar 11, 2004
I kind of doubt that Square-Enix will do it because both Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III do not allow you to remap buttons. (At least not when I checked.)

Extra hassle/pain, but aren't there other ways to remap? Especially for some (isn't there something like modern Nintendo games switch A and B compared to what they used to be, or maybe its that Sony/others do the reverse?), it might be a better solution than hoping that individual games will allow remapping. I think Microsoft added the ability via accessibility related stuff?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Extra hassle/pain, but aren't there other ways to remap? Especially for some (isn't there something like modern Nintendo games switch A and B compared to what they used to be, or maybe its that Sony/others do the reverse?), it might be a better solution than hoping that individual games will allow remapping. I think Microsoft added the ability via accessibility related stuff?
Hm, that is a good point. I could try looking for some external remapping options. My only worry there would be that it’d be great if I they were internal and would transfer along with game saves. Although, not all Square-Enix games even support Steam Cloud. (Final Fantasy XV does but World of Final Fantasy does not.) I do play between a few different PCs, so it would at least be a minor hassle.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005

I've been playing a lot of games that use R1/RB for attacking so I kept finding myself hitting that button when I first got into a fight, so I totally understand this complaint.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Other countries like Australia and some in Europe got an early release. There have also been copies seen out in the wild in the US.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Isn't it out next Friday? Curious that there are reviews already.

Mine arrives on Thursday. Square-Enix sent out an e-mail stating that they were shipping units early to ensure that they arrived in time, but that they were possibly a bit overly cautious and that shipping times wouldn't be as bad as expected.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Mine arrives on Thursday. Square-Enix sent out an e-mail stating that they were shipping units early to ensure that they arrived in time, but that they were possibly a bit overly cautious and that shipping times wouldn't be as bad as expected.
Never played any Final fantasy game so I'm curious. I'll probably just buy it digitally since I don't plan on going to any stores.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Never played any Final fantasy game so I'm curious. I'll probably just buy it digitally since I don't plan on going to any stores.

I have read some complaints that since this remake is not the full game that it feels a bit padded out with tacked on side quests. Now, this may not be a big deal if you're new to the game as you won't know what it was like before, but for returning players, it may seem a bit annoying. I think I talked about this potential problem in some old thread. Essentially, Square can add tons of content to the game, but whether it will feel like worthwhile content is the real question.

Also, one thing that I didn't like about the new combat system -- at least in the demo -- is that you feel awkwardly weak with your attacks. Since you just sit there spamming attacks, they can't be as meaty as they would be in a turn-based game where you may have to wait 3-5 seconds between attacks. So, they're just really weak. (They could also just increase health and make the numbers bigger.)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have read some complaints that since this remake is not the full game that it feels a bit padded out with tacked on side quests. Now, this may not be a big deal if you're new to the game as you won't know what it was like before, but for returning players, it may seem a bit annoying. I think I talked about this potential problem in some old thread. Essentially, Square can add tons of content to the game, but whether it will feel like worthwhile content is the real question.

Also, one thing that I didn't like about the new combat system -- at least in the demo -- is that you feel awkwardly weak with your attacks. Since you just sit there spamming attacks, they can't be as meaty as they would be in a turn-based game where you may have to wait 3-5 seconds between attacks. So, they're just really weak. (They could also just increase health and make the numbers bigger.)
You know what I was reading some impressions about that the past few days. It seems a lot of people are complaining about that, not everyone but a good amount. I think to maximize profit and give themselves more time they want to release it in episodes because it was such a popular game, it makes sense to do it. But yea adding filler in each title like this will get annoying over time.

I sure won't know any different yet but I've got it downloading now in the background on the PS4.

This whole work from home thing isn't giving me any time to play video games anymore. Good thing I'm off tomorrow. Can't complain too much, I'd rather work 12hrs a day than not at all.