Fairness Doctrine...........merely Censorship what do you think?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
That "fairness doctrine" is totally against free speech.

If one radio station wants right-wing talk, so be it.

If another wants left-wing talk, so be it.

This is yet just another attempt at censorship :thumbsdown:

The key word is "wants" sparky.

There is no choice with Corporations such as your beloved Republican Murdock controlling the purse strings.

I'm sure you get your paycheck from him.

That is not "Free Speech".

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

There is no choice with Corporations such as your beloved Republican Murdock controlling the purse strings.

So are you saying that no radio stations want right-wing based material, everyone wants to be liberal left? Sure :roll:

And no, I don't get any paycheck from this Murdock guy. I'm an intern at a power generation company.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

So are you saying that no radio stations want right-wing based material, everyone wants to be liberal left? Sure :roll:

And no, I don't get any paycheck from this Murdock guy. I'm an intern at a power generation company.

Obviously this guy doesn't know what free speech is. He seems to think that government telling you what you can and cannot put on the air is freedom, but corporations deciding for themselves what is most profitable is fascism. /boggle

P.S. -- what power company do you work for? Or just tell me what region, I might be in the next cube over as far as we know :)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Ah

There you go. You and your job profit directly from the Republican because electric was "deregulated" by your hero Bush.

Look what it has gotten us. Of course you feel it benefited us, no it did not, it only benefits Corporate heads. Of course you personally benefit because you know someone that has brought you onboard.

You are a Republican corporate shill, nothing more, nothing less.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

Ah

There you go. You and your job profit directly from the Republican because electric was "deregulated" by your hero Bush.

Look what it has gotten us. Of course you feel it benefited us, no it did not, it only benefits Corporate heads. Of course you personally benefit because you know someone that has brought you onboard.

Hey buddy,

a) electricity is still regulated in most places.

b) What the hell does this have to do with the Fairness Doctrine?

c) If you think an intern at a power company, for whom all you know could be a mechanical engineer working pumps and motors, is akin to a corporate shill, you're beyond all hope of sanity.

d) dailykos is <-------- that way.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002

Ah

...................wow.
:roll:

QuantumPion, I'm working at First Energy, in Ohio. Network Engineering.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I'm working at First Energy, in Ohio. Network Engineering.

Sadly I am paying for your salary.

Electric is deregulated here in New Jersey so my check goes to First Energy.

Um electricity isn't free. Your check would be going to the power company regardless of whether it is regulated or not. TANSTAAFL.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: QuantumPion

Um electricity isn't free. Your check would be going to the power company regardless of whether it is regulated or not. TANSTAAFL.

Ah yes but much more expensive deregulated Mr paid shill.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002

I don't know about your area but there are places that are still paying 1990's prices for today's electricity. Obviously costs have risen on the O&M side since then. The increase is long overdue.

And yes, the increase affects me as well. We pay the same rates as the rest of everybody else, it doesn't matter that we work for a power company or not.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

Moonbeam?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Hmm, the right-wing conspiracy theory about the fairness doctrine doesn't seem internally consistent. According to right-wing folk lore, the media is hugely liberally biased. Also according to the right-wing theory, the liberal Democrats support the Fairness Doctrine to influence the media to be liberal. Even though the media is supposedly already liberal enough to make it obvious to everyone. Why bother with a law?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Rain, the fairness doctrine is aimed mainly at commentary. The MSM hides behind the idea that it provides 'news' and thus has freedom of the press.

I suppose if the fairness doctrine Rush could claim that his show is a news show and is thus protected via freedom of the press.

Honestly, I don't think the fairness doctrine will stand up to a court challenge. It is far to difficult to manage and allows for way to much personal leeway and opinion.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Rain, the fairness doctrine is aimed mainly at commentary. The MSM hides behind the idea that it provides 'news' and thus has freedom of the press.

I suppose if the fairness doctrine Rush could claim that his show is a news show and is thus protected via freedom of the press.

PROPAGANDA != News

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It's stupid unless it's completely altered, in which case it would be called something else because as is it's bunk. And Obama doesn't support it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Honestly, I don't think the fairness doctrine will stand up to a court challenge. It is far to difficult to manage and allows for way to much personal leeway and opinion.

THE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE IS NOT COMING BACK NO MATTER HOW MUCH RUSH AND SEAN HANNITY TELL YOU THAT IT IS. FIND SOMETHING NEW TO BE PARANOID ABOUT.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: eskimospy

THE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE IS NOT COMING BACK NO MATTER HOW MUCH RUSH AND SEAN HANNITY TELL YOU THAT IT IS. FIND SOMETHING NEW TO BE PARANOID ABOUT.

Actually something may be done with them.

I've started a campaign against them.