EverQuest 2 or World of Warcraft?

joshw10

Feb 16, 2004
I'll be picking up either EQ2 or WoW this month. I've played a few MMORPGs before (first EverQuest, Ultima Online, Simutronic MUDs). Any recommendations on which to go with?

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I'm definetly getting WoW. The visual style of EQ2 doesn't appeal to me at all. Also, I've beta tested a few mmorpgs (ragnarok, ffxi, lineage 2, guild wars) and none have hooked me like WoW, so definetly give the open beta a try.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
iono. I'm still deciding which I can make me more money on ebay. :)

I made over $23,000 in my 7 years of Ultima Online. :D

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
Where's the poll?

World of Warcraft definitely, SOE is releasing EQ2 when it truley needs 6 more months of beta testing. I have tested both and WoW definitely is better.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
iono. I'm still deciding which I can make me more money on ebay. :)

I made over $23,000 in my 7 years of Ultima Online. :D

since you quoted it, i notice how badly the sentance was written.

I musta been thinkiing "which i can make more money with" and half way through, changed over to which can make me more money.

ADD at its finest. Wonder if blizzard is goign to pull one of those "you can't sell your sh1t on ebay" things. Or EQ2 for that matter.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
TOS already says in section 7:
7. Selling of Items. Remember, at the outset of these Terms of Use, where we discussed how you were "licensed" the right to use World of Warcraft, and that your license was "limited"? Well, here is one of the more important areas where these license limitations come into effect. Note that Blizzard Entertainment either owns, or has exclusively licensed, all of the content which appears in World of Warcraft. Therefore, no one has the right to "sell" Blizzard Entertainment's content, except Blizzard Entertainment! So Blizzard Entertainment does not recognize any property claims outside of World of Warcraft or the purported "sale" in the "real world" of anything related to World of Warcraft. Accordingly, you may not sell items for "real" money or trade items for things of value outside of World of Warcraft.

VietDude

Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
7. Selling of Items. Remember, at the outset of these Terms of Use, where we discussed how you were "licensed" the right to use World of Warcraft, and that your license was "limited"? Well, here is one of the more important areas where these license limitations come into effect. Note that Blizzard Entertainment either owns, or has exclusively licensed, all of the content which appears in World of Warcraft. Therefore, no one has the right to "sell" Blizzard Entertainment's content, except Blizzard Entertainment! So Blizzard Entertainment does not recognize any property claims outside of World of Warcraft or the purported "sale" in the "real world" of anything related to World of Warcraft. Accordingly, you may not sell items for "real" money or trade items for things of value outside of World of Warcraft.

How about for the time you spend getting the item... LOL

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000

It never stops people.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: paruhd0x

It never stops people.

Making it clear lets them pull the plug on things pretty easily though should it ever get out of hand

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
my god, i was totally addicted to FFXI for like 3 months... i'm looking to try WoW, but with my Halo 2 clan, and HL2, and possibly Halo 2 PC, where will school fit in? :(

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Any truth to the rumor that EQ2 is just built off of the same sh!tpile that is Star Wars Galaxies?

No, to my knowledge they are built off seperate engines. EQ2 has been in development for a great deal longer than SWG ever was too.

I've already got EQ2 on preorder, as that style of fantasy RPGs appeal to me. Blizzard makes great games, and its likely I will pick up WoW as well.

Main problem I see with WoW is that a lot of Bnet Diablo 2 kiddies will be clogging up the servers. :( Minor class annoyances as well.

Aftermath

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2003
Been playing FFXI since last November. Going into World of Warcraft and crapping on the floor on my way out of XI.

May 31, 2001
Just found some material on it while searching for stuff about the engine, sounds like they're launching it when it should be in beta for another six months. Even if the engine isn't like SWG's, it sounds like their strategy is. :p

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
I can't get caught up in this, not now. Too many wasted years playing mmorpgs.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven
Any truth to the rumor that EQ2 is just built off of the same sh!tpile that is Star Wars Galaxies?

The company behind a game plays a huge part in its implementation... and Sony is about as bad as it gets. I watched them rape EverQuest 1, I laughed at the people who didn't know better and spent money on SW:G and Planetside only to complain, and I'll laugh at people who waste dough on EQ2.

If you insist anyway, expect billing errors in their favor, an extreme amount of bugs (most of which will go unfixed), nag screens upon logging in to buy the next expansion or some other Sony product, in-game spam from game masters along the same lines, bad, rushed storylines, content, and expansion content, etc. I can't think of a thing Sony does well except screw people in hopes of financial gain, and ignore the fact that quality sells.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Aftermath
Been playing FFXI since last November. Going into World of Warcraft and crapping on the floor on my way out of XI.

:thumbsup::D

I played FFXI from Nov. 2003 to March 2004. Level 50 white mage, 26 black mage, 18 warrior, 15 thief. What made me quit was the level-cap quests, starting at (go figure) level 50. :|

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
If you want to sell items, your best bet is to sell the items in game for money and then sell it at a lower price to a vendor like those adds you see on sites like rpgexpert. You might only make 50% of what its worth but its the most secure way to do it.

For the 2 games and the original question. Everquest 2 is not finished at this time, I've not played, but most people say that the game has a lot of bugs. Where the games differ majorly (in my opinion) is that you cannot solo in Everquest 2, it is nearly impossible and not worth it. I also heard that it takes months and months to reach level 50. World of Warcraft is different in that you can solo easily enough and leveling up is ridiculous and you can hit 60 in 2 months.

In terms of the rest, both games have a lot of quests and instanced content which is aimed at a much lower amount of people than older games (no need to coordinate 72 people at the same time) so that smaller guilds can advance to see high content without having to give up everything outside the game.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Feneant2
For the 2 games and the original question. Everquest 2 is not finished at this time, I've not played, but most people say that the game has a lot of bugs. Where the games differ majorly (in my opinion) is that you cannot solo in Everquest 2, it is nearly impossible and not worth it. I also heard that it takes months and months to reach level 50. World of Warcraft is different in that you can solo easily enough and leveling up is ridiculous and you can hit 60 in 2 months.

Where did you hear that EQ2 solo play was almost impossible? I've talked to a few beta players, including one I work with, and they tell me its easily possible to solo with most classes.

I played Shadowbane, which has the fastest leveling system of any MMO I've played, and fast leveling has its advantages, but its overall detrimental. Ends up with people just power leveling until they cap then starting a new character or power leveling lower level guild members. Slower leveling has its disadvantages as well, but as long as you have good people to play with and good story line, you always feel like you have something to work for.

BespinReactorShaft

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Originally posted by: joshw10
I'll be picking up either EQ2 or WoW this month. I've played a few MMORPGs before (first EverQuest, Ultima Online, Simutronic MUDs). Any recommendations on which to go with?

Good question. Which one has the better nubiles? ;)