Ever have one of those "holy sh*t! that scared the hell outta me! moments in a game?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
i gotta chime in for an old school creeper that got me for hours - "Seventh Guest" - I remember playing that game along side DOOM and being freaked out as a kid. Resident Evil 1 & 2 got me a few times during late night 3 am sessions.

MrToilet

Feb 28, 2005
I just finished F.E.A.R. (I know, it took me a while, gimme a break :) ) and definitely jumped a little when that dead guy falls out of the ceiling in the Armacham office.

On a funny note, anyone else notice the "T.P.S. Reports" on random desks in that office? And the "Quantity, Quality, Safety, in that order" signs? Cracked me up.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
just watch the video walkthrough of bioshock

save money and get a similar experience of a very linear game for a lot less money
:)

newschool

Jun 20, 2007
stalker. when you are in a tunnel, and there is a mutant at the other end and every times you look at him the screen shakes your vision is blurred and you hear that highpitched sound from hell...

for the first time in a video game i was impressed and i actually said "wow" out loud.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I love being scared, so I've really had a lot of moments like these because I get so engrossed in the moment that it takes hold of me.

Doom3 is really the game that redefined being scared for me. I was scared for such extended periods of time during that game that it actually manifested into my play style, how I walked, how I explored, how I fought. The Cherubs were a real "oh shit" moment for me. I had some serious trouble fighting them in game because I'd sooner fire a rocket into the floor or wall then I'd let one get any closer than 30 feet from me. There is a moment early on in Doom3 where an imp bursts through a staircase right in front of you. That moment, more than any other, made me jump so hard that I nearly knocked my keyboard off my desk. It was early in the game and I was definitely not prepared for it.

2 Classics:
Eternal Darkness bathtub scene
Resident Evil 1 (or 2?) one-way mirror

As far as System Shock 2 goes, I remember that the first time I tried to play it (near when it originally came out), I stopped playing directly after my first oh shit moment in one of the hangars early in the game. It scared the hell out of me. I actually played and beat SS2 in it's entirety after beating Doom3 and having any semblance of fear beaten out of my body. My new perspective made SS2 a lot more enjoyable, although midwives were still freaky as hell.

Also, I agree with most of the others mentioned: Undying, AvP series (I never got further than level 2 in AvP, any campaign), STALKER, etc.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
STALKER - Went on a mission that sent me into the invisible blood sucker infested town.... at night... I could hear one of them fighting a human on the other side of the town and when i got there i found his body but no blood sucker, dispite this i press on into the town only hearing faint sounds of the blood suckers, then in the middle of the town they all converge on me at once, i could hear them all around me but i couldn't see them.... then suddenly they where on me from 2 sides, so i run like hell only to run into more of them, dodge into a building but hit a dead end and have to fight my way out, totally disorianted at this point i run outside to find another one (only kill 2 of them so far) jump up right in front of me, and finally i run like hell with blood suckers in tow -all the while hoping i don't run into an anomaly- out of the town with no health packs left, very little health and a shortage of ammo.

Haha! Yeah! The bloodsuckers really got to me.... Even after I seen them many times they still scared the crap out of me in the end. Also that damned level where you have to shut off the emitter with the timer ticking at the end. It was pitch black for the most part of that "mission" and I constantly expected a bloodsucker to jump out on me, but he never did. It was just zombies and snorks... Such paranoia... lol
S.T.A.L.K.E.R is one of the few games left nowadays that succeed to spook the player with the atmosphere alone - the monsters are just a "bonus". ;)
It's a shame all those conversations between NPCs are in Russian - I can understand them, so I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but people who cant speak Russian missed out on many good jokes and comments. Then again, if these were translated they'd probably loose most of the meaning.

Originally posted by: skace
I love being scared, so I've really had a lot of moments like these because I get so engrossed in the moment that it takes hold of me.

Doom3 is really the game that redefined being scared for me. I was scared for such extended periods of time during that game that it actually manifested into my play style, how I walked, how I explored, how I fought. The Cherubs were a real "oh shit" moment for me. I had some serious trouble fighting them in game because I'd sooner fire a rocket into the floor or wall then I'd let one get any closer than 30 feet from me. There is a moment early on in Doom3 where an imp bursts through a staircase right in front of you. That moment, more than any other, made me jump so hard that I nearly knocked my keyboard off my desk. It was early in the game and I was definitely not prepared for it.

I found Doom 3 to be one of the scariest I ever played... Nothing scared me more than Zombies - Not the fat ones, but the ones wearing yellow suits and missing the lower jaw...
Also those "summoners" that manifest imps freaked me out - it was their eyes... So horrible.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
HL2: Ravenholm had some moments. Hear a slight noise, turn around and one of those high speed buggers are slicing you up already. Shotgun is the only solution.

CitizenSnips

Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Tiamat
HL2: Ravenholm had some moments. Hear a slight noise, turn around and one of those high speed buggers are slicing you up already. Shotgun is the only solution.

The fast skeletal zombie's screaming was what always got me :Q

STALKER's been mentioned a few times, and I'll add any of the parts in the underground labs. Nothing like some added claustrophobia with the darkness and monsters. The freakin' Snorks man...

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
As already mentioned, there are plenty of instances in STALKER that will make you change your underwear.

And I agree with what has been said about AvP 1. The game lacked a few things in the gameplay department, but it was about the scariest thing ever. They did a great job of capturing the Aliens' lethality in that title.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Thief (Gold/Metal Age/Deadly Shadows and Fan Missions) has gotten me several times, and Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines had it's moments.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
First time you see the flood in halo 1, mainily because i used to play that game latenight with my headphones on

skillyho

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2005
I've tried to play through Doom3 more times than I can count, and even though I know the first few stages by heart, they still HORRIFY me each time I go through. I have to play games like that in very short bursts....bad for the blood pressure. Quake 4 is even scary for me. I just can't handle things busting out in my face. :(

The bats on Gears of War scared me the first time I walked in the dark.......and the Berserker debut made me scream like a girl.

The FEAR demo made me permanently dislocate my keyboard tray on my desk.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Resident Evil I when you first enter the room and see the first zombie of the game stooped over and eating brains. As he detects your presence he slowly turns his head to look at you with those dead eyes. Video games changed forever that day.

Doom 3, although disappointing in some respects, had many good moments that made my spine go cold. I had to turn it a off a dozen times late at night.:D

LookingGlass

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2005
Originally posted by: AnonymouseUser
Thief (Gold/Metal Age/Deadly Shadows and Fan Missions) has gotten me several times, and Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines had it's moments.

Also, Undying to that mix. :)

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Doom 3 first 30 minutes (Irritated last 20.5 hours)

Resident Evil 2 when walking through the police station hallway for the second time and the zombies bust in the window.

One funny story though from Doom 3.

I had entered a room through one of the airlocks and heard a zombie groaning in the darkness. So I stayed in the airlock and waited for it to show up at which point I capped it. The ragdoll physics engine then screwed up and the zombie proceded to do the "robot" for the next minute or so before falling to the ground dead. Well that zombie dying was the trigger for Yet Another Frickin Imp (YAFI (TM)) to beam in behind the player. Except I never moved into the room so this Imp beamed in right in front of me with the back of his head to my shotgun :p . The payback was very enjoyable.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Oyeve
First alone in the dark had many moments like that.

The first room of alone in the dark is basically an oh shit moment, lol! Evil game for the time it came out, too bad they can't seem to properly recreate it.

UTFan81

Jan 22, 2008
scariest moment for me was in the F.E.A.R. demo at the ladder. Don't know if that's in the full game still haven't played it.

Techdog

Jan 23, 2008
System Shock 2, the whole game just about. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, in the haunted house. FEAR, pretty much every time that little girl showed up. Especially in the elevator wooah. Remember Sleuth? Was made in like 1985 or something. That gave me nightmares back in the day.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Molondo
One got me good on HL1. At the early start where the room is filled with water and you have to turn the switch off to stop the electricity. Then you proceed in the same room to go to the vent. Well there was a headcrab in it and it jumped out of dark at me and scared the shit out of me.

I was going to post this one if no one else did. Damn near fell backwards out of my chair.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: UTFan81
scariest moment for me was in the F.E.A.R. demo at the ladder. Don't know if that's in the full game still haven't played it.

The entire first level of FEAR is massively scripted, unfortunately they don't keep that attention to detail throughout the game or it would have been a masterpiece. There are moments here and there, but nothing quite like that level.