EVGA claims minor rust as physical damage. What do you think ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Evga customer support is terrible. The reps are rude and probe the crap out of you to see if you know your stuff. I had a card that came with a chipped pcb and they claimed it to be my fault even though I opened the package that way. I explained it to amazon and they returned it no questions asked. Of course I posted it here and got slandered for it but others bought cards and many parts from me and know I don't abuse my stuff.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Evga customer support is terrible. The reps are rude and probe the crap out of you to see if you know your stuff. I had a card that came with a chipped pcb and they claimed it to be my fault even though I opened the package that way. I explained it to amazon and they returned it no questions asked. Of course I posted it here and got slandered for it but others bought cards and many parts from me and know I don't abuse my stuff.

Again, sounds like one single bad experienced is where you derived that opinion though heh.

And if anyone thinks Evga is bad, you should stay away from most other brands as they are way way worse....

docp

Jul 4, 2007
I certainly wont buy any EVGA products anymore. Rust is not physical damage, its poor product design.

its poor quality of components used while making it.
and now EVGA is out of my white list.
good bye EVGA

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
It just depends I guess. Its strange I see peoples experiences drastically different from my own but, I guess thats life. Ive done 6 RMA's with EVGA and every time I got a card that has worked fine.... So im skeptical when a person does only 1 rma and has an issue when ive done 6 over 10 or so years and not had an issue.

And Ive had great dealings with Zotac too. Some people hate on their rebates but ive actually received all mine very fast from them. Never had to RMA with them though.

From what you are saying you've had an ~50% failure rate? Something's wrong right there.

The Alias

Aug 22, 2012
From what you are saying you've had an ~50% failure rate? Something's wrong right there.

thank God you weren't the only one who noticed

I've had a gt 240 go out on me from them . I checked to see why my pc wouldn't boot and there was quite literally a resistor or capacitor (can't tell which) that fell off the back of it's pcb !

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001

Your logic is flawed though because it would be the same with any other brand name. 4 of my RMA's were 8800GT's and 9800GT's which were fairly prone to failure when they were released. Ive had BFG 6800 Ultra's and 7900GT's die as well. BFG was an excellent company for RMA's as well.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Your logic is flawed though because it would be the same with any other brand name. 4 of my RMA's were 8800GT's and 9800GT's which were fairly prone to failure when they were released. Ive had BFG 6800 Ultra's and 7900GT's die as well. BFG was an excellent company for RMA's as well.

How's my logic flawed? I'm not blaming it an anything in particular. Just that it's an incredibly high failure rate.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I have faced a similar experience with ASUS when the motherboard I bought showed rust formation on the rear I/O panel. I live in Chennai, a coastal city in India. The climate is typically tropical. the distributor refused to provide warranty support saying that rust is physical damage.

A relative of mine faced a similar problem but with a Sony Trinitron TV a few years back. After 1.5 years of purchase the TV stopped working. The main PCB showed rust and the 1 yr warranty had expired. the manufacturer said the PCB replacement was Rs. 15,000 (USD 300). The entire TV had cost Rs. 50,000 (USD 1000). My relative asked how the TV could fail within 1.5 years given that Sony charged premium pricing and was known for its quality. he also raised the question that while designing the product they would have known that the product will be sold in tropical and coastal locations where humidity and corrosion are known problems. The company said that rust is considered physical damage and they are not to blame for that. My relative went to consumer court but lost the case.

My thought has always been this. The manufacturers know that people live in such locations where rusting happens. Why don't they design using materials which resist corrosion. I guess thats where quality comes into the picture. PC and consumer electronics companies are compromising on quality for improving margins. thats why such things happen.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Rust...on a graphics card?? :confused: Rust does suggest to me the card really hasn't been looked after. Gfx cards run hot and in a windy environment where it really should be very hard for rust to form. If you were running one on a small boat as sea I could see how it might get rusty but they aren't designed for that imho. I'm not really surprised they refused his RMA. It also suggests the card has got wet for some period of time(water cooling?).

Maxx_Power

Dec 13, 2012
Looking at those pictures, Id have to say, thats quite a lot of rust for a video card, wtf....

I kind of see EVGA's side of this. Its not their fault if a card dies because you live in a humid or excessively moist place where parts inside of a computer are actually rusted.....

I'm working on getting some computer pictures from the OP to show that the rest of the steel components aren't rusted to demonstrate my theory that the rusting is completely due to galvanic corrosion. The screws/springs were improperly plated and/or plated with dissimilar metals that weren't supposed to be used together.

Maxx_Power

Dec 13, 2012

I guess that depends on the generation. Nvidia at one point did recall a LOT of 8000 series cards, mostly due to bumpgate and TDP issues. I had a 8600GT fail due to that, I think. A LOT of 8800's had a lot of issues too related to bumpgate that MANY people resort to "baking" in the oven to perform a temp fix. I did that too on my 8800GTS AND 880GT when they started showing symptoms.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Rust...on a graphics card?? :confused: Rust does suggest to me the card really hasn't been looked after. Gfx cards run hot and in a windy environment where it really should be very hard for rust to form. If you were running one on a small boat as sea I could see how it might get rusty but they aren't designed for that imho. I'm not really surprised they refused his RMA. It also suggests the card has got wet for some period of time(water cooling?).

I'm going to go from the opposite direction. The only time RMA should be denied if the customer misused the card in one way or another. Aside from water cooling leaking what can a customer do to make his card rust? Absolutely nothing. So if the guy did not have a leaky water loop, he did absolutely nothing wrong as the rust is not his fault and therefore EVGA should honor the warranty.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I have components far older than that with no rust. I have an awe64 gold from years ago that looks new. I honestly don't know how that happens, it certainly doesn't seem normal - and I live in a humid area as well.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ridiculous.

Their cheapness in refusing to fix an old cheap card costs them lots of customers reading this. If I was choosing between brands right now, that would take Evga off my list.

riva2model64

Dec 13, 2012
I can understand an RMA department being a little probing. After all, there are people who take advantage of warranties and want a replacement from misuse or abuse and conveniently leave those details out (anyone who has bought a used car or fixes cars knows this, a lot of failures are not due to normal wear and tear).

That said, it's frustrating if you've honestly used the product normally and the company is giving you issues.

I've never lived in an extremely humid environment, but if a company offers a warranty in a region, it should be acclimated to work in in that environment WITHOUT climate control, barring natural disasters or unusual circumstances.

Companies I've had fantastic support experiences with have been Dell, Logitech, and Newegg. These companies went above and beyond the terms of their warranties, and I didn't have to pay a dime.

I'm sure people have had bad experiences with the above companies. I'd recommend OP to talk to someone else on the eVGA team, as they have a reputation for good support so someone else is bound to help him better.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah unless the rust is from water damage caused by the owner, EVGA should honour the warranty.

Aren't the screws and PCI bracket used on video cards stainless steel or galvanized/plated?

EDIT: actually in really humid environments, I suppose some sort of galvanic cell could be created by the screws and the aluminum/copper heatsink, leading to localized corrosion on the screws, especially if the person lives near salt water.

Last edited:

hokies83

Oct 3, 2010
It ain't just this. I've been reading horror stories for months now.
And Logitech is nearly perfect in their customer support.

Logitech = best RMA service in the world lol

Ive had 3 mice wear out and they sent me 3 brand new ones and let me keep my old ones i Love Logitech lol.

On a Side note Galaxy does not consider Screws with a little corrosion on a very old card physical damage.

But we coat or screws to prevent this from happening in the first place.

Last edited:

Maxx_Power

Dec 13, 2012
Yeah unless the rust is from water damage caused by the owner, EVGA should honour the warranty.

Aren't the screws and PCI bracket used on video cards stainless steel or galvanized/plated?

EDIT: actually in really humid environments, I suppose some sort of galvanic cell could be created by the screws and the aluminum/copper heatsink, leading to localized corrosion on the screws, especially if the person lives near salt water.

I'm fairly sure those screws are plated, or otherwise painted. From memory, a lot of the older screws with a T-top are either plated with nickel or painted black. Those ones on OP's card looks like they were painted black. It seems the paint barrier simply failed over time.

How to prevent rusting on screws:
http://www.wisegeek.org/how-do-i-prevent-rusted-screws.htm

I think this is the most likely scenario, but of course, I'm not absolutely certain.

Maxx_Power

Dec 13, 2012
On a Side note Galaxy does not consider Screws with a little corrosion on a very old card physical damage.

But we coat or screws to prevent this from happening in the first place.

My experience is that XFX didn't care either. I have RMA'd old cards with them that weren't in tip top shape with the screws, a lot of plating were peeling off, and some rusting started where the screw driver makes contact with the screw.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Usually nickle plated I think.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Usually nickle plated I think.

Well, if it is in fact Nickel, and the plating was done PROPERLY, then the screws shouldn't rust even if there was a galvanic cell as Nickel is more noble on the galvanic series than aluminum and/or copper.

IF the plating itself was not done properly then that could definitely lead to corrosion of the screws.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
Looks like some of the screws are rounded\stripped
I wouldn't want evga to sending me that card in it's condition as a rma return item , which I think is their standard of what to except.
that said the $40.00 to get a new card is fair depending on the card.you never know they might up it if he pays the 40.