Solved! Expanding Booting Windows 10 Partition on Larger Capacity SSD

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Finally made the switch to an NVMe drive from a regular SATA-III SSD since the prices have come down, but I overlooked something. Macrium Reflect wouldn't allow me to edit the size of the partition that contains Windows when I cloned it over. I was trying to jog my memory but I thought that this could be easily done in Windows 10 after cloning but, even though I'm not booting off of the new SSD yet, I still can't adjust the size. Is it beccause the partition is marked as active? I'll probably just use gParted outside of a booting OS to change the size of the partition on the new volume but I can't help but feel that I'm overlooking something super simple. Was just wondering if anyone could help guide my palm to my face...

I plan to wipe the old 2.5" SSD after booting from the M.2 (and yes, my mobo does support it), but not until I'm up and running with a larger booting volume.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Would help to look at the partitions with windows disk management,a partition that has another one on it's right (and a usual windows install has a little recovery partition after the windows partition) can not be increased because it needs continuous space,you would need to delete (or move) that partition.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I had noticed that yes; there is a recovery partition and then half the size of the new drive as un-allocated.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I had noticed that yes; there is a recovery partition and then half the size of the new drive as un-allocated.
So, then move the other partition to the end, and then you can expand the boot partition.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
As a side note/question... is there any way, without 3rd party software or hacks, to exclude a startup app from not prompting UAC permission window?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As a side note/question... is there any way, without 3rd party software or hacks, to exclude a startup app from not prompting UAC permission window?
I had that happen when I backed up my friend's Win7 64-bit installation, using Macrium Reflect Free, and then restored it to a larger SSD, and expanded the partition, then upgraded in-place to Win10.

CCleaner keeps popping up on login with a UAC prompt.

Btw, is there a way to do "proportional cloning" with Macrium Reflect?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Un install and re install as admin?

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I had that happen when I backed up my friend's Win7 64-bit installation, using Macrium Reflect Free, and then restored it to a larger SSD, and expanded the partition, then upgraded in-place to Win10.

CCleaner keeps popping up on login with a UAC prompt.

Btw, is there a way to do "proportional cloning" with Macrium Reflect?

Is CCleaner set to run at startup ?

Macrium operates by default on the basis of writing only used disk sectors. Macrium calls it intelligent copy.
image2015-5-9 10 35 56.png

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Macrium operates by default on the basis of writing only used disk sectors. Macrium calls it intelligent copy.
Yeah but progs like Ghost used to have an option to do what is labeled forensic copy in the picture you showed but extending each existing partition to cover the whole drive either it would increase all partitions by the same amount or you could choose the sizes.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Ah, good stuff. I'll try to reinstall it as admin and see if it still occurs.

Thanks.