Fat loss - how to lose the bulge and gain the ripples

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dallascisco

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2003
I don't think the weight is as much of an issue as the body stress. as others mentioned you don't go from couch to straight running no matter what you weigh. Your body simply isn't used to it. I'll speak from personal experience here. When I started back in the gym last year heavily I had issues with running at first. some people may remember my long thread about shin splints. Long story short I was pushing myself too hard and hurting myself. Now i can run 3-5 miles at a 7.5 mph clip 3 times a week. You just need to ramp up and listen to your body.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Not sure how to start this, so here goes...

I just turned 27, 5'7", and been ~185lbs for about a year and a half... I was 145lbs when I was 20, 150lbs at 22, 160lbs at 23, 170lbs at 25, and hit 180lbs at 26... up to a 36" waist :(

I've slowly gained due to a sedentary change in employment, and personal habits... I love hikes, but don't do it very often... I like walking the dog, but just don't have the time...

We got a dog last year and I think that's had a part to play in why I've stopped gaining weight.. I've also started eating better, but my eating habits are pretty terrible by most standards...

I've been wanting to do something lately to get fit & look better.. Tried jogging in the morning with the dog, 2 or 3 times and now I just can't get up that early (out the door at 6am at the latest) so I'm not late for work...

I still go for brisk walks in the mornings, so I am definitely making progress when it comes to getting out and getting the heart rate up there...

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...Donnelly+loses+pounds+diet/6200999/story.html

That inspired me, I remember him last year and he was HUGE! This year I saw him singing and he's damn near thin! Thought for sure he had surgery... When I learned that it was just through dieting & this HGC thing, I instantly wanted to know about the HGC part... Before I could even try and figure it out I came to my senses and remembered that it's what you eat and what you do that matters most, so I learned he did the 500-calorie diet, which AFAIK is limiting all meals to 500 calories or less... So consuming under 1500/day is the limit.

So, having said that..

I want to start a diet. I just don't know how!

What are some good resources for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner ideas?

Wife isn't really interested in dieting, she hasn't really gained any weight since we first met 9 years ago... meanwhile I've gained 40lbs!

Should I keep a couple of chicken breasts in the fridge at all times? A chicken breast per day? I understand I'm going to need to eat a lot more veggies (currently eat almost none)... What about eggs? I've read have an egg in the morning, some sites say eat two per day... I LOVE eggs, should I be eating at least 1 every morning? I hard-boiled half-a-dozen tonight so I'll be enjoying at least one tomorrow morning :)

I'm open to ideas!

Last edited:

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks!

I just signed up with MyFitnessPal which seems to be a great way to track... I can count calories fine (mostly), but carbs, fat, and protein (especially protein!) just elude me...

This seems to make it easy!

I'm actually pretty excited for the different foods I may be trying, diet-wise I was pretty lacking for sure! Eating waay more than necessary was almost a daily occurance.

As far as exercise goes, I don't plan to do an hour workout 3 times a week, I can tell you that! I take the dog for hikes up the mountain many times a week, I run instead of walk at work, things like that... I'm in pretty good physical shape, really.. I just overeat.. and love beer so I consume probably a 15-case of beer per week on average...

Sep 29, 2004
Stumpy,

Some hints:

Dill Pickles: 0 calories
Cucumbers: A whole one is like 6 calories
Del Monte "no sugar added" fruit cocktail ... 140 calories for a 14.5 ounce can
Popcorn: low guilt snack. A big bowl is like 200 calories

AVOID:
Butter: 1 tablespoon is over 100 calories

Mar 22, 2002
Stumpy,

Some hints:

Dill Pickles: 0 calories
Cucumbers: A whole one is like 6 calories
Del Monte "no sugar added" fruit cocktail ... 140 calories for a 14.5 ounce can
Popcorn: low guilt snack. A big bowl is like 200 calories

AVOID:
Butter: 1 tablespoon is over 100 calories

I'll address the other posts as well, but this was the most urgent. The goal of this thread is to promote healthy living and your post does not do that. Pickles are fine occasionally, but they don't really add anything nutritionally to the diet except excess salt. If you're sensitive to salt, it could exacerbate high blood pressure. The cucumber suggestion is good. The fruit cocktail is a terrible, terrible idea even if it is low calories. Fruit juice is very much like soda in the fact it has a massive amount of fructose and sucrose in it (typically around 30g of sugar per 8oz). These have been linked with significantly increased risk of obesity, hyperlipidemia, and diabetes. Fruit has fiber in it, which slows digestion and modifies the insulin response. In addition, it's pretty filling to eat enough typical fruit to get 30g of sugar. If you're trying to lose weight, DON'T DRINK ANY OF YOUR CALORIES. Liquids have a much lesser effect on hunger and satiation. Butter is a fine thing to have in moderation. I cook my eggs every morning in it. It's ok because I use probably 1/3 of a tbsp (30cal). Is that 30cal gonna add anything significant? No. Is drinking 30-60g of sugar (roughly 120-240cal) going to? Absolutely. Don't drink fruit juice if you're 1) trying to lose weight, 2) trying to be healthy, 3) unless you're completely endurance exercise.

Mar 22, 2002
Not sure how to start this, so here goes...

I just turned 27, 5'7", and been ~185lbs for about a year and a half... I was 145lbs when I was 20, 150lbs at 22, 160lbs at 23, 170lbs at 25, and hit 180lbs at 26... up to a 36" waist :(

I've slowly gained due to a sedentary change in employment, and personal habits... I love hikes, but don't do it very often... I like walking the dog, but just don't have the time...

We got a dog last year and I think that's had a part to play in why I've stopped gaining weight.. I've also started eating better, but my eating habits are pretty terrible by most standards...

I've been wanting to do something lately to get fit & look better.. Tried jogging in the morning with the dog, 2 or 3 times and now I just can't get up that early (out the door at 6am at the latest) so I'm not late for work...

I still go for brisk walks in the mornings, so I am definitely making progress when it comes to getting out and getting the heart rate up there...

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...Donnelly+loses+pounds+diet/6200999/story.html

That inspired me, I remember him last year and he was HUGE! This year I saw him singing and he's damn near thin! Thought for sure he had surgery... When I learned that it was just through dieting & this HGC thing, I instantly wanted to know about the HGC part... Before I could even try and figure it out I came to my senses and remembered that it's what you eat and what you do that matters most, so I learned he did the 500-calorie diet, which AFAIK is limiting all meals to 500 calories or less... So consuming under 1500/day is the limit.

So, having said that..

I want to start a diet. I just don't know how!

What are some good resources for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner ideas?

Wife isn't really interested in dieting, she hasn't really gained any weight since we first met 9 years ago... meanwhile I've gained 40lbs!

Should I keep a couple of chicken breasts in the fridge at all times? A chicken breast per day? I understand I'm going to need to eat a lot more veggies (currently eat almost none)... What about eggs? I've read have an egg in the morning, some sites say eat two per day... I LOVE eggs, should I be eating at least 1 every morning? I hard-boiled half-a-dozen tonight so I'll be enjoying at least one tomorrow morning :)

I'm open to ideas!

You have to experiment and search on your own a bit. It's kind of a learning experience. I have that long list on the initial thread that shows all the foods that I (and others) could think of. You just have to be creative. Look up recipes, experiment. Change your diet, find something you like, and be consistent. Measure your calories and do resistance training. I don't know how people are missing the part on weightlifting. If you want to use this thread to the fullest, you can't just follow one part and forget the other. Granted, you'll be healthier due to the diet changes and might lose some weight, but you won't get the body you're looking for without exercise.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks for the advice!

I'm not a fan of pickles anyway, so don't worry about that ;)

I do LOVE Popcorn, I know my mom used to eat that almost every night as a snack, and she was extremely health-concious... I may have to make popcorn more often ;) With a very small amount of butter :)

One bigger question... Is eating one or two eggs per day GOOD? I'd love to eat eggs that often! I always reserved them for weekends...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2002
Thanks for the advice!

I'm not a fan of pickles anyway, so don't worry about that ;)

I do LOVE Popcorn, I know my mom used to eat that almost every night as a snack, and she was extremely health-concious... I may have to make popcorn more often ;) With a very small amount of butter :)

One bigger question... Is eating one or two eggs per day GOOD? I'd love to eat eggs that often! I always reserved them for weekends...

If you're trying to lose weight, popcorn isn't a terrible choice, but really not what you should go for. If you're serious about losing weight, you need to completely re-vamp your diet.

Eating eggs is fine, if you're part of the 70% of the population who isn't cholesterol sensitive. If you're part of the 30% who is, then don't. It's a bit difficult to find that out, but odds are in your favor.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
Biggest learning curve for me IMHO is portion control, figuring out how much a 'serving' is... First time I've ever used a measuring cup to see how much Cereal is in a serving... NOT MUCH! LOL! Two servings is one bowl for me of cheerios... Thats OK :)

I'll be using measuring cups a lot more frequently until I get the hang of how much is enough...

rga

Nov 9, 2011
Biggest learning curve for me IMHO is portion control, figuring out how much a 'serving' is... First time I've ever used a measuring cup to see how much Cereal is in a serving... NOT MUCH! LOL! Two servings is one bowl for me of cheerios... Thats OK :)

I'll be using measuring cups a lot more frequently until I get the hang of how much is enough...

A kitchen scale is a better idea. The main thing, however, is that you ARE measuring and not just eyeing it out like your whole Cheerios situation.

spamsk8r

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2001
If you're trying to lose weight, popcorn isn't a terrible choice, but really not what you should go for. If you're serious about losing weight, you need to completely re-vamp your diet.

Eating eggs is fine, if you're part of the 70% of the population who isn't cholesterol sensitive. If you're part of the 30% who is, then don't. It's a bit difficult to find that out, but odds are in your favor.

Just read this article that seems to show that even in those sensitive to cholesterol eating eggs is unlikely to increase risk of CHD.

spamsk8r

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2001

One of the first things I ever gave up when I started my own fitness journey was cereal, followed by soda and all fruit juices. Trust me, that stuff is not conducive to health. It's barely even food! Try to eat stuff that comes in it's natural state: meat, veggies, fruits. Look into the Paleo diet (I recommend Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution) if you want to get healthy and drop weight quick.

Mar 22, 2002
Just read this article that seems to show that even in those sensitive to cholesterol eating eggs is unlikely to increase risk of CHD.

I'll have to read the journal articles that are attached within. At face value, that's good info though. Eggs are a much more nutritious food than most typical breakfast options.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I need help being less of a disgusting fat body

Actually I’m not a disgusting fat body but I am overweight and I’ve figured it’s about time I do something about it as I’m not getting any younger, and seeing as my brother has lost 50 or so lbs this year I figure I can lose weight as well.

I’m currently male 31, 6ft tall and weigh 240 lbs, back in HS/college when I played 2-3 sports I sat around 190 so I figure getting down to 200 is doable and not too far fetched. I’ve read the OP and have started tracking what I eat with an ap on my phone, however I currently don’t have a kitchen (renovation) and wont for another 4-6 weeks, so it makes it quite hard to eat properly, I however try and do watch portions and try to not eat crappy foods. Ive cut out soda,juice, beer :( and all candy/snacks and the like. My BMR is 2264.8 according to whatever site I used to calculate it, the one in the sticky is broken.

I decided I wanted to get back in shape at the start of July and started jogging which ended in failure as I did the classic too much too fast and ended up with a massive stress fracture in my leg after like 3 weeks, so I’ve been told no running (have follow up in Sept). So I’ve been going to the gym and riding the stationary bike 6-7 days a week, generally the off day is mowing the lawn (push mower). Figured this was a good place to start. I do 35-45 minutes on the bike on the “fat burn” setting which just does steps of resistance up and down. It’s generally a good workout for me and not too much, I’ve been doing this for ~3 weeks and feel its time I should start doing more than just riding the bike (it also hurts my butt). I’ve actually lost about 10lbs doing the bike thing with eating better so that's good.

As my leg no longer hurts from my stress fracture, I figure I can start doing weights as talked about in the OP, I just have no idea what I should be doing, which is where I need help, they gym I go to seems to have the normal amount of free weights and machines I however am completely ignorant of routines and what I should be doing. Is this something you guys can help with or should I be looking else ware?

Mar 22, 2002
I'll fix the link in the original post soon. It needs a general revision overall anyhow.

The routines I've specified here are very simple. One is called Starting Strength, which had a full book detailing how to lift, the point behind it, etc. It makes lifting very simple and I'd suggest that if you were just getting back. I think you should buy that, read it, and start the program. If you are unsure about your form, use any sort of camera and record it (from side and from back). You can post it here on the forums and I'll critique it to help. Just watch a ton of videos, watch yourself in the mirror (early on and try to wean yourself off of it to promote body awareness), and you'll be fine.

Cstefan

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2005
Was reading over this, didn't read the whole thing but in a nutshell, I take my BMR and use that as my guideline(now it is 2300). I eat low carb high fat. I touch nothing out of the complex carbs section 90% of the time.

I do light cardio ie walking or elliptical or lazy swimming 3 days a week 30 minutes. 2 days a week I do a compound lifting session. 1 day is dedicated to deadlifts and squats. Other is bench, bent over rows. I am still too heavy for pullups and I can get 2-3 chinups out but no more so I use a pullup assist machine.

When I do this to the letter, I start dropping a lot of weight fast. Last month was 12 pounds. You can very convincingly argue I am losing muscle at this rate, and my only counter is my lifts aren't suffering, they are improving. 335 to 265 since February and no losses, just gains.

Sep 29, 2004
Anubis,

Without a kitchen, make better choices. If you have to eat out, consider subway (SC, I know its not the best) but before you go, check out the subway sandwich builder. It tells you everything about a sub based on what you put on it. I get one that is 310 cals for a small.

Do starting strength or stronglifts for weights. Skip legs till things heal. Which you do is not important. The fact that you do one is important. For running when things are better, do couch25k ... google it.

Weights .... form form form! Start light and get form down. You might feel stupid benxhing 80 pounds when you start but when you are killing it 3 months later you wont feel wierd

Mar 22, 2002
Was reading over this, didn't read the whole thing but in a nutshell, I take my BMR and use that as my guideline(now it is 2300). I eat low carb high fat. I touch nothing out of the complex carbs section 90% of the time.

I do light cardio ie walking or elliptical or lazy swimming 3 days a week 30 minutes. 2 days a week I do a compound lifting session. 1 day is dedicated to deadlifts and squats. Other is bench, bent over rows. I am still too heavy for pullups and I can get 2-3 chinups out but no more so I use a pullup assist machine.

When I do this to the letter, I start dropping a lot of weight fast. Last month was 12 pounds. You can very convincingly argue I am losing muscle at this rate, and my only counter is my lifts aren't suffering, they are improving. 335 to 265 since February and no losses, just gains.

Yeah, you know, if you're going from not thinking about diet or exercise at all onto a stable, consistent program, you're gonna change your body. At 335, losing 3lbs per week is actually reasonable. I only suggest 1-1.5lbs/week because many people on the forums don't have as much to lose. When you're bigger, you can lose more weight faster without much risk.

Good on you for challenging yourself. Low carb with strength training works well, especially for weight loss. Glad to hear you're on the right track. Keep on chuggin'.

Mar 22, 2002
Anubis,

Without a kitchen, make better choices. If you have to eat out, consider subway (SC, I know its not the best) but before you go, check out the subway sandwich builder. It tells you everything about a sub based on what you put on it. I get one that is 310 cals for a small.

Do starting strength or stronglifts for weights. Skip legs till things heal. Which you do is not important. The fact that you do one is important. For running when things are better, do couch25k ... google it.

Weights .... form form form! Start light and get form down. You might feel stupid benxhing 80 pounds when you start but when you are killing it 3 months later you wont feel wierd

Subway is not a bad option, if you have to do it. It's not the best, but even just overall calories-wise, it does less damage.

Good advice.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Subway is not a bad option, if you have to do it. It's not the best, but even just overall calories-wise, it does less damage.

Good advice.

The problem is that the calorie figures listed by Subway are quite restrictive - no cheese, no extra salt, and no sauce, as far as I remember. Adding those things makes the sub a lot worse.

Mar 22, 2002
The problem is that the calorie figures listed by Subway are quite restrictive - no cheese, no extra salt, and no sauce, as far as I remember. Adding those things makes the sub a lot worse.

If you do something like added cheese and mustard, it's still relatively low in calories. If you're getting mayo, bacon, with oil and vinegar at the end, yeah, that's not the greatest idea.

Sep 29, 2004

That's very true. no cheese versus with cheese is a big change in calories. But Subway lets you calculate all that before you even get to the store.

Go to the "calculate yours" link to see what Subway has done for everyone:
http://www.subway.com/Menu/Product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&ProductId=2&MenuId=35&MenuTypeId=1