F@H GPU crunchers - what temps do you get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Oh, I have an MGC as well... at least it's got 6 ;)

My Midget has a Nissan A15 engine, more power than it can handle really.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Ah ok ,I'd like to install the GUI client so I could at least occasional glance at the pretty pictures ;)

Markfw900
Are the dual core rigs as per your sig?
How long have you been running the GPU clients?
(nice car btw:cool: )

Yup ! except the E4300 is on a crappy motherboard now, and for sale in a system I am trying to dump, along with the dual opteron 248's and when I can the other X2's...

I ran the GPU clients for 6 months or so on 4 rigs(All X1900XTs, 3 512 meg, and one 256 meg). Gave me some nice numbers, but 2 Q6600's beat the 4 GPU machines in total PPD, and way less heat and noise, so they are now off. Just sitting waiting for Q6600's as money allows. All the other components are there and ready ! (plus they stand in as LAN party extra machines when we have them)

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
Assimilator1

Received the PowerCooler 1950pro 512mb card yesterday & installed into pc.

Temp reported under ATI is 43c

Card is currently NOT overclocked.

The 2 F@H workfiles should complete within a day - already have deactivated running as a service - when done will not d/l any more workfiles until I install F@H's GPU program.

BTW, below is the skinny of the build this gpu is taking up space in! (PC is ONLY used for crunching - no games or other productive s/w)

- Generic (? - its that old!) ATX Midtower case with 80mm fans front, aft & topside
- 430w Antec TrueBlue psu
- CD/DVD burner: Plextor PX716A
- Floppy drive
- Harddrive: Seagate 80GB sata drive
- Memory: Ballistic 6400 (2 512mb sticks)
- O/S: WinXP Home Edition
- No speakers/sound card attached
- No printer attached
- Mainboard: ASRock AM2 NF6G-VSTA
- Processor: AMD am2 X2 3600 Bainbrige (O/C'ing at 2.382Ghz)
- Processor Cooler: Zalman's 9700
- Temps: Processor~ 33.5c @ 2481rpm
------------Mainboard~35c
------------Hard Drive~36c
------------Power Supply Unit~33.5c

:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:Temps in NYC lately: 90's F

(All info compiled via CPUz and another utility)

In a couple of days after effecting GPU crunching change will post an update :)

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
Assimilator1

Received the PowerCooler 1950pro 512mb card yesterday & installed into pc.

Temp reported under ATI is 43c

Card is currently NOT overclocked.

The 2 F@H workfiles should complete within a day - already have deactivated running as a service - when done will not d/l any more workfiles until I install F@H's GPU program.

BTW, below is the skinny of the build this gpu is taking up space in! (PC is ONLY used for crunching - no games or other productive s/w)

- Generic (? - its that old!) ATX Midtower case with 80mm fans front, aft & topside
- 430w Antec TrueBlue psu
- CD/DVD burner: Plextor PX716A
- Floppy drive
- Harddrive: Seagate 80GB sata drive
- Memory: Ballistic 6400 (2 512mb sticks)
- O/S: WinXP Home Edition
- No speakers/sound card attached
- No printer attached
- Mainboard: ASRock AM2 NF6G-VSTA
- Processor: AMD am2 X2 3600 Bainbrige (O/C'ing at 2.382Ghz)
- Processor Cooler: Zalman's 9700
- Temps: Processor~ 33.5c @ 2481rpm
------------Mainboard~35c
------------Hard Drive~36c
------------Power Supply Unit~33.5c

Temps in NYC lately: 90's F

(All info compiled via CPUz and another utility)

GPU running F@H for about 6 hours now
- Ran into 2 missteps:
----------Needed latest dx 9.03c files
----------The 6.12 drivers which came with drive not compatible with beta program - F@H would start but immediatly close (running Window's Console GPU Edition) and post to site & retrieve another work unit and repeat again! D/L'ed Catalyst Version 7.7 and after reboot the GPU and F@H worked like a charm.
- GPU temp is showing 61c
- Will let run for about a week or two before trying to O/C card
- At same Processor fan speed CPU temp is now 43c
- Mainboard temp is now 40c
- Power Supply unit is now 42.5c

BTW, the other s/w that is reporting stats is PC Wizard 2007

Turtleblue

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Thanks for the info TB ,seems like your GPU is running pretty cool at 60C :) ,mine hits ~70C when playing Guild Wars.I'll let you know what it hits running F@H.

Btw what % CPU power is the GPU client taking?

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
Assimilator1,

Thanks for the info TB ,seems like your GPU is running pretty cool at 60C ,mine hits ~70C when playing Guild Wars.I'll let you know what it hits running F@H.

Btw what % CPU power is the GPU client taking?

I switched off the other F@H cpu run and I get 50~55% CPU usage reported by Window's Task Manager (on Both CPU's). When both the cpu & the gpu are running F@H it is taking about 8 min 30 sec to process a segment under gpu processing. When the F@H for the cpu is off the gpu's segment completion time dropped down to 8 min 05 sec - guess my next build I'll need a faster duo core processer! In about a week's time I will start to o/c the GPU & will post what results I'll get from this push.

The temps are running about 3 degrees c cooler from the last post (The GPU card is 1 degree cooler) - A/C is finally putting a dent in the apartment's heat. Thank god that the electricity is included in my co-op's monthly maintenance charge at a fixed amount otherwize I would not be running 3 boxes (for now-hehe-have one open port left on my Raritan Switchman KVM so I have a bid on ebay for an Antec 180b case now to start on my next build - can't deside if it will be another cheap AMD build or try for Intel's 6600 quad - this will be a SLOW build as finances allows).

Turtleblue

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
If my calculations are correct:

8 min 30 sec = 560 ppd

8 min 05 sec = 588 ppd

What kind of ppd did you average running two regular clients?

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
GLeeM

If my calculations are correct:

8 min 30 sec = 560 ppd

8 min 05 sec = 588 ppd

What kind of ppd did you average running two regular clients?

On the 1.9 AMD duo-core Brisbane (o/c to over 2.3ghz) was getting a little above 200 ppd - not exactly sure since I have 3 other boxes crunching away 24/7 (3.06ghz p4, 2.4ghz (o/c to 2.520ghz), and at work a P3 1.0ghz) so my pre-gpu cruncher was getting about 417 ppd. Just posted 500 points yesterday and another 500 today (the gpu, after 2 units, is taking around 14 hours to complete a unit).

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
Strange...my last 2 gpu completed units (#2 & #3) have not posted their points as the cpu crunches have already posted 206 points x2 in the last 24 hours. GPU unit #3 finished about 7 hours ago. On F@H web site Unit 2742 (#2) and Unit 2741 (#3) are listed for 330 points each. Is there this much of a delay in registering points from the gpu runs?

Iron Chef

Jan 1, 2006
The server seems to be working. I had a gpu WU upload and get credited today.

Check the gpu FAHlog.txt to see if the gpu client was able to connect to the server or if the WUs are waiting in the queue.

When you set up the gpu client, did you change the user name and team number from default? Did you change the Machine ID to something different than what is being used for the cpu client?

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004

Check the gpu FAHlog.txt to see if the gpu client was able to connect to the server or if the WUs are waiting in the queue.

When you set up the gpu client, did you change the user name and team number from default? Did you change the Machine ID to something different than what is being used for the cpu client?

CRAP!!! I just checked the cfg client user file and my intel is not listed! I swear, I thought I entered TurtleBlue for name & 198 for Team Anandtech - DOUBLE CRAP!!!

Thank god I caught this at segment 97 before it sent another score to "Anonymous" What a maroon I am - I should be drummed out of da team!

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004

CRAP!!! I just checked the cfg client user file and my intel is not listed! I swear, I thought I entered TurtleBlue for name & 198 for Team Anandtech - DOUBLE CRAP!!!

Thank god I caught this at segment 97 before it sent another score to "Anonymous" What a maroon I am - I should be drummed out of da team!

WTF!!! after the upload of unit #4 the cfg client user file reverted back to "Anonymous" status!!!

Great Horny Toads!

Well, this little piggie is getting UNINSTALLED and am doing a fresh install of the GPU program - might as well set up the O/C on the GPU prior to this - I've got some catching up to do!

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
Ok, Below is what I did to fix the GPU F@H to post results to TeAm!

-Deleted prev. GPU F@H files
-Rebooted
-Used Catalyst AutoDetect to analyze system for optimal o/c of GPU
-Catalyst AutoDetect Results:
*****Graphic Processor Status - from base VPU Clock: 594mhz to Requested: 621mhz
*****Current temp: from base, no F@H processing of 41c to Current 61c running F@H
*****Graphic Memory Status - from base of 695mhz to Requested: 796mhz
-d/l'ed Stanford's FAH5.91beta5-GPU-Console
-Ran program in another folder
-Imput results (cfg client file)

[settings]
username=TurtleBlue
team=198
asknet=no
bigpackets=yes
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
memory=512
type=3

hmm...GPU console program showing "Folding@Home Core Shutdown: EARLY_UNIT END

Blast!

-restarting command file
-failed again!

Will throttle back GPU o/c and try again

-GPU card at base configuration (no o/c)
-completed 2 units
-Shut down F@H GPU & did moderate o/c
-Nogo-Core shutdown again!
-Shut down F@H GPU & did slight o/c (VPU at 601mhz and mem clock at 709mhz)
-hmm...seems to be working...it has completed 11 units at around 8.00 min per
-hope this holds...will throttle back to base levels if its retured before fully completed.

Whew!
Turtleblue

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
this will be a SLOW build as finances allows

I wouldn't bother buying bits & pieces at a time & storing them for a latter build ,by the time you get to building it you could of bought some of the same parts for much less money or get something faster for the same.
Unless you meant get a few bare essentials to get it crunching with better parts latter to get it upto full speed?

And no you don't deserve to be drummed out the team ;)

Btw have you used other programs to test that your GPU o/c is truely stable? (like ATITool) ,I hope so!:Q .........I guess not reading about your failed WUs!:p
Don't trust any automatic overclocking programs that don't use some sort of long term stress testing programs.

I've decided to hold fire on installing the GPU client for a little while as its already hot enough in my room without pumping more heat into it:p ,once temps are a little cooler then I'll got for it.
In the meantime I'm gonna find out what my 1950Pro will o/c to :D (using ATITool).
Def clocks GPU - 580 MHz ,RAM - 702 MHz

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
this will be a SLOW build as finances allows

I wouldn't bother buying bits & pieces at a time & storing them for a latter build ,by the time you get to building it you could of bought some of the same parts for much less money or get something faster for the same.
Unless you meant get a few bare essentials to get it crunching with better parts latter to get it upto full speed?

What I ment by this, Assimilator, is that the parts will be purchased/bid over the course of a month - month and a half to try to take advantage of best prices possible. Right now i am gunning for a Antec 180b box on ebay from a seller who seems to have an endless supply of em - but dang it! I keep getting outbid by a couple of dollars! (Grrr....). Some previeous sales of these boxes have range from the $50's - $70's while Newegg has em for over $100+

And no you don't deserve to be drummed out the team ;)

Gee, thanks - hope the others feel the same way :eek:

Btw have you used other programs to test that your GPU o/c is truely stable? (like ATITool) ,I hope so! .........I guess not reading about your failed WUs!
Don't trust any automatic overclocking programs that don't use some sort of long term stress testing programs.

I'll try out that ATITool you mentioned - I'll also go to F@H GPU's message board and see what those guys think how I should proceed with the o/c.

Looks like I finally scored the 330 points from unit #4 at 12 noon today - will know for sure when I get home later today.

Good luck with your card!

Turtleblue

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Ah , a month or so isn't that long a time then :)

Dang it! ,you know what? I tried to use ATITool v0.26 to o/c my GPU & the instant I touch 'find max core' it black screens my rig & locks it solid! :( ,I've tried 4 times (turning off powerstrip etc) but it's no good.

Doh! ,I've just read this at the ATItool page:-
Changes in this version:
Full support for all ATI and NVIDIA cards. Only X1950 Pro overclocking is not supported.

Damn :( ,looks like the v0.27 betas support 1950 Pros ,if I can actually get it!

TurtleBlue

Feb 10, 2004
Hi, Assimilator1

Sorry I did not get to this thread sooner :(

Ah , a month or so isn't that long a time then :)

Yeah, Usually I order everything all at once - Must Resist!

Dang it! ,you know what? I tried to use ATITool v0.26 to o/c my GPU & the instant I touch 'find max core' it black screens my rig & locks it solid! :( ,I've tried 4 times (turning off powerstrip etc) but it's no good.

Doh! ,I've just read this at the ATItool page:-
Changes in this version:
Full support for all ATI and NVIDIA cards. Only X1950 Pro overclocking is not supported.

Damn :(,looks like the v0.27 betas support 1950 Pros ,if I can actually get it!

Bloody Hell,

Have you been able to bring any of it back from the dead? Really sorry to hear about this and hope you are able to effect repairs.:(

Reminds me of my time in PC Hell when I pulled a bonehead move on a pc at home some years ago and locked it up tighter than one of those old Chastity Belts On Nubile Virgins :)
Crap, just thinking about it is breaking me into the sweats!

You would think the AtiTools site would display that warning about it's use on a 1950Pro card more prominently! :|

PS:
Did a bonehead move yesterday on my 1950Pro box - updated IE and after several reboots things looked ok (did shut down both the cpu & GPU F@H work units - the GPU was at 85 segments done).
Upon enabling the GPU work unit the dang thing crashed and sent the Early Terminated Work unit back to Stanford :| - Argggh! - Did not even get half the points for this boner.

Word of Advice: Let the GPU FINISH the unit before performing any surgery on the PC

Gah - talk about getting my knickers in a twist!

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
No hurry on replying:thumbsup:

Opps ,I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick ,when I said my PC black screened it recovered fine when rebooted,so ATITool hasn't killed my PC.
When I said 'I've tried 4 times' I was referring to when I hit the 'find max core' button ,my bad:eek:
Nubile virgins ,lol........err what's Nubile??:eek:

I've got ATITool v0.27b2 now (someone linked it in its forum thread) ,not had a proper chance to test it out yet.I did try the 'find max core' button & it didn't lock my PC ,although I left it trying to overclock the GPU without enabling 'driver level overclocking' as your supposed to for 1950 Pros (I wanted to see what happens;)),that resulted in a recoverable VPU crash ,lol!
Next time I'll do it properly.

So the GPU client doesn't like being shut down?

Btw ,why resist?:D

[edited to remove excessive smilies!]

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Time to resurect this thread ;)

I tried overclocking my 1950 but current versions of ATItool that support my card either aren't stable (0.27beta 2) or just won't o/c it (0.26) ,so I've given up on that for now.Though I may retry with AMD GPU.

Weather is cool enough now to run the GPU client so I'm going to see if I can get it going now :).........expect some newbie questions real soon :p

[edit] Looks like I've got it going ,I intially had problems with the missing d3dx9_30.dll file even though I have the latest version of DX9c:confused:

A quick look at the CPU loading shows that DPAD1 has about 45% of 1 core,DPAD2 about 30% ,& F@H GPU about 25-30% (wow it uses alot of RAM!:Q ~164MB).

After running for just about 5mins GPU temps are ~64C & CPU temps 56C (I think thats up about 3C).Will do proper tests tomorrow ,getting late now.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Well it's been running for a couple of days now so I can report some info.

It seems GPU temps were at a peak in my previous post ,probably because the weather was warmer!.
Current temps:-

GPU 59-62C
CPU 52-55C

That's running 2xDPADs & 1 F@H GPU.

The amount of CPU power that F@H requires fluctuates a lot.
Some brief observing of taskmanager shows it going from 10-49% with it mostly using 35-45% ,so basically it is using most of 1 core most of the time.
If I shut 1 DPAD client off the split is 50/50 between the 2 projects ,& with no DPAD on F@H GPU uses upto ~54% cpu power.
I wonder if I'd be better off overall running just 1 DPAD client? ,I'll have to test that at some point.

Next thing to test is power draw ,I'll be using my plug in the wall meter to measure it.Prior to running F@H it was drawing ~180w (IIRC,I'll re-confirm).I know running some intensive games or benchmarks my rig can draw upto 240w ,it'll be interesting to see how it compares to that.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Got the power figures ,running the following programs :-

2x DPAD - 180w
2x DPAD & ATItool with 3D view on - 240w
2x DPAD & F@H GPU - 223-228w
1x DPAD & F@H GPU - 230w

Roughly a 45-50w power increase from running the GPU at high load ,interesting to see in power terms the GPU being held back a little as a result of running 2 DPADs (as I 1st saw in task manager).

As for running 1 or 2 DPAD clients ,I know that if 1 client is getting 100% of a core it should get just under 25,000 Kpts/day.If I get equal to or less than that per day then I'll know I'll be better off running 1 client.
Earlier results though show I'm getting quite a bit more than 25k Kpts/day:) ,I'll update when I have enough stats.

Another question I'd like to know the answer to is how much is F@H being slowed down by DPAD? I'll have to test that too ;)

Btw what is the best way to measure daily output in F@H?