FDA clears killing germs on lettuce/spinach.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
How is anyone going to have any sort of basic immunity if everything is devoid of any basic bacteria?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: vhx

Topic Title: FDA clears killing germs on lettuce/spinach.
Topic Summary: With radiation.

It's all part of the admin's program to conserve energy. The glow from long lasting, irradiated lettuce and spinach will replace power hungry refrigerator light bulbs. :light: :cool:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider
Originally posted by: lozina
Logic dictates that if the irradiation procedure destroys e.coli/salmonella/other harmful bacteria it probably also destroys what's nutritious in some of these foods. So I think I'll pass on it.

Vitamins don't reproduce or metabolize. Neither does dead food. Radiation interferes with living things. Once it's dead, it's dead. No real worries here.

I eat my vegetables while they are still alive and want to keep it that way.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Logic dictates that if the irradiation procedure destroys e.coli/salmonella/other harmful bacteria it probably also destroys what's nutritious in some of these foods. So I think I'll pass on it.

Vitamins don't reproduce or metabolize. Neither does dead food. Radiation interferes with living things. Once it's dead, it's dead. No real worries here.

Too bad, Moonbeam, a new bill being passed around Congress will make serving uncooked vegetables illegal, due to health concerns. The government knows what is best for Moonbeam, and his children, too.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

There may be a side benefit if you eat irradiated veggies. You may be able to get a job as a night light. :p

Oct 25, 2006

Being irradiated doesn't mean the vegetables die..

And also, last time I checked, Vitamins don't have DNA, so radiation would be harmless against them

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

Logic dictates that you are wrong about that.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: Excelsior
The sad part is they actually have to wait for the FDA to "ok" this.

Better than not having the FDA at all...although I am sure you'd disagree. :roll:

:D

I'd prefer a much less corrupt organization do their job.

You mean you'd prefer no organization at all. I'll take the supposed corrupt vs. none.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
... so it's best to leave it up to a government organization to deem it safe.

:laugh:

Its like you live in fantasy land. You dream of a time when the government stayed out of issues like this as if it was a better era. Do you have a clue?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Its like you live in fantasy land. You dream of a time when the government stayed out of issues like this as if it was a better era. Do you have a clue?

I think you are missing his point. I think he means federal government oversight like that of the FDA. I agree, I would much rather have each state have their own organization or a private one. Competition is good IMO. The better the company or organization is that does the job, the more business (trust) they will get.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Better than not having the FDA at all...although I am sure you'd disagree. :roll:

You mean you'd prefer no organization at all. I'll take the supposed corrupt vs. none.

Uh, no, that's not what I said. And "supposed" my ass, the FDA is full of corruption. Look into it.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Fantasy land? Pffft, the only parties in search of a utopia would be the Democrats and Republicans.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: CitizenKain

Logic dictates that you are wrong about that.

Radiation can destroy some of the Thiamin, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C in foods.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
How is it they are going to label irradiated food but not Cloned?

What's cloning got to do with it. Plant cloning is a perfectly natural and normal way for plants to reproduce. Humans have been eating cloned plants since the beginning of the human race.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
How is it they are going to label irradiated food but not Cloned?

What's cloning got to do with it. Plant cloning is a perfectly natural and normal way for plants to reproduce. Humans have been eating cloned plants since the beginning of the human race.

Its MEAT. I suggest you read the thread cause you obviously didn't.

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
Logic dictates that irradiated foods will continue to grow and mutate inside of you and cause your body to explode. No thanks.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
ever get the feeling all of these "contaminated" vegetable scares were just a prelude to this?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great. Don't stop with veggies, hit the meat too. Hell, if you really want to cut down on illnesses in this country, irradiate daycares too!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This should also work for meat that's full of maggots. And lots of good stuff can be recycled our of the garbage.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

Fantasy land? Pffft, the only parties in search of a utopia would be the Democrats and Republicans.

False. The libertarians are as well. They just believe in a different path.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

Uh, no, that's not what I said. And "supposed" my ass, the FDA is full of corruption. Look into it.

I think you are missing his point. I think he means federal government oversight like that of the FDA. I agree, I would much rather have each state have their own organization or a private one. Competition is good IMO. The better the company or organization is that does the job, the more business (trust) they will get.

Sure, each state could do it. That might be better, but a private one? No. If oversight is what you're looking for, letting a private company do it doesn't make sense.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

False. The libertarians are as well. They just believe in a different path.

Explain.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Sure, each state could do it. That might be better, but a private one? No. If oversight is what you're looking for, letting a private company do it doesn't make sense.

I'm sure you'll change your mind when the FDA says you need a prescription for Vitamin C tablets. :D

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Here's a modest proposal, if you don't want fecal matter on your foods:
a) don't apply it to the fields
b) don't let it flow unchecked into the waterways that are used for irrigation
c) don't grow your produce in areas where it is susceptible to being contaminated by nearby pollution sources

As for getting produce of high quality, here's another modest proposal -- get rid of some of that ginormously useless lawn you may have and plant some vegetables, fruit, greens, et. al.!

We've got some corn, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, kale, collards, chard, chives, garlic, broccoli, onions, tomatoes, and several others all growing organically and that's with less than probably 70 square feet of space devoted to them, and certainly not on a farm. Lose a few of the rose bushes or lawn areas and plant some nice organic produce that will both look lovely, and be fresher and more delicious than what you could probably buy at the market.

As for irradiation, I'm a little shocked at some of the "urban legend" quality comments about it only harming things with DNA. What, you thinkgamma rays have little DNA seeking homing devices and they only affect bacterial nuclei. Think of it like a golf ball hit off inside of a glass house. Whatever it hits it is going to break, speaking of any chemical bonds regardless of what chemical it is inside. We can argue about dose effects of the ionizing beam and how bad that may be at creating problematic chemical compounds, but to believe it is somehow safe because it affects NOTHING but bacteria / DNA is something that shouldn't have passed a 7th grade science quiz.

Personally I'd rather not have fecal matter on my food whether sterilized or not, nor do I see a reason to import a lot of food from Mexico when I can walk ten feet and import it from my own garden instead.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BladeVenom

Radiation can destroy some of the Thiamin, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C in foods.

True, but it preserves more than other methods of sterilization, such as cooking.

Salads are a problem as they aren't cooked. However, strict farming practices limit the microbial contamination of the salads. Even so, salads are known to have much higher levels of contamination than other foods - people with weak immune systems are advised by the doctors, not to eat salads for this reason.

Irradiation is a useful method for improving the safety of foods, with little change in nutritional value, but it should not be used as an alternative to good farming practices.