Everquest Next announcement coming 2 August in Vegas

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The above statement does not reflect the graphics and style of EQ2 and never has. :rolleyes:

If you check out some of the upclose videos and stills of Next, there's a lot of detail in those animated characters. Eyes move and blink, mouths and faces make expressions, etc.

funny, a search of eq2 shiny playdough graphics brings up many hits about the graphics looking shiny, like playdough, etc.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
funny, a search of eq2 shiny playdough graphics brings up many hits about the graphics looking shiny, like playdough, etc.

Except they never did. You can also get many hits on Man of Steel being a great movie, but it sucked.

Almost 10 years after the game launched though, they don't exactly look decent today.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
I read it's set to release on PS4...I've never understood how a MMORPG could possibly be good doing cross platform with consoles. Unfortunately, TES MMO is set to do the same.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
I read it's set to release on PS4...I've never understood how a MMORPG could possibly be good doing cross platform with consoles. Unfortunately, TES MMO is set to do the same.

Aside from the controller issues, the new consoles are equipped with strong enough hardware to finally support an MMO without clearcutting the graphics engine down to a barren wasteland.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
seems really ambitious. they're even doing a whole minecraft subgame and adding minecraft style building to the game.

This is what I was thinking. Some of the shit I've seen created in minecraft is insane. They are basically outsourcing world creation to players.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I thought this looked far, far better than TESO.

TESO looks like a generic MMO from Perfect World... So disappointed.

I think this is the longest I've gone in my life without playing an MMO since starting with Legends of Kesmai and moving to Asheron's Call then WoW.

Weird since I hated EQ and never even tried EQ2.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Aside from the controller issues, the new consoles are equipped with strong enough hardware to finally support an MMO without clearcutting the graphics engine down to a barren wasteland.

Yeah I didn't mean graphics really, I meant UI. Have they or TESO announced how they are going to handle it?

Like will there just not be a chat box, instead everything will be VOIP? Or will they expect console players to plug in a keyboard and mouse...that's doubtful though.

Didn't Final Fantasy Online do this? How was it handled?

On another note, I never played EQ1. I played very little of EQ2 but just couldn't get into it

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

In the past normally consoles had their own servers for MMOs. Not because of the strength, but because Sony and MS didn't want their games to be merged onto servers with PC / other competitors.

So it may be released on PS4, but it may not be on the same servers as PC players.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have issues:

qVITqHYEoK12R8eXBdn4ipIIHLHpgp8dWArWRuGof78

Serious issues....

Can't see this :(

On your FF9 note; how about not being able to get Excalibur 2 unless you get to Memoria within 12 hours?

/wrists

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
Yeah I didn't mean graphics really, I meant UI. Have they or TESO announced how they are going to handle it?

Like will there just not be a chat box, instead everything will be VOIP? Or will they expect console players to plug in a keyboard and mouse...that's doubtful though.

Didn't Final Fantasy Online do this? How was it handled?

On another note, I never played EQ1. I played very little of EQ2 but just couldn't get into it

Final fantasy was made with the ps2 in mind, the ui and controls were all console optimized, playing on the pc was actually better with a game pad since mouse controls were awful, i played it with the keyboard alone or a ps2 pad.
The game also had a ton of text shortcuts that could be accessed from a menu, or you could get a usb keyboard which is what many ps2 players did.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Keyboard only controls for FFXI worked, but they definitely took some getting used to. And anyone who has played any modern MMO seems to have a lot of difficulty adjusting to it. A few of my friends tried XI after WoW and none of them could get comfortable with not using a mouse.

I think it's efficient and comfortable, but it does limit you to 'keyboard turning' and does prevent the use of a mouse for 'precision' target selection or AoE targeting. So it likely won't suit modern MMO titles.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
Keyboard only controls for FFXI worked, but they definitely took some getting used to. And anyone who has played any modern MMO seems to have a lot of difficulty adjusting to it. A few of my friends tried XI after WoW and none of them could get comfortable with not using a mouse.

I think it's efficient and comfortable, but it does limit you to 'keyboard turning' and does prevent the use of a mouse for 'precision' target selection or AoE targeting. So it likely won't suit modern MMO titles.

Keyboard targetting was a pita in ffxi, if you tried the mouse it was even worse, the hit boxes were pretty odd, PvP was pretty awful with the awkward controls as well

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Does anyone know of tutorials on how to make in game items for games? With so many games starting to come out that allow you to make items in the game, I don't see many videos showing the process. I see people tell you the programs to use (Blender/Gimp), but not the process.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
I know steam has some resources on how to get your models into the game, I'm guessing every other game that supports player content will alsp have it.
As for how to use the modeling software there's a lot of resources around the Web, i remember trying to learn 3ds ages ago but i failed miserably, i have no talent for modeling

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
EQN keynote address is on Friday at this year's SOE Live. Any predictions on what kind of bad news we might receive? Unlike previous EQ games this one will be free to play from the ground up, so who knows what evil that could cause in the game's design.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
EQN keynote address is on Friday at this year's SOE Live. Any predictions on what kind of bad news we might receive? Unlike previous EQ games this one will be free to play from the ground up, so who knows what evil that could cause in the game's design.

I've already written EQ off as a casualty. So far as I'm concerned, its dead.

Heh, checking my OP from a year ago. :(

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Eh, I'll give it a try either way given the chance. I didn't enjoy the gameplay of Landmark but I did enjoy the style at least which I would imagine will not be terribly far off from EQN's.

Feb 4, 2009
I'll try it but I wasn't impressed with Landmarks style. F2P concerns me but that is the way MMOs have to head. Sony seemed to do a good job with Planetside 2 so maybe there is hope.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
This will flop hard. Problem is, they will probably think it's because people don't want MMOs anymore, while the reality (in my case at least) is that I want an MMO like the original EQ, not this Zelda 'double jump!' joke they made.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This will flop hard. Problem is, they will probably think it's because people don't want MMOs anymore, while the reality (in my case at least) is that I want an MMO like the original EQ, not this Zelda 'double jump!' joke they made.

Well, that was tried, with Vanguard, by Everquest creator Brad McQuaid, and it didn't do well. So...

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Yeah, I think people are just tired of WoW clones. I'm seeing several sandbox games on the horizon and it will be interesting to see if any gain a foothold.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Well, that was tried, with Vanguard, by Everquest creator Brad McQuaid, and it didn't do well. So...

I don't see the connection. Vanguard wasn't exactly hard core compared to EQ and it had so many other issues technically and on the management side that I think it's dicey to try and draw a conclusion.

Massively said in a review of ESO recently that they predicted it will flop because people are tired of "story-driven theme-park MMOs." I thought that was an interesting statement. I would certainly be in that category of players, but I don't know if it's the majority. I like online fantasy RPGs in some ways more than single-player, even though the latter are richer in story, but they have become just such utter trash that I don't even consider the possibility that one will be good anymore. They've become literally the archetype of boring. Just follow little pointers around the map and click shit. It's nuts. I'd love to think someone will do a big, gorgeous, open world where you can just get tossed in and explore, fight, loot, and die, but I have no actual hope it will happen. I think it's over.