Farewell Comcast

JAH

Mar 4, 2005
Been a loyal customer of Comcast for over a decade (television and cable internet), so I didn?t mind the high prices. However, their handling of a problem (their On-Demand services fail me 99% of the time) was so inept that I decided it was time to move on.

For television, I got Dish Network with similar channels and set-up and it cost me $50/month for 10 months and $70 thereafter (vs. $93/month from Comcast).

Originally, I was just going to cancel the TV service and kept the internet because it has been rock stable. I don?t think Comcast internet went down once in the last two years. However, when I canceled the TV service, they decided to jack up the internet price from $45 to $60 and lower my speed from 6Mbps to 4Mbps.

There was no way in hell I was going to pay $60 for internet access, so I contact AT&T and got their DSL service (6Mbps) for $35/month. I don?t expect it to be rock stable as cable internet, but for nearly half the price, I don?t care!

I?ll be saving over $600 for the next year on television and internet. Wish I had seen the light sooner.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Man I had nothing but issues with Dish and ATT. I welcomed Comcast into my home for steady stable performance.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I can't wait for the day Verizon has FIOS in my neighborhood...soon hopefully...people have it about a mile from me.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Toasthead
Man I had nothing but issues with Dish and ATT. I welcomed Comcast into my home for steady stable performance.

Short of getting AT&T and my apartment management to work together and see why my phone line didnt work after moving in I havnt had an issue with them. My internet has dropped once or twice but it was the wireless router than needed to be reset (then all was well).

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I had direct tv, then we got comcast, and we just recently upgraded to Verizon FIOS tv, and internet.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: JAH
Been a loyal customer of Comcast for over a decade (television and cable internet), so I didn?t mind the high prices. However, their handling of a problem (their On-Demand services fail me 99% of the time) was so inept that I decided it was time to move on.

For television, I got Dish Network with similar channels and set-up and it cost me $50/month for 10 months and $70 thereafter (vs. $93/month from Comcast).

Originally, I was just going to cancel the TV service and kept the internet because it has been rock stable. I don?t think Comcast internet went down once in the last two years. However, when I canceled the TV service, they decided to jack up the internet price from $45 to $60 and lower my speed from 6Mbps to 4Mbps.

There was no way in hell I was going to pay $60 for internet access, so I contact AT&T and got their DSL service (6Mbps) for $35/month. I don?t expect it to be rock stable as cable internet, but for nearly half the price, I don?t care!

I?ll be saving over $600 for the next year on television and internet. Wish I had seen the light sooner.

Nice that you have a choice. Most do not.

As for cable having more of an up time than DSL, good luck with that.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
I just got rid of Cox and it was a great day. Almost as good as fios install day

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Yeah, I wish FIOS was in my area. They did an install in my town, but since my road has underground utilities, it'll probably never happen in my neck of the woods. I'm stick with Comcast.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
good job getting rid of comcast, i hate those asshats. too bad you brought on another headache that is dish network :(

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i have been with dish network for 9 almost 10 years and have had ZERO problems.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..I got rid of em years ago. They didn't care so I didn't care. And guess what?? They still don't care.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I have DSL through ATT (3MB down, 768k up), and the only downtime I ever have is their scheduled maintenance which usually happens around 2am where I live. I have a UPS hooked up so that I can have internet even when the power goes out... I have cable through Comcast, which works fine including the on-demand. I can't do dish because of the orientation of my apartment, but cable is working fine so I'm happy.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I've been with both AT&T and Dish for the past 5+ years and have never had an issue.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

I also had the same issues....
I switched everything to ATT/Yahoo and have paid for there top teir service and have never looked back!!

Only one thing wrong is they sometimes pull maintenance at 1 or 2 am without letting you know the system will be down for a few hrs!!

Peace!! You will enjoy!!!

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
does Boston have fios available?

plug in your number: http://www22.verizon.com/content/ConsumerFios

I just found out 9/29 FIOS will become available here. Fricken finally... after 2 years of seeing neighboring towns (literally blocks away) enjoy the service. It's not even so much the fact that I'll have ludicrous-speed internet, it's the fact that I won't lose internet when rain hits. You have no idea how frustrating it is... err.. was.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I'll be keeping the tv, but will probably be moving to DSL Lite in the next couple of weeks(to save some $'s /mo.).

Chiboy

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2002
I wish I could get Verizon, I recently moved & cant even get DSL here. I ended up getting the Triple play deal, cant complain but I do wish I had more options.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

woah.. i pay $14.95/month for 768/128 DSL.

i canceled TV a LONG time ago when i realized i was channel surfing 300+ channels most of the time. and the channel i watched most was CNN's Headline News.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I wish I could get AT&T or some other DSL here. If I could you better believe Comcast would be getting the boot.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
However, when I canceled the TV service, they decided to jack up the internet price from $45 to $60 and lower my speed from 6Mbps to 4Mbps.
Companies will sometimes throw in a price break if you take a "package deal" on two services, so cancelling one would explain jacking the price up on your internets. No idea about why they lowered the speed though.

Feb 10, 2000
Comcast seems to steadily boost my price every month. My neighborhood will have municipal wireless by the end of the year, so I may just move to that and a dish once it's up and running. Sadly no FIOS is available here, and I imagine DSL wouldn't be cheap for me since I have no home phone service (plus I really haven't liked it when I've used it in the past).