FBI- No terror intent in men who had 1000 cellphones.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Maybe it was a hot deal, and they wanted to get in on it and resell for profit. Nothing new here. I don't see why they don't have a right to make a living just because they are Arab and some racists find it suspicious. What's next? Arabs can't buy nails or pipes because you can make bombs with them?
And why should they have to tell you where the profits are going? Why don't you tell us where you spend every dollar of your income?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Dude there's no jury!

There's no charges!

The DA cut them lose b/c there was no good reason to arrest them in the first place!

These guys were arrested for practicing 'capitalism while Arab.'

There are two cases.

1. Ali Houssaiky and Osama Sabhi Abulhassan, also of Dearborn (nice name - Osama...lol)

Ali and Osama charges were dropped in Ohio because of insufficient evidence, but they are being charged with a misdemeanor of lying to police.

2. Adham Othman, Louai Othman, and Awad Muhareb of Texas (of which the article techs posted and incorrectly attributed a quote to the FBI, and which this thread is about).

Those threee are currently in a MI jail pending $750,000 bond. They have been charged wioth "gathering material relating to terrorism and surveillance of a vulnerable target", both felonies.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: ECUHITMAN

I'm not asking people to explain their every action... But when something pops out that is this out of the ordinary I think someone has the right to ask. If they had been caught with $100k in the van they would have been forced to prove how they got the money.

Nobody needs 1000 phones. They should have to explain that.
Apparently you don't believe they were selling them for profit, because you keep saying the same thing about 'normal' people not needing 1000 cell phones. Look if you want to charge them with tax evasion, fine. If you want to follow up and find out where they live and covertly follow them around, that works too.

Actually I do believe they are selling them for profit. What I would like to know is where those profits are going. There are networks of individuals in this country who funnel money to so-called "charities" that are really humanitrian fronts for terrorism.
How come you don't want to know where the income from MY job is going? How come the authorities don't stop street vendors selling ice cream and ask them where their profits are going? How come making a profit selling cell phones is "suspicious" but making a profit working for Verizon or Microsoft or Exxon is not?

Keep you nose out of other people's business.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: shira

I'm not asking people to explain their every action... But when something pops out that is this out of the ordinary I think someone has the right to ask. If they had been caught with $100k in the van they would have been forced to prove how they got the money.

Apparently you don't believe they were selling them for profit, because you keep saying the same thing about 'normal' people not needing 1000 cell phones. Look if you want to charge them with tax evasion, fine. If you want to follow up and find out where they live and covertly follow them around, that works too.

Actually I do believe they are selling them for profit. What I would like to know is where those profits are going. There are networks of individuals in this country who funnel money to so-called "charities" that are really humanitrian fronts for terrorism.
How come you don't want to know where the income from MY job is going? How come the authorities don't stop street vendors selling ice cream and ask them where their profits are going? How come making a profit selling cell phones is "suspicious" but making a profit working for Verizon or Microsoft or Exxon is not?

It's amazing to me, as smart as you and others on this board are, the comparisons you are trying to make in this case. It actually makes my head hurt.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

It's amazing to me, as smart as you and others on this board are, the comparisons you are trying to make in this case. It actually makes my head hurt.

Why? Are Arab-Americans not allowed to participate in Trade? Why not arrest Walmart Execs for buying Millions of phones, what use do they have for that many?

cumhail

Apr 1, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski

Why? Are Arab-Americans not allowed to participate in Trade? Why not arrest Walmart Execs for buying Millions of phones, what use do they have for that many?

Pfft, you just don't get it. The issue is that when AY-RABS make a profit on something, especially on something "off the books," they invariably use it fund terror. Sure, a lot of other people make an unofficial living reselling things they found in Anandtech's Hot deals forum on ebay or elsewhere... But we're talking about ay-rabs, here. They're all born terrorists and terrorist-sympathizers, after all. And if they're not blowing things up, themselves, they must be funding others who are.

There, I tried to explain it to them, Whoozyerdaddy... but these people who just don't get it are making my head hurt.

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah, ok, it's kinda suspicious. If I was buying 1000 phones from a major retailer I hope someone would look into it too. But I think local law enforcement went over the line.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000

Now you see what the "real" conservative agenda amounts to--"Keep your nose out of MY business, but your business is fair game"

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

It's none of your business where that money is going. How do we know where your money is going? Maybe you should be arrested. In fact, I'm pretty sure I heard someone once say that some guy who posts under the name Whoozyerdaddy funnels money to terrorists. And that's evidence enough for me.

But you can't just arrest people and put them on trial on basically very vague charges of 'collecting or providing materials for terrorist acts and surveillance of a vulnerable target for terrorist purposes'. Since when did buying a lot of cell phones at wal-mart fall under collecting materials for terrorists acts and surveillance of a vulnerable target..? These charges were handed out because of the fear of them being Arab and Muslim and wanting to commit a terrorist attack.

Agreed. I believe the charges were filed (knowing they would be quickly dismissed) as a delay tactic to give the police more time to lookinto these guys. I'm not 100% comfortable with that. But I'm equally unconvinced that in this case it was the wrong thing to do.
When the police show up at your door and drag you away for what you think is insufficient reasoning, we'll all applaud because even though it may not be the right thing, we won't be unconvinced it's the wrong thing to do. I'm sure you deserve it.

Look, I know it was a while ago but I had an internship at NCIS and while I was there we received a copy of the unclassified translated Al Qaeda training manual that I made a power point presentation to train new agents. Anyway, the instructions were pretty simple. Don't use the phone, and don't do anything to arouse suspicion. They even said to make sure you look like Americans (i.e. wear blue jeans, cut your hair, use deodorant, etc.) so you can blend in. They even addressed the issue that being Arab will immediately arouse suspicion so they had to be even more careful when going out in public.

These guys were using cash only. If you use cash as opposed to a credit card or check there is no trail. It is the method least likely to be noticed by anyone checking credit records. They also apparently bought these phones at odd hours in the hopes of getting an inexperienced cashier who would be less likely to act on their suspicious behaviors.

That said, I don't believe these individuals are terrorists. I do suspect they are part of a financial conduit for terrorism.
I almost always spend cash. I rarely use a check or credit card. Am I a terrorist?

I for one don't want stores, credit companies, and the government able to track every thing I purchase. I believe this is a free country where I have a right to privacy as long as I'm doing nothing illegal. Should I be arrested for using legal tender to pay for things?

What leads you to susptect they're involved in funding terrorism? Got any proof? Or are you just another slack-jawed yokel who thinks anybody with the wrong sking color might just be a terrorist?

The whole idea that trained terrorists that were in the USA to carry out an attack would be buying and re-selling cell phones for a few thousand dollars goes against everything in the training manual and common sense. Is it possible they were here for another purpose? Maybe. Is it possible they are sympathetic and wanted to send money over help the cause? Maybe. Will we ever know if our first response is to arrest, hand out trumped up charges, without investigating? If you think we should arrest every person in this country that is doing something that falls under the suspicious category, you better declare martial law and start setting up those concentration camps again because that is exactly where we would be going.

You had one comment in that paragraph that falls in line with where my brain is at right now. I don't think these guys are terrorists. I suspect they are funneling cash to terrorists.

The second half of your paragraph is just ridiculous. Nobody wants that, certainly not me. But I am all for an investigation to find out what these guys are up to. It is only prudent to follow up in this situation.

EDIT: if you would like to read the manual do a google search for "Al Qaeda Training Manual" or click Here

How do we really know what YOU are up to? Maybe you're a terrorist. Pointing the finger at other people would be a great way to obfuscate your real activities, and keep the authorities busy. So while they're investigating some guys who resell cell phones, Whoozyerdaddy is planning the next big strike on America. In fact, that sounds like a pretty good reason to arrest you. I'm suspicious of your activities. Somebody call the FBI.

jimkyser

Nov 13, 2004
1. Who are they selling these phones to? Why would anyone pay $38 for a $20 phone? Why buy it off the street or off E-Bay when they could just as easily and annonymously buy them for cash at Wal-Mart?
Have you ever watched any of the auctions for popular electronic items on eBay. Most of the sell for over what you can buy in most retail stores and then the seller usually adds in a shipping price that is about 2x what it costs them to ship. The fact is, people are stupid, especially when they are buying something that they THINK they need.
2. Where is the money going? That is the question I want to know. Is this just a clever for-profit scheme these guys came up with for their own material benefit or are they forwarding the proceeds on to someone else? And if so, who and why?
Frankly, that's none of your business. Just because someone figures out a way to turn an easy buck many times over, neither you nor anyone else has any right to be told where they might spend that buck. They would need to report any income over a certain amount to the IRS just like gambling winnings (but I bet they don't just like many people who buy/sell at garage sales for profit), but how they spend/save/invest it is only for them to know.

ECUHITMAN

Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett

These guys were using cash only. If you use cash as opposed to a credit card or check there is no trail. It is the method least likely to be noticed by anyone checking credit records. They also apparently bought these phones at odd hours in the hopes of getting an inexperienced cashier who would be less likely to act on their suspicious behaviors.

That said, I don't believe these individuals are terrorists. I do suspect they are part of a financial conduit for terrorism.[/b]

I almost always spend cash. I rarely use a check or credit card. Am I a terrorist?

I for one don't want stores, credit companies, and the government able to track every thing I purchase. I believe this is a free country where I have a right to privacy as long as I'm doing nothing illegal. Should I be arrested for using legal tender to pay for things?

What leads you to susptect they're involved in funding terrorism? Got any proof? Or are you just another slack-jawed yokel who thinks anybody with the wrong sking color might just be a terrorist?

How do we really know what YOU are up to? Maybe you're a terrorist. Pointing the finger at other people would be a great way to obfuscate your real activities, and keep the authorities busy. So while they're investigating some guys who resell cell phones, Whoozyerdaddy is planning the next big strike on America. In fact, that sounds like a pretty good reason to arrest you. I'm suspicious of your activities. Somebody call the FBI.

While I do not think Whoozyerdaddy is trying to suggest that if you use cash you are a terrorist, I do think that he is trying to suggest in the above circumstance it is strange to use cash to buy 80 cell phones (of 1000's) of them. As compuwiz1 posted above, you can buy cell phones from wal-mart and sell them at a flea market and flea markets are very likely to be cash only. Well if they have been doing this for a while I would guess that is where they got the cash and why they had only cash to buy more cell phones.

The problem I have to all of this is most of what is suggested is reactionary. "Look, over there some Arabs doing something strange, lets charge them and see if we can tie them to terrorism." The problem with that is it will never work in the long run. If you want to know where the cash is going, there has to be ways to figure it out without violating their rights. Just an idea, but maybe it would be a good idea to send undercover FBI agents to flea markets and other cash only venues and start cataloging license plates and photos of people there and people selling things. Maybe with a large interconnected real time database it would be possible to keep tabs on suspicious people.

Look I have no idea what we could do to actually make us safer, but it literally scares me that people are ok with violating someone?s rights in order to see if you can charge them with something.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
I corrected your formula.

Suspicious behaviour = Call Authorities + Authorities Investigate + <crow about it through all news agencies> = Find Evidence + Arrest/Don't Arrest based on Evidence + <If not arrested barely mention it to the news agencies>.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: PELarson
I corrected your formula.

Suspicious behaviour = Call Authorities + Authorities Investigate + <crow about it through all news agencies> = Find Evidence + Arrest/Don't Arrest based on Evidence + <If not arrested barely mention it to the news agencies>.

Ah yes, works splendidly now. Thanks! :)

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Are you saying we shouldn't have looked into this?

Regardless of how it eventually panned out I would think that law enforcement would be completely derelict in their duties not to check out why three arab men were in posession of 1000 cell phones.

just becuase they were arabs. RACIST BAN!