Fat loss - how to lose the bulge and gain the ripples

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 29, 2004
In your original post, you shuold mention the couch to 5K program as a good starting point for cardio work. Once you can do a 5K, you can read more about running and doing more intensity which is beyond the couch to 5K program which is really a novice level starting point to running. I thought the idea of running mroe than 1 mile non stop was impossible. Today, about 10 weeks later I am almost at the 3 mile run! I started out having trouble jogging for 90 seconds.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Mar 22, 2002
I don't encourage cardio work for weight loss - that's why I don't have the couch to 5k program in the original thread. It increases both muscle and fat catabolism - the program I wrote encourages only fat catabolism. This thread is written for significantly heavy individuals. Running for them is a bad idea - for joints, injuries, motivation, etc. That's one of the big reasons why I don't include that suggestion.

Mar 22, 2002
Good call.

Catabloism? had to look that up. Got this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catabolism

So, care to give me the non scientific low down ;-)

EDIT: Wait, that is just the body breaking down fat and muscle to get energy?

Catabolism is the act of the body breaking materials (fat, protein, glycogen) down to produce energy. The opposite of that is anabolism, where the body utilizes incoming materials to build things up.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Any suggestions for getting more fats? Right now my diet is calling for about 125-140g of fats every day.

Right now I stuff my face full of almonds, peanut butter, 2% milk and cheddar cheese (not the healthiest cheese, I know) because all the meat I eat is pretty lean.

Frankly, it doesn't leave a lot of room for variety.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2002
Any suggestions for getting more fats? Right now my diet is calling for about 125-140g of fats every day.

Right now I stuff my face full of almonds, peanut butter, 2% milk and cheddar cheese (not the healthiest cheese, I know) because all the meat I eat is pretty lean.

Frankly, it doesn't leave a lot of room for variety.

Cook all your meats in olive oil. That typically fixes things. Remember, cook them at lower heats - if you cook them too hot, then you're actually making it unhealthy (burning makes carcinogens, fat degrades into bad things).

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Cook all your meats in olive oil. That typically fixes things. Remember, cook them at lower heats - if you cook them too hot, then you're actually making it unhealthy (burning makes carcinogens, fat degrades into bad things).

I always cook things on low heat, imho it makes things taste better.

My next question is though, how can you accurately measure how much oil is being absorbed into the food, alot of it usually ends up dripping into the bbq.

Mar 22, 2002
I always cook things on low heat, imho it makes things taste better.

My next question is though, how can you accurately measure how much oil is being absorbed into the food, alot of it usually ends up dripping into the bbq.

I always just assume the whole amount I put in will be absorbed by the meat. If it's significantly different, you can measure that left over oil and subtract. Honestly, it's not something you've gotta be too strict on, unless you're overusing the oil.

Exodist

Dec 1, 2009
I don't encourage cardio work for weight loss - that's why I don't have the couch to 5k program in the original thread. It increases both muscle and fat catabolism - the program I wrote encourages only fat catabolism. This thread is written for significantly heavy individuals. Running for them is a bad idea - for joints, injuries, motivation, etc. That's one of the big reasons why I don't include that suggestion.
This is very very true. When I was in the military we mostly lifted weights even though a normal workout would consist of running for 30mins to a hour. Mind you back then I was 170 punds, 5'6" and was benching 3sets of 5x 225lbs reps. Plus a hour of running on a tread mill barely broke a sweat. 5 years later, 8mins on a tread mill is a living hell since I put on so much weight due to asthma and high altitude sickness. Since I am now back home, a hard cardio work out can easily damage my joints or cause a heart attack. Its easier to spend 8 mins on a elliptical to get the blood flowing and work some leg muscles. Plus elliptical is easier on the joints for many folks. But I even had to start out at 3mins, then 5 mins and finally up to 8 mins these past six weeks. My diet really hasnt changed, but from doing that and lifting weights I have lost 15 pounds and my breathing is steadily improving. I am also using a dumbbell-bench, for me it saves space and feels like I get a better work out when lifting. I will never go back to a regular bench again.

Exodist

Dec 1, 2009
I always just assume the whole amount I put in will be absorbed by the meat. If it's significantly different, you can measure that left over oil and subtract. Honestly, it's not something you've gotta be too strict on, unless you're overusing the oil.
Speaking of oil, I have been spending little extra and using Extra Lite Olive Oil for baking. How much more of a benefit is this over cheaper Vegetable oil?

Mar 22, 2002
Speaking of oil, I have been spending little extra and using Extra Lite Olive Oil for baking. How much more of a benefit is this over cheaper Vegetable oil?

The extra lite olive oil is not specifically any extra benefit over other olive oils. For cooking, you don't really want to use extra virgin olive oil because it has a lower smoke point so it burns easier. I only use olive oil to cook things in. Vegetable oil is terrible for you. The proportion of polyunsaturated fats to monounsaturated fats is very high. On top of that, they're typically much more processed (think - how much oil does a soybean have compared to a green olive)?

Exodist

Dec 1, 2009
The extra lite olive oil is not specifically any extra benefit over other olive oils. For cooking, you don't really want to use extra virgin olive oil because it has a lower smoke point so it burns easier. I only use olive oil to cook things in. Vegetable oil is terrible for you. The proportion of polyunsaturated fats to monounsaturated fats is very high. On top of that, they're typically much more processed (think - how much oil does a soybean have compared to a green olive)?
Gotcha, thanks for the info. :)

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I am renewing my diet efforts and focusing first on getting, at minimum, 1 g of protein per pound of body weight. I'm trying to keep the diet as varied as possible, so at the store I'm buying london broils, turkey and chicken breasts, egg whites, whey protein, and cottage cheese. One thing I'd like to add is fish, so I bought 3 big (~8 oz.) tuna steaks the last time I was at the store. I love the flavor of a nicely grilled tuna steak, but I'm a little worried about mercury. Is that too much tuna to eat on a daily basis? What high-protein, low-fat seafoods would be a good substitute? scallops and shrimp?

Mar 22, 2002
I'm not exactly sure about the mercury content of tuna steaks. I only eat it once ever two weeks or so. Good fish to eat are smaller fish - sardines, anchovies, etc. Larger fish tend to contain more mercury because they eat so many smaller fish that it begins to concentrate within them. Also, stream fish are probably better than salt water fish - salmon would be a good thing to eat. Other than that, you should definitely search online about what foods you're interested in and find out their heavy metal content.

Exodist

Dec 1, 2009
Here is a FDA link. I catch a lot of bass and bream normally during the summer so I had a look at this earlier in the year out of curiosity.

I also eat A LOT of Tillapia which is low in merc and can be easily purchased at walmart and other food store in 6oz ready frozen filets.

FDA LINK

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2002
I know that farm-raised tilapia are notoriously low in omega-3 fatty acids and high in omega-6 fatty acids (exactly the opposite proportion you want from fish). It may be worth it to look into if that tilapia is farm raised or wild caught.

Thanks for the FDA btw :)

Exodist

Dec 1, 2009
I know that farm-raised tilapia are notoriously low in omega-3 fatty acids and high in omega-6 fatty acids (exactly the opposite proportion you want from fish). It may be worth it to look into if that tilapia is farm raised or wild caught.

Thanks for the FDA btw :)
Its Sea Best, which is farm raised in China. So there isnt any telling.. lol
The label doesnt say.

EDIT:
Sadly its the best I can do around here at the moment. Living in my current area of North Mississippi has it limitations. Deer season is coming soon tho.. :)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2002
Its Sea Best, which is farm raised in China. So there isnt any telling.. lol
The label doesnt say.

EDIT:
Sadly its the best I can do around here at the moment. Living in my current area of North Mississippi has it limitations. Deer season is coming soon tho.. :)

Mmmmm, venison. Ship me some :p Here in southern CA, there's no option for some delicious wild-caught game.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Had some scallops last night, from what I can tell looking around, they should be pretty low in mercury.

I was already aware of the tilapia thing with the wrong kind of fat, but since the fat content is so low anyway, does it really matter?

Mar 22, 2002
Had some scallops last night, from what I can tell looking around, they should be pretty low in mercury.

I was already aware of the tilapia thing with the wrong kind of fat, but since the fat content is so low anyway, does it really matter?

Well, it depends. People eat fish because it's good for you, but this fish isn't exactly such. It's a lean protein, but the fats that typically make fish such a good option are gone. It's typically pretty easy to find a different store within a given area with wild caught stuff, whether it's tilapia or not. Salmon, sometimes, gets pretty cheap.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Well, it depends. People eat fish because it's good for you, but this fish isn't exactly such. It's a lean protein, but the fats that typically make fish such a good option are gone. It's typically pretty easy to find a different store within a given area with wild caught stuff, whether it's tilapia or not. Salmon, sometimes, gets pretty cheap.

The store I go to does have wild stuff, in fact everything is labelled "wild" or "farmed". Problem is that the wild stuff is almost twice as expensive :\

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, the 2nd time I did the Eleven Day Diet I lost 7 pounds, so it does work, and fairly consistently. BUT, its tough. Not the plan. The plan is ridiculously simple. Its following it and not cheating.
To save you guys from spending the 50 bucks I could show you the list of foods and how to make the recommended meals, reminding you that while it worked for me it may not work for everyone. Also its not for Olympians training to climb mount Everest so dont piss and moan that it isnt the perfect diet for everyone, cuz thats just stupid.

Anyone care to see?

Mar 22, 2002
OK, the 2nd time I did the Eleven Day Diet I lost 7 pounds, so it does work, and fairly consistently. BUT, its tough. Not the plan. The plan is ridiculously simple. Its following it and not cheating.
To save you guys from spending the 50 bucks I could show you the list of foods and how to make the recommended meals, reminding you that while it worked for me it may not work for everyone. Also its not for Olympians training to climb mount Everest so dont piss and moan that it isnt the perfect diet for everyone, cuz thats just stupid.

Anyone care to see?

Eh, that's not really appropriate to post in the fat loss sticky. This thread is dedicated to long-term, sustainable weightloss. What you're talking about is a purge diet, which is not what I'm going for at all. If you want to make a separate thread about it, then go ahead, but losing 7 pounds in 10 days... it's clearly not fat. It's mostly water weight.