Discussion EVGA exits video card market, terminates partnership with Nvidia (GN, JayzTC)

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I have often wondered how the whole AIB business model works. Nvidia sells their own cards, so they are competing with all the AIB vendors. It feels like there are way too many companies in that space now, including many no-name Chinese vendors.

Reactions: Leeea

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Bummer. EVGA cards were top notch, and they seemed a bit better still running GPU queues during the Crypto mess.

It's a real mess if they are losing hundreds selling cards, for more than NVidia is selling founders cards.

The one thing I don't get is why they are ruling out other product categories.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The one thing I don't get is why they are ruling out other product categories.

Many of the product categories they've tried to get into over the last few years haven't gone very well.

Sound cards, cases, keyboards, mice, etc.

Unless they ramp up the number of motherboards they sell, I'm not sure how long they will survive as an independent company. After they stop selling GPUs, that really just leaves them as a power supply company (and they don't manufacturer any of them).

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
A very stupid and i just want knowledge on this that this will not effect the new upcoming drivers of Nvidia for EVGA customers right?

because i have EVGA card as well.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
As per the GN video, they made 78% off GR from video cards, and just 20% of GR was from PSUs, but they made 300% more profit off of those PSUs.

300% more profit per unit, which means in terms of total profit PSUs and GPUs were more or less comparable.

That said, it goes without saying that EVGA's PSU division (and every other division) piggybacked on the GPU division's reputation.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Come on EVGA! AMD is waiting for you.

( I know he said he would not make for Intel or AMD )

As for the truth, nvidia has a bit of a rep of being difficult to work for.

Gut feeling, EVGA is going big into mainboards. It is not a new market for them, and it is one they might do well in. Mainboards are getting expensive these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Looking forward to hearing more detail about how "EVGA's belief is that Nvidia has screwed it over". This seems like a really big deal.

Pretty clear that's about treating board venders like dirt. Squeezing them on Margins, not even telling them what the price of cards/CPUs will cost until Jensen reveals pricing on stage, and undercutting board partners on prices with the Founders edition cards.

Even when they are selling current cards for much more than Founders cards, they are still losing hundreds of dollars per high end cards.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
HOLY **** wow. EVGA was always considered an S-tier Nvidia vendor. There is some major drama brewing behind the scenes for them to bail out on NV what the actual ****.

OK, now that is out of the way, does this mean EVGA card firesale? If they're exiting the GPU business I don't know how they plan on reasonably supporting the warranty on their cards with some hidden stockpile for the next three years.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
HOLY **** wow. EVGA was always considered an S-tier Nvidia vendor. There is some major drama brewing behind the scenes for them to bail out on NV what the actual ****.

OK, now that is out of the way, does this mean EVGA card firesale? If they're exiting the GPU business I don't know how they plan on reasonably supporting the warranty on their cards with some hidden stockpile for the next three years.

Via the videos posted, EVGA will keep some cards on hand to honor warranties for the ampere cards.