Explosion reported at Brussel airport

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Did you read my post on page 9?? I stated the observations by a guy who lived side by side with Muslims in the ME for 20 years. I'll take his observations over your drivel any day.

What is it about your post that makes anything I've typed "drivel"?

I worked side by side with a lot of Muslims over the years
I met their families, I ate with them, I partied with them
I consider all of them my friends

My relatives travel all over the Middle East all the time.
I've posted dozens of pictures for proof here
They where just recently in Iraq
They absolutely do not think badly of Muslims and have been treated very well,especially in the little villages
Oh, they are Christian missionaries

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
lopri said:
As for banning Muslims;

1) If it is about foreigners (e.g. refugees) it does not do much to help prevent terrorism. It will send a wrong signal in the world and will embolden ISIS. Furthermore, that is what exactly what ISIS wants - they need bodies they can rule.

2) If it is about banning American Muslim citizens (and only them) from traveling, that is clearly violation of the 1st Amendment and the Equal Protection Clause.
1) Europe let in hundreds of thousands of Muslims. And yet ISIS still bombed them. Sounds like that plan is a failure.

I am open to a constitutional amendment that bans all religions.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Learn something new here every day.

Terrorists routinely spout radical engineering views, and kill those that don't like their engineering doctrines.

Engineering is the problem.

Some study figured this out... and it was all so obvious if we had only stopped for a moment to listen to these radical engineers waving their protractors around and shouting "See it, Solve it!" before killing masses of people.

Violent religious beliefs -so long as Islamic- gets a pass.

Got it.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
It's not a 1:1 situation. It's a 10,000:1 situation. Remove the minion pool and the leader is leader of nothing.

You need to brief every anti-terror force with this solution that no one has ever thought of before.

"Just kill all the terrorists."

And to think, no one has thought of this approach in all it's easier-said-than-done simplicity.

EDIT: Additionally, has it proven to be a snake? Seems as though it has not since each time a head is removed another seems to spring right into place.

LOL, usually this is the argument given for "...just kill all the terrorists" (you'll only create more!) but even on the apologist side I've never seen anyone ever posit that going after the terror leadership was a terrible idea.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
You need to brief every anti-terror force with this solution that no one has ever thought of before.

"Just kill all the terrorists."

And to think, no one has thought of this approach in all it's easier-said-than-done simplicity.

LOL, usually this is the argument given for "...just kill all the terrorists" (you'll only create more!) but even on the apologist side I've never seen anyone ever posit that going after the terror leadership was a terrible idea.

And I didn't say kill. Please disengage if you have no actual interest.

As for the leadership, again, show me the positive results from this methodology that you're championing.

And no apologies here.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
And I didn't say kill. Please disengage if you have no actual interest.
Oh I see....remove. lol

What's that entail in real world terms? A stern talking to? Sing kum by ya? Just agree with their demands?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Oh I see....remove. lol

What's that entail in real world terms? A stern talking to? Sing kum by ya? Just agree with their demands?

Which I said previously involves integration, and additionally the clear demonstration of a life with a path to tangible prosperity.

When you look at nothing and know that's all you and your children have to look forward to, what motivation is there to even aspire, much less pursue dreams? Instead you can be led into a fiery death and believe you made the choice to be there, rather than being coerced by a crackpot zealot.

So yeah, I stand opposed to the methodology of stronger borders to keep these people "in their place" as well as the calls to cut foreign aid.

Diplomacy, that most dangerous idea, is the thing you apparently can't wrap your head around.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
When you look at nothing and know that's all you and your children have to look forward to, what motivation is there to even aspire, much less pursue dreams? Instead you can be led into a fiery death and believe you made the choice to be there, rather than being coerced by a crackpot zealot.

So yeah, I stand opposed to the methodology of stronger borders to keep these people "in their place"

People can only pursue their dreams in the US?

I had no idea you were such a strong supporter of American Exceptionalism

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I am open to a constitutional amendment that bans all religions.
You already have the best amendment possible

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
adhere to fairly and equally to both sides (government and religion) and you would have few problems with religion, political correctness, fear of criticizing others beliefs because of being called a racist,bigot, -phobe, etc.

And for everyone asking where the Muslims speaking out against Islamists are, well here is one among many, too bad apologist phony-liberal types like to silence them.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ce9_1449896186

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
I had a very good idea you'd put words in my mouth.

Congrats on meeting expectations.

That is the plain meaning of your words.

You said you were opposed to a stronger border because people need to be able to pursue their dreams.

If that's not what you meant, what were you trying to say?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
That is the plain meaning of your words.

You said you were opposed to a stronger border because people need to be able to pursue their dreams.

If that's not what you meant, what were you trying to say?

Here's a counter-question: do you even care what I'm trying to say?

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004

Because I'm interested in engaging in a dialogue on this subject, and that's difficult to do when we don't understand what each other is saying.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

It sounds like you are for open borders because it allows people to seek better opportunities that they otherwise would not have had..

Far more people come to the US for a better life than people move away. It goes to logic that its for better opportunities. If the net flow is into the US, and you believe its because people are seeking opportunities, then you believe the US offers more opportunities than where people come from no?

It sure seems like you are saying people are leaving hopeless places and should be allowed to come to the US. If the net immigration is into the US, then it follows the US is offering something they cannot get otherwise.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
It sounds like you are for open borders because it allows people to seek better opportunities that they otherwise would not have had..

Far more people come to the US for a better life than people move away. It goes to logic that its for better opportunities. If the net flow is into the US, and you believe its because people are seeking opportunities, then you believe the US offers more opportunities than where people come from no?

It sure seems like you are saying people are leaving hopeless places and should be allowed to come to the US. If the net immigration is into the US, then it follows the US is offering something they cannot get otherwise.

I apparently conflated things then. I meant EU and US borders should remain open, as should all the countries that comprise "the West". I'd like to us to lead by example.

But I do think people should be free to seek their fortunes. The more that do leave fewer behind to fall prey to religious radicals and their cults of hatred and death.

The more that everyone has a chance to gain, and has hope for their future and the futures of their children, the less likely they will work against that future.

I am idealistic. I'm not certain I can be convinced to be any other way, so I will disengage from this discussion, since I am not likely to change my mind because of it, and am therefore not a viable participant.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
What is it about your post that makes anything I've typed "drivel"?

I worked side by side with a lot of Muslims over the years
I met their families, I ate with them, I partied with them
I consider all of them my friends

-snip-

You "partied" with them?

The Arab Muslims I've worked with didn't party. No drinking etc. I guess your friends weren't devout.

I worked with some in France. They were educated (lawyers) and (obviously) were fluent in French. But I think no alcohol and the way they treated their women makes it virtually impossible to assimilate. Can't go out for drinks after work? Make your wife wear a giant bag and treat her like cattle? The professional women I worked with didn't care for that at all. Makes spending after work hours together difficult.

Fern

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I apparently conflated things then. I meant EU and US borders should remain open, as should all the countries that comprise "the West". I'd like to us to lead by example.

But I do think people should be free to seek their fortunes. The more that do leave fewer behind to fall prey to religious radicals and their cults of hatred and death.

The more that everyone has a chance to gain, and has hope for their future and the futures of their children, the less likely they will work against that future.

I am idealistic. I'm not certain I can be convinced to be any other way, so I will disengage from this discussion, since I am not likely to change my mind because of it, and am therefore not a viable participant.

So, the issue is not about exclusion, because you are for excluding people just not all people. The difference is just that you disagree on which groups should be excluded. So someone like Trump that things x amount should be excluded just has a larger and or different set of people to exclude than your group of non western.

Is that a fair understanding?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
So, the issue is not about exclusion, because you are for excluding people just not all people. The difference is just that you disagree on which groups should be excluded. So someone like Trump that things x amount should be excluded just has a larger and or different set of people to exclude than your group of non western.

Is that a fair understanding?

Fair? No.

Any further questions?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
You "partied" with them?

The Arab Muslims I've worked with didn't party. No drinking etc. I guess your friends weren't devout.

I worked with some in France. They were educated (lawyers) and (obviously) were fluent in French. But I think no alcohol and the way they treated their women makes it virtually impossible to assimilate. Can't go out for drinks after work? Make your wife wear a giant bag and treat her like cattle? The professional women I worked with didn't care for that at all. Makes spending after work hours together difficult.

Fern

Ya, I partied with them. Some drank, most didn't, everybody partied
No bags on their women and I never seen anything out of normal with the treatment of their women.
I've treated women in my life a lot worse

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Fair? No.

Any further questions?

Well sure. What part did I lose you on? You said you were for open borders but only for Western nations. You wanted open borders so people could seek opportunity. The reality is that more come to the US than leave for opportunity.

So explain where we split.

Nov 25, 2013
So not very devout Muslims?

Seriously, wtf do you actually know about Islam?
How many times have you read the Qur'an?
How long ago did you start studying the religion?
What religious scholars' works (both Islamic and non-Islamic) did you consult during your studies?
How much study did you do with the Sunnah?
How much do you understand about the various interpretations of the various hadiths?
How well do you understand the main sects of Sunni and Shiite and where and why they differ?
How about minor sects like the Sufis?

Or was it all just a few hours cruising the interwebs.

Inquiring minds and all that.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Which I said previously involves integration, and additionally the clear demonstration of a life with a path to tangible prosperity.

LOL.

You clearly missed the point made where most of the terrorists that attack the west AREN'T poor.

So billionaire bin laden, and his upper middle class minions needed a path to whatsthatagain?