Farewell Comcast

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Modeps
I recently switched to Comcast for phone, internet, and tv (before just had for tv and internet). Runs me about $150 with taxes vs $180+long distance charges. Saved me money, service is quite good... I really cant complain about them at all.

Come back to us in a year or so when you've experienced how Craptastic they are.

I cancelled their TV service back in March and they continued to charge me up until June! I kept calling to have them fix it, and they kept saying "ok we'll fix your bill". Then the next month i'd be another $150 more! Finally it got up to $1013 dollars (I refused to pay it, but I did send payments for what would have been cable only). They cut my service off and then said I was losing my email address that I had since 1997 (when it was @Home - far superior to crapcast).

So finally I had it out with a supervisor for the 5-6 time? and they credit my account.

So in July I get my bill, there's a 9.99 install charge! I was like WTF I didn't install anything, I downgraded service. So they said, ok we'll credit it. Got my August bill, ANOTHER 9.99 install charge! Called and got a guy who said he had no reason why two months in a row they would charge me an install charge. Credit my account back. It'll be intersting to see my Sep bill!

We won't even get into the fact that they overloaded my node and I was downloading at speeds around 56k for 3 months. I had 7-8 tech's out to the house and they basically just didn't care until I started threatening to go to the homeowners assoc. meeting and advise everyone to run bandwidth test on their computers during peak times :)

There's a REASON why the are rated the #1 worst customer service company.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
FWIW, I've had ATT (formerly SBC) DSL for 4 years with only one outage I can remember, and that was between 12am and 2am, and the speeds are always rock solid.
I'm very happy with it.

:thumbsup:

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Casawi
You get what you pay for.

I find it's the opposite :p by all accounts, fios is better and cheaper

absolutely not. it's about the same comparatively speaking. and with taxes, it's more.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: Modeps
I recently switched to Comcast for phone, internet, and tv (before just had for tv and internet). Runs me about $150 with taxes vs $180+long distance charges. Saved me money, service is quite good... I really cant complain about them at all.

Come back to us in a year or so when you've experienced how Craptastic they are.

I cancelled their TV service back in March and they continued to charge me up until June! I kept calling to have them fix it, and they kept saying "ok we'll fix your bill". Then the next month i'd be another $150 more! Finally it got up to $1013 dollars (I refused to pay it, but I did send payments for what would have been cable only). They cut my service off and then said I was losing my email address that I had since 1997 (when it was @Home - far superior to crapcast).

So finally I had it out with a supervisor for the 5-6 time? and they credit my account.

So in July I get my bill, there's a 9.99 install charge! I was like WTF I didn't install anything, I downgraded service. So they said, ok we'll credit it. Got my August bill, ANOTHER 9.99 install charge! Called and got a guy who said he had no reason why two months in a row they would charge me an install charge. Credit my account back. It'll be intersting to see my Sep bill!

We won't even get into the fact that they overloaded my node and I was downloading at speeds around 56k for 3 months. I had 7-8 tech's out to the house and they basically just didn't care until I started threatening to go to the homeowners assoc. meeting and advise everyone to run bandwidth test on their computers during peak times :)

There's a REASON why the are rated the #1 worst customer service company.

Customer Service... It's Comcastic! :)

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Yea, Comcast support was abysmal for me. All the reps were unhelpful and just passed the buck to another dept. Lots of being on hold. And finally being told it would take a WEEK for someone to come out and fix my internet access when it finally died for good instead of just cutting out during the middle of the day and coming back later. There were plenty of other problems before that too, like charging me to lease a modem I had returned to them.

I dropped all of their services. Sadly DSL costs like $65 since I have to pay for the stupid phone line cost too. At least it's reliable.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
although comcast has been fairly good for me, i would LOVE to have fios come in our area (chicago).

btw, does anyone know when fios will come to chicago?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I was part of the lose the dish program when I moved...works out to a 2year break even point. However; I would not have switched had AT&T/Bellsouth been able to provide me with better than 1.5Mbps service that was reliable.

I am running 6Mbps with speed boost or whatever I hit 18Mbps today. The Dish TV was better IMHO as it was all digital, the lower cable channels are analog and snowy compared to dish. Dish did suffer here with the Florida storms though.