FDA clears killing germs on lettuce/spinach.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26332463
WASHINGTON - The government will allow food producers to start zapping fresh spinach and iceberg lettuce with just enough radiation to kill E. coli and other dangerous germs, a key safety move amid increasing outbreaks from raw produce.

Irradiated meat has been around for years, particularly ground beef that is a favorite hiding spot for E. coli. Spices also can be irradiated.

But there had long been concern that zapping leafy greens with X-rays or other means of radiation would leave them limp. Not so with today?s modern techniques.

Considering the situation we had with E. Coli and importing foods from Mexico, this kind of isn't surprising. (I guess they needed an excuse somehow) Instead of improving the actual conditions and places we get food from, their solution is just to irradiate it to get rid of germs that are all over it and market it.

Reminds me of them OKing Bisphenol A in plastics (like baby bottles) when they know heat and liquids causes the chemical to seep into the drink. (Bisphenol A = Linked to obesity, developmental problems, heart disease, and prostate/breast cancer for those who don't know.)

The good news is, supposedly they will be marking products that have had this with some sort of label.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

It's too bad the word 'radiation' instantly sets off panic in the minds of the general public.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: vhx
WASHINGTON - The government will allow food producers to start zapping fresh spinach and iceberg lettuce with just enough radiation to kill E. coli and other dangerous germs, a key safety move amid increasing outbreaks from raw produce.

Irradiated meat has been around for years, particularly ground beef that is a favorite hiding spot for E. coli. Spices also can be irradiated.

But there had long been concern that zapping leafy greens with X-rays or other means of radiation would leave them limp. Not so with today?s modern techniques.

Considering the situation we had with E. Coli and importing foods from Mexico, this kind of isn't surprising. (I guess they needed an excuse somehow) Instead of improving the actual conditions and places we get food from, their solution is just to irradiate it to get rid of germs that are all over it and market it.

Reminds me of them OKing Bisphenol A in plastics (like baby bottles) when they know heat and liquids causes the chemical to seep into the drink. (Bisphenol A = Linked to obesity, developmental problems, heart disease, and prostate/breast cancer for those who don't know.)

The good news is, supposedly they will be marking products that have had this with some sort of label.

Have links to back this up - Bisphenol A = Linked to obesity, developmental problems, heart disease, and prostate/breast cancer for those who don't know.)

The FDA just last week reaffirmed the safety of Bisphenol A.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Heard that a blood sample of the average US adult now contains significant levels of teflon, so think we're pretty much all screwed already.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
This is all a gay-homersexual liberal-democrat secret-moslim agenda to promot abortions. I swear.

God Bless Amaerica and God Belss the Trops!!!! MCCAIN08!!!

Edit: DRILL HERE!!! DRILL NOW!!!

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: vhx

Have links to back this up - Bisphenol A = Linked to obesity, developmental problems, heart disease, and prostate/breast cancer for those who don't know.)

The FDA just last week reaffirmed the safety of Bisphenol A.
Here are a few:
http://www.chej.org/BPA_Website.htm
http://www.ewg.org/reports/bisphenola
http://www.environmentcaliforn...rts/toxic-baby-bottles
http://www.mindfully.org/Plast...Development27may05.htm
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story...0/bisphenol-study.html

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
The sad part is they actually have to wait for the FDA to "ok" this.

Better than not having the FDA at all...although I am sure you'd disagree. :roll:

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Good. At least the Mexican excrement on your food will be completely sterile.

Moonie, you are a gentleman and a scholar. :thumbsup:

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
In clinical trials, 9 out of 10 lab rats died after just a few minutes in Kenmore Microwaves. Good thing we banned microwaves years ago. Progress!

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

It's too bad the word 'radiation' instantly sets off panic in the minds of the general public.

This... American's overall ignorace in science is just sad.

OH NOES TEH RADIATION!!!

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Time to pony up the extra money for 100% organicly grown. Refuse to be experimented upon by your government.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: PottedMeat

I am not panicking. I will finally be able to get my superpowers and start my superhero team. Popeye won't be the only one to get special powers through spinach!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I dont know why we havent been doing this for the past 2 decades. Europe has been doing this since I was in gradeschool. People freak out when you tell them though. Think they are processing their food in 3 mile island or something.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Logic dictates that if the irradiation procedure destroys e.coli/salmonella/other harmful bacteria it probably also destroys what's nutritious in some of these foods. So I think I'll pass on it.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah seriously why don't they just prohibit people from shitting in the fields, I think some Port-O-Johns is a cheaper and safer solution.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
I dont know why we havent been doing this for the past 2 decades. Europe has been doing this since I was in gradeschool. People freak out when you tell them though. Think they are processing their food in 3 mile island or something.

I tried finding some resources backing your claim but all I could find are staqtements which contradict that claim:

Although irradiated food now seems to be increasing in popularity in the US, it is still a very different story in Europe. There, only one category of food, dried herbs and vegetables, is approved by the EU

Food Irradiation: What Is The Current Situation In The European Union?

Food irradiation remains a little known and marginal practice in Europe. However, the pressures from the nuclear lobby, governments and international organisations backing liberal globalisation and the expansion of trans-national corporations (TNCs), are eager to spread this controversial technology worldwide.

In Europe, on the other hand, lobby groups have had much more of an influence on the outcome of irradiated foods. Currently the EU only allows one category of foods to be irradiated, dried herbs and vegetable stock. The situation does vary from country to country, with France having the most liberal laws, but in the UK the influence of powerful lobby groups means that no retailer currently stocks any irradiated foods.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: bamacre
The sad part is they actually have to wait for the FDA to "ok" this.

Better than not having the FDA at all...although I am sure you'd disagree. :roll:

:D

I'd prefer a much less corrupt organization do their job.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: lozina
Logic dictates that if the irradiation procedure destroys e.coli/salmonella/other harmful bacteria it probably also destroys what's nutritious in some of these foods. So I think I'll pass on it.

Vitamins don't reproduce or metabolize. Neither does dead food. Radiation interferes with living things. Once it's dead, it's dead. No real worries here.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
And for those who want to know more, the links are very weak and in fact FDA this week released an updated assertion that BPA is unsafe as far as they can tell.

We could go back and forth all day on BPA, of course, so it's best to leave it up to a government organization to deem it safe. FDA says it is. Canada's equivalent is more guarded. The obvious problem, of course, is that if we do go from BPA to alternative chemicals, they may only be safe because we've not had as long to study their impacts, right?