Fat loss - how to lose the bulge and gain the ripples

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 29, 2004
If you do something like added cheese and mustard, it's still relatively low in calories. If you're getting mayo, bacon, with oil and vinegar at the end, yeah, that's not the greatest idea.

oil is calorie dense. vinegar is not though. I usually gets subs with vinegar.

The thing that is nice about subway is that you can load up on veggies which provide a nice spectrum of food sources while having a small impact on calories.

Like SC says though. Avoid bacon, mayonnaise, oil, etc and you'll be fine.

Never realizes that mustard is bad. read up on it. honey mustard is bad at 30 cals per tablespoon. But mustard seems to be in the sub 20 calorie range per tablespoon.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
The thing that is nice about subway is that you can load up on veggies which provide a nice spectrum of food sources while having a small impact on calories.

n.

lol yea when i do go to subway i load it with basically all the veggies, i wish they also had sprouts. as my brother says "you just got a salad on top of your sub"

Mar 22, 2002
Just as a notice - I'm trying to get an official blog in order and may post the revised fat loss sticky on there as opposed to here. I'm trying to get the info out there now so that my knowledge and comments don't only help you on these ATHF forums, but others elsewhere. In addition, it's always nice to have my name out there in return for my dedication and time spent on helping individuals. Thought I'd let you guys know. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

pelov

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2011

I noticed the same thing today when I ordered a 6" subway sammich. I may have went a little overboard with the veggies

tumblr_m61v8yYd2W1qlecb7o1_500.gif

MarkHunt

Sep 4, 2012
www.sciaticaexerciseshub.com
Just as a notice - I'm trying to get an official blog in order and may post the revised fat loss sticky on there as opposed to here. I'm trying to get the info out there now so that my knowledge and comments don't only help you on these ATHF forums, but others elsewhere. In addition, it's always nice to have my name out there in return for my dedication and time spent on helping individuals. Thought I'd let you guys know. I'll keep you posted as things progress.

That's awesome, I really enjoy reading your stuff. I think it is a great idea to have everything on one spot and to get to know you better. You definitely deserve the recognition.

josesinkler

Nov 8, 2012
Most of people who have more fat on their body suffer from heavy weight. According to me Exercise is the best option to loose your weight. For getting fat loss you don't eat food that are much oily and spicy because it creates you so fatty.

Mar 22, 2002
Most of people who have more fat on their body suffer from heavy weight. According to me Exercise is the best option to loose your weight. For getting fat loss you don't eat food that are much oily and spicy because it creates you so fatty.

"According to me?" Reputable source. Do I get an iPod now? :)

Also, spicy food makes you fat? Who woulda known? Lol...

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Also, spicy food makes you fat? Who woulda known? Lol...
Probably to to do with the oil/fat that comes along with the dish. A lot of spicy southeast asian delicacies like curries, chilli oil, laksa, etc come packed with quite a bit of oil/fat in them and they are often spicy.

By the way, great article. I definitely enjoyed reading it and have got more than just a few good pointers from it.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Been reading all your advice to motivate me. For last couple months I was just hitting the treadmill and really not doing much else. Finally got the gumption to really improve myself. Tossed all the junk, went out and bought healthy stuff. Got a local gym membership, and added yoga & resistance to my jogging.
Gym is 24 hours which is good cuz sometimes I wake up and really cant sleep. Would rather do something than stare at the ceiling. My intention is to lose a hundred pounds this coming year. Given that I am 130 pounds overweight I dont know how hard or easy that will be.

If you guys want Before pics I'd be willing to share them, but I'd prefer to wait for proper Before & After pics.

Oh, and thanks for pushing me.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Been reading all your advice to motivate me. For last couple months I was just hitting the treadmill and really not doing much else. Finally got the gumption to really improve myself. Tossed all the junk, went out and bought healthy stuff. Got a local gym membership, and added yoga & resistance to my jogging.
Gym is 24 hours which is good cuz sometimes I wake up and really cant sleep. Would rather do something than stare at the ceiling. My intention is to lose a hundred pounds this coming year. Given that I am 130 pounds overweight I dont know how hard or easy that will be.

If you guys want Before pics I'd be willing to share them, but I'd prefer to wait for proper Before & After pics.

Oh, and thanks for pushing me.

Its always a great idea to do before/after pics for yourself. I wish I had done it when I started to drop the pounds. I am going to do it tomorrow and take a new picture every three months to see my improvements this year.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so i'm going to start changing my diet and stop eating whatever i want. i've still got my strength but i want to lean up if possible and keep as much size as i can. currently 212lbs 5'11.

it is pretty easy for me to change my diet and eat healthy (ie the mental aspect of it), however i had a couple questions as to what exactly is recommended for certain areas.

1. i make protein shakes with milk. i can't do it with only just water due to taste. would it be more beneficial to cut out the milk and pour a little whipping cream into the water instead to give it some more texture? i used to do this when i was on low carb diets, but this isn't strictly a low carb diet, although i'm going to be lowering carb intake slightly.

2. what are good snacks to have around the house that are healthy? like just something i can munch on if i get a little hungry. i know nuts are good, but what other things?

3. typically when starting to eat cleaner, i will make 2 sandwiches and bring them to work and eat one around noon and another around 2. i'm trying to go a little cleaner for lunch now and not eat as much bread and i know deli meat isn't the best for you either. i used to have either ham/cheese, turkey/cheese, or roast beef/cheese for the sandwiches. i'm just looking for suggestions on what to eat in place of that. i also have no problems eating the same things 5 days a week.

i also just want to be sure that i don't lose weight fast. in the past that happens to me and i lost more size than i want to. i hate when i start to try and cut how i lose strength, it messes with my head.

for dinners i plan on making primarily boneless skinless chicken breast, or fish, or possibly one of the leaner cuts of steak. and then having some frozen green veggies with it and possibly some sort of salad as well. just hard to have salads without all the croutons and dressing, and by the time i have one it's not healthy anymore lol.

so any suggestions on my questions would be appreciated. going to the grocery store tonight after shoulders at the gym!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
I noticed the same thing today when I ordered a 6" subway sammich. I may have went a little overboard with the veggies

tumblr_m61v8yYd2W1qlecb7o1_500.gif

I've gotten good enough at Subway that I can go get a 12" sub with 660 calories on it.

The only way to go lower is to order a veggie sub whcih I refuse to do ;-)

Tips:
Get italian bread (lowest cal available)
Provolone for some reason is the lowest calorie cheese
Turkey and Black Forest ham sandwhich is the lowest calorie meat based option
Load up on all the veggies you want.
Get Vinegar and not mayo or oil based anything. Vinegar is 0 calorie!

This will always keep you under 700 calories. I think with all veggies you're looking at 680 or so.

Sep 29, 2004
purbeats:

Healthy snacks:
Fruits and vegetables
Almonds (careful though, calorie dense. Actually count them!)
popcorn/no butter
water (fills the tummy)
tea (I recently moved to this from coffee/creamer at work. Figure I am cutting out 120 cals a day)

Not so healthy snacks that I enjoy:
Jax/Cheese Curls
popcorn, a tablespoon of butter
diet Soda
pickles (unhealthy version of cucumbers at 5 cals a piece)
Del Monte canned fruit (no sigar added variety is 140 cals per can. Fills you right up)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
purbeats:

Healthy snacks:
Fruits and vegetables
Almonds (careful though, calorie dense. Actually count them!)
popcorn/no butter
water (fills the tummy)
tea (I recently moved to this from coffee/creamer at work. Figure I am cutting out 120 cals a day)

Not so healthy snacks that I enjoy:
Jax/Cheese Curls
popcorn, a tablespoon of butter
diet Soda
pickles (unhealthy version of cucumbers at 5 cals a piece)
Del Monte canned fruit (no sigar added variety is 140 cals per can. Fills you right up)

cool thanks for the list. i was not aware that popcorn (without seasoning) was good for you. i am going to look into that.

i'm also stopping diet soda. i usually drink like 3-4 12oz cans a day because they have em at work but im going to just drink water now. probably gonna have a headache for 2 days until my body is used to no caffeine. although i may just drink 1 in the morning and then no more, not sure yet.

i got some 100% natural peanut butter today as well as 100% whole wheat bread. is that a decent snack, to just plop some of that peanut butter on a piece of wheat bread?

Sep 29, 2004
If you want to make your own bread, look up Dee's Wheat Bread at AllRecipes.com It is awesome!

I've cut soda intake a bit but mostly due to lunch time habbits. I still have 3 or so cans a day. Stuff is to damned good. I want to get off it but I need a replacement first. I have not found a good replacement.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
If you want to make your own bread, look up Dee's Wheat Bread at AllRecipes.com It is awesome!

I've cut soda intake a bit but mostly due to lunch time habbits. I still have 3 or so cans a day. Stuff is to damned good. I want to get off it but I need a replacement first. I have not found a good replacement.
Damn, and I thought a can every couple days was bad... of course I'm drinking the sugar stuff ;)

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Hopefully someone is still checking this thread...

My g/f is starting a keto cut in about a month and a half. While at a deficit, would it make sense to decrease the sets from five to three? She is doing stronglifts.

Mar 22, 2002
Hopefully someone is still checking this thread...

My g/f is starting a keto cut in about a month and a half. While at a deficit, would it make sense to decrease the sets from five to three? She is doing stronglifts.

Yeah, it would definitely make sense to drop the number of sets. With keto, immediate recovery between sets will be delayed so three sets would be much more manageable. Good thought process on your guys' part.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i got a question about eating during a cutting phase...

so i'm trying to eat better now to shed some body fat. my protein shakes i usually take with milk.

would it be more beneficial, as far as leaning up, to take my shakes with water + heavy whipping cream instead of milk, due to the carb/sugar in milk? i'm talking like 1-2 spoons of heavy whipping cream added to water, then mixing in the whey with it.

i just can't do it with water only. it is too thin and i just can't stomach it more than like once every now and then.

i typically use skim milk now. so would it be better for the time being to use water + a little heavy whipping cream just to get it some thickness?

i've done it in the past when i was doing a really low carb diet and it did work for me then, but i was doing very low carb then. i don't plan on doing that right now. carb wise i'm eating 2 sandwiches a day at work, on whole wheat bread, so i have 4 slices of whole wheat bread carb wise. sometimes i'll snack on a couple pretzels at work too.

but my dinner usually consists of chicken breast + some green veggies or some other veggies, so not much carbs other than during the day at work. i have a shake for breakfast. my protein shakes (the whey itself) contain like 8 or 10 grams of carbs.

so what is your all take on my idea - milk or heavy whipping cream for cutting up?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

so i'm trying to eat better now to shed some body fat. my protein shakes i usually take with milk.

would it be more beneficial, as far as leaning up, to take my shakes with water + heavy whipping cream instead of milk, due to the carb/sugar in milk? i'm talking like 1-2 spoons of heavy whipping cream added to water, then mixing in the whey with it.

i just can't do it with water only. it is too thin and i just can't stomach it more than like once every now and then.

i typically use skim milk now. so would it be better for the time being to use water + a little heavy whipping cream just to get it some thickness?

i've done it in the past when i was doing a really low carb diet and it did work for me then, but i was doing very low carb then. i don't plan on doing that right now. carb wise i'm eating 2 sandwiches a day at work, on whole wheat bread, so i have 4 slices of whole wheat bread carb wise. sometimes i'll snack on a couple pretzels at work too.

but my dinner usually consists of chicken breast + some green veggies or some other veggies, so not much carbs other than during the day at work. i have a shake for breakfast. my protein shakes (the whey itself) contain like 8 or 10 grams of carbs.

so what is your all take on my idea - milk or heavy whipping cream for cutting up?

whipping cream? You serious? Stick to milk.

Mar 22, 2002

Heavy cream is a bit excessive. I know lots of guys doing a ketogenic diet will do it, but 1) it's not health and 2) not necessary. If you're concerned with the 10g of carbs you're going to get from 8oz of milk, then your nutrition must be absolutely spot on. Personally, I say if you want a little bit lower carbs, you could go with almond milk (more healthy fats) or coconut milk (more saturated fats). Honestly though, before you worry about this, you gotta make sure everything else is your diet is essentially perfect.

If you're looking to cut carbs, I'd definitely say cut the sandwiches. To be honest, especially when cutting, I have people eat just small meals. For example, chicken breast/thigh plus beans plus non-starchy veggies (broccoli or something). That's fairly low calories, moderate carb (but high fiber). I think if you're doing the calorie thing right, you can still get 30-40% of calories from carbs and get lean. Now if you're trying to get 4-6% body fat lean, you may have to forgo more carbs.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Heavy cream is a bit excessive. I know lots of guys doing a ketogenic diet will do it, but 1) it's not health and 2) not necessary. If you're concerned with the 10g of carbs you're going to get from 8oz of milk, then your nutrition must be absolutely spot on. Personally, I say if you want a little bit lower carbs, you could go with almond milk (more healthy fats) or coconut milk (more saturated fats). Honestly though, before you worry about this, you gotta make sure everything else is your diet is essentially perfect.

If you're looking to cut carbs, I'd definitely say cut the sandwiches. To be honest, especially when cutting, I have people eat just small meals. For example, chicken breast/thigh plus beans plus non-starchy veggies (broccoli or something). That's fairly low calories, moderate carb (but high fiber). I think if you're doing the calorie thing right, you can still get 30-40% of calories from carbs and get lean. Now if you're trying to get 4-6% body fat lean, you may have to forgo more carbs.

okay cool thanks for that. yeah i mean i don't HAVE to eat chicken salad sandwiches for lunch, it is just something easy to make and eat and other than the bread, has 0 carbs.

and these are small meals to me. a sandwich to me is a small meal, and i definitely need 2 of them to get me through the day. so i'd have to eat 2 of the chicken/bean type meals as well to get me through the day. im not a small guy, i'm like 210lbs now and want to see if i can possibly get down to 200 and keep my size. i do know what it is like trying to work out on a VERY low carb diet (under 30g/day) and it's tough, so i don't want to go that low or anything. it definitely did shed the body fat though big time.

the slow cooker i got is awesome so maybe i can cook a ton of chicken breasts in there and mix that with some beans or something, and eat that for lunch throughout the week.

i will look into almond milk or one of the other milks though and see how i like the taste of it with protein shakes. i wasn't too sure how healthy/unhealthy whipping cream is because i've only ever used it when i was going really low carb, and that was only for like a month or 6 weeks.