Fairness Doctrine...........merely Censorship what do you think?

Rustler

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
http://thehill.com/leading-the...lanced-2008-11-04.html

Here comes the fairness doctrine if the Dems win super majorities in the house and senate they will want to control all aspects of the media which is predominately liberal........................

YOU WILL DO AS YOU ARE TOLD UNTIL THE RIGHTS TO YOU ARE SOLD..........THATS RIGHT FOLKS DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL..........................

Elias824

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2007
the fairness doctrine is insane, though its not really censorship. There has to be equal time given to all side of the argument, although you could still argue about whatever you want. Really its all just a ploy to silence the predominantly controlled conservative talk radio

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Elias824
the fairness doctrine is insane, though its not really censorship. There has to be equal time given to all side of the argument, although you could still argue about whatever you want. Really its all just a ploy to silence the predominantly controlled conservative talk radio

Yep. Keith Olbermann will continue to spew his bullshit.

The idea is to silence anything that resembles conservative material while letting the rest of the liberal media fly under the radar.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
If it is a creation of government, then it is safe to assume the fairness doctrine is unfair.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
If the democrats get a super majority the fairness doctrine might be the first bill Obama signs into law. This has been the dream of democrats for a long time to shut down talk radio. If they get the chance they will kill talk radio to ensure all media but fox news is liberal. Then I am sure they will find a way to get fox news off the air to kill all voices of opposition.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
What is the deal with certain posters here and the misuse of ellipses? I know it has to be coincidental, but it's really strange how their political ideologies and posting styles correlate.

Sorry for the tangent, just something I've noticed recently and thought was bizarre.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: quest55720
If the democrats get a super majority the fairness doctrine might be the first bill Obama signs into law. This has been the dream of democrats for a long time to shut down talk radio. If they get the chance they will kill talk radio to ensure all media but fox news is liberal. Then I am sure they will find a way to get fox news off the air to kill all voices of opposition.

you're a big rush and hannity fan ain't ya?

you guys are gonna have a long 4 years if this is the sort of thing you are going to spend your time attacking. I think obama and the dems might be a little busier with the economy, the war, healthcare and applying tape to the shredded constitution. not to mention that obama said he was against it, but whatever.

and really, the first bill he signs into law? the first bill the first black president signs into law is going to be on....the fairness doctrine. your powers of prognostication rival pre-war neocons on our reception in iraq.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Would have to see specific proposal, but leaning against government mandated "fairness."
On the other hand, talk radio and Fox were largely responsible for the disaster of last 8 years by creating an alternative reality (where Iraq had WMD's, etc) for large segments of population who trusted them, thus helping shape public opinon and policy. But I think that credibility is largely gone, and talk radio is largely a medium for conservatives to vent their anger and whine, in process turning people away from their cause.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Would have to see specific proposal, but leaning against government mandated "fairness."
On the other hand, talk radio and Fox were largely responsible for the disaster of last 8 years by creating an alternative reality (where Iraq had WMD's, etc) for large segments of population who trusted them, thus helping shape public opinon and policy. But I think that credibility is largely gone, and talk radio is largely a medium for conservatives to vent their anger and whine, in process turning people away from their cause.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

:laugh:
I suppose all the conservative radio you listen to is what causes you to actually believe any of the above. If "liberals" already control all the main media outlets, what do they care what a bunch of fringe loonies listen to?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
FUD. This issue is basically a bogeyman to get talk radio wingnuts to continue toeing the Republican party line, by convincing them that all the Dems are far left liberals, when in fact the only reason the Democratic party is gaining in power is because it is acquiring moderates and independents who have been disenfranchised by the Republican party's swing to the far right. The idea of coalition parties seems to be lost on too many people. There's a lot of "blue dog" conservative Dems in Congress, talk radio is controlled by some very powerful corporate interests, all who would fight this tooth-and-nail. Fox News is owned by the world's largest media corporation FFS. Clear Channel owns or controls much of the radio stations and their programming in this country, including Rush Limbuagh.
It's not gonna happen. Nor is it a priority. But, there will be some legitimate concern about the slanderous hate speech coming out of talk radio from both sides, and I do believe that will have to be addressed in some way, as much of it is the media equivalent of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The air waves belong to the people. No corporation should be able to monopolize them. Anybody who wants to jam their broadcasts should be as free to do so and anybody broadcasting on them.

The media should be paid for by the government and the content strictly regulated by independent bodies who should be free to reasonable use. No one crack pot should have a huge voice, but none should be totally shut out either. All information should be presented with multiple input, at least like Handleshimself and Brush, as well as greens libertarians etc. Most people have never heard opinions that differ much from their own and not the least of reasons is that they are deaf to them.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I think the fairness doctrine and card checking could be two important issues to see if Obama is going to stand up to the house/senate dems or not.

I guess we'll see if Pelosi tries to push them through.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
The Fairness Doctrine is a load of crap. Who cares if Rush and Co. are blowhard idiots so long as there are people to counter their FUD?

Rustler

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
Not a scare tactic............It is just intresting on the eve of an election that Chucky Shummer is bringing this up again...................

I am wary of any party REP or Dem that wants to stife free speech in any way.........................

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The air waves belong to the people. No corporation should be able to monopolize them. Anybody who wants to jam their broadcasts should be as free to do so and anybody broadcasting on them.

The media should be paid for by the government and the content strictly regulated by independent bodies who should be free to reasonable use. No one crack pot should have a huge voice, but none should be totally shut out either. All information should be presented with multiple input, at least like Handleshimself and Brush, as well as greens libertarians etc. Most people have never heard opinions that differ much from their own and not the least of reasons is that they are deaf to them.

Sarcasm meter is about to explode

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
For like the 30th time, Obama has specifically come out and said that he does not support the fairness doctrine. Nor do significant numbers of congressional Democrats.

As many others have said, this isn't going to happen. All people are doing is parroting something they heard on the radio or wherever.

As for winnar's amazing prediction, I'll make a bet with you that not only is it not the first bill Obama signs, but that he doesn't sign it any time in his first 6 months. How's $100 sound? (I don't believe Obama would ever sign that bill without some really weird extenuating circumstances, but I want to get paid sometime.)

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Culture, of which the media is a part of, belongs to the people. What you propose is a Canadian or European-style stagnation of culture with very little cultural output and lack of evolution.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
For like the 30th time, Obama has specifically come out and said that he does not support the fairness doctrine. Nor do significant numbers of congressional Democrats.

As many others have said, this isn't going to happen. All people are doing is parroting something they heard on the radio or wherever.

As for winnar's amazing prediction, I'll make a bet with you that not only is it not the first bill Obama signs, but that he doesn't sign it any time in his first 6 months. How's $100 sound? (I don't believe Obama would ever sign that bill without some really weird extenuating circumstances, but I want to get paid sometime.)

Shens, you just want to go double or nothing every six months ;)

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
First of all, my understanding of the fairness doctrine is that public broadcast media outlets must make available equal time to both sides (republican and democratic I assume) What is the argument against that? I'm not sure I understand how being mandated to present all sides of an argument leads to the death of right wing radio? Wont it just mean that in addition to what they're already saying, they must also include a counter argument? In other words, they wont be limited in what they can say, only that they must add something else to it.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
First of all, my understanding of the fairness doctrine is that public broadcast media outlets must make available equal time to both sides (republican and democratic I assume) What is the argument against that? I'm not sure I understand how being mandated to present all sides of an argument leads to the death of right wing radio? Wont it just mean that in addition to what they're already saying, they must also include a counter argument? In other words, they wont be limited in what they can say, only that they must add something else to it.

Inherent in the freedom of speech is the freedom NOT to speak. The gov't shouldn't be mandating how we argue.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk

The argument goes that the stations carrying the right wing shows have to have opposing viewpoint shows which are unprofitable and end up losing the station money, so they have to change formats or shut down.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: jonks

you're a big rush and hannity fan ain't ya?

you guys are gonna have a long 4 years if this is the sort of thing you are going to spend your time attacking. I think obama and the dems might be a little busier with the economy, the war, healthcare and applying tape to the shredded constitution. not to mention that obama said he was against it, but whatever.

and really, the first bill he signs into law? the first bill the first black president signs into law is going to be on....the fairness doctrine. your powers of prognostication rival pre-war neocons on our reception in iraq.

He also said he was for the DC gun ban, remember? Then he changed his mind. :roll:

Obama has never stood up to Pelosi and company.