Discussion EVGA exits video card market, terminates partnership with Nvidia (GN, JayzTC)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
They either got RDNA's being made up, or Intel has partnered with them as intel has no clue on how to make a GPU outside the die only packages. Hell maybe Intel Bought them, or bought the entire GPU division, as Intel really has no clue on how to design a proper GPU layout and board.
Well, tell me what Intel's Limited Edition cards are? :p

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If Biostar has been able still be in business after all of these years selling craptacular cheap but usually stable and functional motherboards, EVGA can make it (at least in the U.S. / Europe markets).

Fixed. ;)

Biostar may not be the best quality (lol) however I've used a whole bunch of their low-end Intel-chipset motherboards over the last 25+ years (like 100's) and literally never had a serious problem that couldn't be fixed with a BIOS update.

Conversely I've dealt with maybe a dozen EVGA motherboards and every one of them was a headache in some way.... I wouldn't buy another.

EVGA PSU's OTOH are decent but only as a fall-back from Seasonic or Corsair IMO. The only advantage they have over Superflower (the OEM who makes their PSU's) is better communication with tech-support.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
I have a strong inkling that if EVGA does decide to expand their motherboard lineup, it won't be a nForce model. ;)

There's a lot of money to be made on motherboards nowadays. Slap some RGB on it, a few colorful pieces of plastic on it with spiffy scribblings on it, and a debug LED, and charge $600 - $800 for it.......Kidding not kidding. :eek:

If Biostar has been able still be in business after all of these years selling craptacular motherboards, EVGA can make it (at least in the U.S. / Europe markets).

Oh man, hearing nForce brought me back to my early days of PC building and gaming! I do think that they should expand their motherboard lineup that offers more gamer/mid-tier lineups.

Separately, what happens to the kingpin guy that’s on staff now without a GPU division?

Boze

Dec 20, 2004
I have often wondered how the whole AIB business model works. Nvidia sells their own cards, so they are competing with all the AIB vendors. It feels like there are way too many companies in that space now, including many no-name Chinese vendors.

Negative Ghost Rider.

Competition is a good thing, the more the merrier. Why are smartphone prices so inexpensive, comparatively speaking? Because there's loads of vendors and loads of choice and loads of SoC /chipset producers.

Samsung, Apple, RockChip, MediaTek, Qualcomm, Allwinner, and others make SoCs for smartphones, and many of these companies are moving up (MediaTek's Dimensity 1050 chip is actually pretty impresive and I think Motorola's using it in one of their higher-end mid-range phones).

Look at the state of the GPU market... we have two major producers and one also-ran who's first showing is pretty God-awful. Turn the clock back to the late 1990s / early 2000s and it was a GPU bonanza. Half a dozen or more different GPU chipsets and probably close to two dozen AIBs. You wanted a PowerVR chip from STB? No problem. You want a Rendition chip from Matrox? Done.

Loads of choice. Loads of competition. Loads of great pricing.

It was a great time.

Then by 2007, NVIDIA had pretty much won the game and was selling 8800 Ultras for $829 on launch day. This very website said it wasn't worth the money, just like RTX 3090s and 3090 Tis weren't / aren't worth $1499 / $1999.

We don't have enough competition, period. That's the problem.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm on my 3rd Nvidia FE. I love EVGA, but could not find stock for my last two builds. My last 2 PSU's were theirs, however I don't see how that will keep them in business. I recall having a motherboard of theirs too, and it was mediocre to say the least. To quote Don M, turn out the lights, the party's over.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Fixed. ;)

Biostar may not be the best quality (lol) however I've used a whole bunch of their low-end Intel-chipset motherboards over the last 25+ years (like 100's) and literally never had a serious problem that couldn't be fixed with a BIOS update.
Haven't kept up with things, but I remember Biostar being in a lot of cheap pre-builts.

Reactions: Captante

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Negative Ghost Rider.

Competition is a good thing, the more the merrier. Why are smartphone prices so inexpensive, comparatively speaking? Because there's loads of vendors and loads of choice and loads of SoC /chipset producers.

Samsung, Apple, RockChip, MediaTek, Qualcomm, Allwinner, and others make SoCs for smartphones, and many of these companies are moving up (MediaTek's Dimensity 1050 chip is actually pretty impresive and I think Motorola's using it in one of their higher-end mid-range phones).

Look at the state of the GPU market... we have two major producers and one also-ran who's first showing is pretty God-awful. Turn the clock back to the late 1990s / early 2000s and it was a GPU bonanza. Half a dozen or more different GPU chipsets and probably close to two dozen AIBs. You wanted a PowerVR chip from STB? No problem. You want a Rendition chip from Matrox? Done.

Loads of choice. Loads of competition. Loads of great pricing.

It was a great time.

It's great for us buyers, but I don't see how it works from the companies' point of view. I'm talking about the AIB variants of a given GPU, not different GPUs. EVGA had some unique features on their FTW3 cards but most of the other AIB brands have very little differentiation, and you often see 4 or 5 brands selling the same card with a different cooler appearance. See this list for example.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So far it appears that all of them are limited edition! 😂😂😂

Maybe the classified edition will make a come back from eVGA if they make intel cards.
Because they will be so classified, it will be impossible to know who got one, or how it actually performs in real world gaming.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
I'm guessing they're going to make a big push into motherboards, since they already have a foot in that particular door and it's the video card staff should have good skills overlap.
If they have left the GPU market then I wouldn't trust them to not leave the MB market as well. Hence I am much less likely to buy a board of them now. I mean how does a company like that survive when it kills most of it's revenue with no replacement in sight? It certainly doesn't give you any faith in the management.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Competition is a good thing, the more the merrier.
[...]
We don't have enough competition, period. That's the problem.

A major issue is also that Nvidia has too much power over vendors. If they could decide to release a 20 GB 3080, then it would disrupt Nvidia's strategy of putting too little VRAM on the cards to force people to upgrade sooner and for people to be forced

If they have left the GPU market then I wouldn't trust them to not leave the MB market as well. Hence I am much less likely to buy a board of them now.

Why does that matter to you? I get it if you are a company that wants to keep their systems consistent, but as an end user I have very little loyalty to motherboard makers. I just search for a board with the features I want and look at reviews to see which of the ones that match don't have major issues, starting by the cheapest.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hence I am much less likely to buy a board of them now.

As I stated in my previous post, EVGA motherboards are not the typical goto boards for 75% of the PC builders out there.
They are mostly aimed at high end overclocking, with bare minimum features, loaded with quality components, but again lacking in a lot of features.
The Dark Series is an over engineered board that offers no convenience outside overclocking, its a straight up NASCAR stripped down to its bear frame, with super thick and short traces, and beefy power regulators to ram and cpu. Its not something you want to daily drive, unless you want those high overclocks.

The FTW3 series tried to bridge the gap between that, but again, the FTW3 series lacks a lot of features the Gigabyte AUROS G9 + Designware / ASUS Rampage + STRIX / MSI GODLIKE boards offer.

Its really a no brainer in which board you would want to use a daily driver... its definitely not the eVGA, unless u want those absolute clocks, which you have the highest chance getting on a DARK.

I have a total of 4 EVGA boards, they are not "daily drivers" but more testing the hell out of whatever i throw on them boards.
I know the absolute APEX on what the chip can do on a Dark series, because they were again over engineered for just that purpose.
But i would never use them as my daily driver, as i want all the additional accessories the designware / godlike boards give you.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Certainly not a whole lot of "markup" room with these boards unless AIB partners want to make $2000 GPU's "mainstream". (and wtf is up with that 12gb "4080 jr" that S/B the 4070 ?!? )

Even more sobering however is what I'm hearing about any potential lower-end 40-series models being supplanted with leftover 30-series cards Nvidia is currently stuck with.

EVGA was at least partially responsible for their own problems BUT Nvidia really does suck too.

Reactions: Leeea

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Now that nvidia has given its rtx4000 series presentation, I think we know now why EVGA pulled out of making GPUs for this next generation.

They bailed out (Told NVidia back in April) long before they would have known anything about pricing or current market conditions (mining crash).

They were just sick of NVidia's treatment.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
They bailed out (Told NVidia back in April) long before they would have known anything about pricing or current market conditions (mining crash).

They were just sick of NVidia's treatment.
I agree. Think they were sick of getting pushed around. I remember a bunch of AIBs complaining about the 30 series rollout and how they felt they were given everything at the last minute possible.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Last time I remember a big company saying they're going to give up on the majority of their business line was when HP was talking about the PC market with that terrible, terrible CEO some years ago. They were like EVGA, #1 marketshare.

If they are thinking of getting back with AMD/Intel in the future, the announcement will kill most of future ambitions regarding the GPU market.

A sane management would have said they'd go in a different direction, such as AMD/Intel or "evaluating options".

I don't have a good experience with EVGA cards. I think they are overblown and to be a honest, pos. I think they are good at making it look good and high quality but in actuality it's questionable. Don't be mistaken, I don't doubt Nvidia is treating it's partners terribly but I don't think the problems can be attributed to them 100%.

Last edited: