Discussion EVGA exits video card market, terminates partnership with Nvidia (GN, JayzTC)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Last time I remember a big company saying they're going to give up on the majority of their business line was when HP was talking about the PC market with that terrible, terrible CEO some years ago. They were like EVGA, #1 marketshare.

If they are thinking of getting back with AMD/Intel in the future, the announcement will kill most of future ambitions regarding the GPU market.

A sane management would have said they'd go in a different direction, such as AMD/Intel or "evaluating options".

I don't have a good experience with EVGA cards. I think they are overblown and to be a honest, pos. I think they are good at making it look good and high quality but in actuality it's questionable. Don't be mistaken, I don't doubt Nvidia is treating it's partners terribly but I don't think the problems can be attributed to them 100%.
Quite a few people actually acknowledge that EVGA cards were not that good at cooling especially on the low end two slot cards. However, the praise for their customer service is universal, I don't think I've ever come across a bad EVGA customer service review, at least not on GPU side. Pretty much every review I've seen has said their customer reps don't read from a script so RMA'ing is easy, they had replacement cards delivered in 2 weeks time, and if they didn't have exact card in stock they'd upgrade at no cost. Again, the few people who've acknowledged less than stellar EVGA cooler designs still said they'd buy EVGA for their customer service alone. EVGA will be missed.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
All the same, when one AIB has like 40% of the market we're also going to hear about their failures much more often.

I never personally owned an EVGA card, but I really appreciated that they offered so many varieties of card.

Basically every tier of card came with a "shorter" and "longer" option. 1 or 2 fans for lower end models and 2 or 3 fans for mid/high end models.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
New video from Gamer's Nexus. They asked them if any new products are coming soon and they said yes, stay tuned. I know they are making other stuff, other than gpus, but I swear to God, the moment they will announce any other GPUs, Intel or AMD ones, I will piss myself laughing! xD

Reactions: Leeea

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
New video from Gamer's Nexus. They asked them if any new products are coming soon and they said yes, stay tuned. I know they are making other stuff, other than gpus, but I swear to God, the moment they will announce any other GPUs, Intel or AMD ones, I will piss myself laughing! xD

Maybe they'll start doing pre-built.

Reactions: Leeea

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Quite a few people actually acknowledge that EVGA cards were not that good at cooling especially on the low end two slot cards. However, the praise for their customer service is universal, I don't think I've ever come across a bad EVGA customer service review, at least not on GPU side. Pretty much every review I've seen has said their customer reps don't read from a script so RMA'ing is easy, they had replacement cards delivered in 2 weeks time, and if they didn't have exact card in stock they'd upgrade at no cost. Again, the few people who've acknowledged less than stellar EVGA cooler designs still said they'd buy EVGA for their customer service alone. EVGA will be missed.
Yeah as far as customer service, they won me over. I swore off any other GPU company just because of their customer service. They'd RMA even eBay cards. If their automated online system tossed your RMA in a gutter if you called them up and talked to a human they'd make things go right for you.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Speaking as a lowly PC enthusiast/gamer who works in the oilfield, this news hit harder than I expected. Back in 2004/2005 when I was a poor college student living in a '95 T-Bird, I would build PCs for people around campus and only charge an extra $100 for assembly and installation (I'd ship parts to my friend's house and do everything there) and I was a diehard XFX fan. I'd throw those GPUs in every single build and they were rock solid. Cut to a few years later and I try out EVGA and I haven't ever looked back. I can't even recall how many PCs I've built for friends, family, and coworkers and with the very few exceptions who wanted AMD cards, everything has been EVGA. As others have already stated, their customer service was something no other company could ever touch - they were the gold standard. It felt amazing when I'd receive a dead card or have to warranty a card knowing that I'd be dealing with their customer service department instead of others like Gigabyte (only ever had bad experiences with them in the past).

That being said, I think this hit the hardest because I was about two or three days away from transferring a large chunk from savings to checking and ordering hardware. I've been checking Newegg and EVGA every single day looking for the 3090 Ti to come back in stock and now I hate that I didn't grab the 3090s during Labor Day weekend when I saw them for under $900 each. Guess I should have been paying more attention to the news but now I'm left wondering if I should make the switch to AMD or look into a different brand

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
WOW, I’ve been buying only EVGA video cards, for almost as long as they’ve been around, really sad.

I just pulled the plug a few months ago and bought a 3080 FTW Ultra, and HOLY CRAP, they’re selling 3090ti for $1000, I am so tempted LOL.

But, whoever we all buy from next, the 4000s are around the corner, so as tempting as the 3090ti at a $1000, I’ll hold out.

The future of EVGA is going to be interesting to watch... hmm 🤔

Reactions: Zor Prime

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
But, whoever we all buy from next, the 4000s are around the corner, so as tempting as the 3090ti at a $1000, I’ll hold out.

Not exactly on-topic but you may be disappointed if you're looking at $1k and below prices for video cards from the 4000-series.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Not exactly on-topic but you may be disappointed if you're looking at $1k and below prices for video cards from the 4000-series.

I just bought my 3080 only a few months ago, it should be fine for a few more years. Whenever I jump at a 4000, that will probably be two years from now.

And, with EVGA leaving, I’m not sure I want to ever buy Nvidia again. hmm 🤔