FDA clears killing germs on lettuce/spinach.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Originally posted by: QuixoticOne
Here's a modest proposal, if you don't want fecal matter on your foods:
a) don't apply it to the fields
b) don't let it flow unchecked into the waterways that are used for irrigation
c) don't grow your produce in areas where it is susceptible to being contaminated by nearby pollution sources

As for getting produce of high quality, here's another modest proposal -- get rid of some of that ginormously useless lawn you may have and plant some vegetables, fruit, greens, et. al.!

We've got some corn, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, kale, collards, chard, chives, garlic, broccoli, onions, tomatoes, and several others all growing organically and that's with less than probably 70 square feet of space devoted to them, and certainly not on a farm. Lose a few of the rose bushes or lawn areas and plant some nice organic produce that will both look lovely, and be fresher and more delicious than what you could probably buy at the market.

As for irradiation, I'm a little shocked at some of the "urban legend" quality comments about it only harming things with DNA. What, you thinkgamma rays have little DNA seeking homing devices and they only affect bacterial nuclei. Think of it like a golf ball hit off inside of a glass house. Whatever it hits it is going to break, speaking of any chemical bonds regardless of what chemical it is inside. We can argue about dose effects of the ionizing beam and how bad that may be at creating problematic chemical compounds, but to believe it is somehow safe because it affects NOTHING but bacteria / DNA is something that shouldn't have passed a 7th grade science quiz.

Personally I'd rather not have fecal matter on my food whether sterilized or not, nor do I see a reason to import a lot of food from Mexico when I can walk ten feet and import it from my own garden instead.

:beer: Cheers to that. I don't have a yard though. :)

Whenever I do get one I am gonna plant some veggies. It's crazy how we have been trained to depend on someone else for nearly every aspect of our lives. It's even crazier (well... normal?) that most people don't even realize or refuse to realize how this MIGHT be a bad thing.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
How is it they are going to label irradiated food but not Cloned?

What's cloning got to do with it. Plant cloning is a perfectly natural and normal way for plants to reproduce. Humans have been eating cloned plants since the beginning of the human race.

Its MEAT. I suggest you read the thread cause you obviously didn't.

This thread is about lettuce/spinach. I suggest you read this thread's title.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why dont we just prohibit all food coming from Mexico. Most of the diseased produce comes from Mexico.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

What's cloning got to do with it. Plant cloning is a perfectly natural and normal way for plants to reproduce. Humans have been eating cloned plants since the beginning of the human race.

If you can't follow along then that's not my problem.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004

If you can't follow along then that's not my problem.

lol.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Must be why I will continue to grow my own food. I don't get sick from the worms in my broccoli or the bird shit on my spinach.

Mexicans must have some really good bacteria in their piss.