Ever have one of those "holy sh*t! that scared the hell outta me! moments in a game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
Originally posted by: albatross
avp2 marine

I forgot about that game, AvP 1 imho though was MUCH more creepy. There was no one moment of "OH CRAP", the entire game -as marine- was "OH CRAP.... OH CRAP.... OH CRAP.... OH CRAP.... OH CRAP.... "

Not even what i described in STALKER compares to AVP 1.

both games scared the living crap outta me.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Yes, the pink demons from Doom have scared the liberalism out of me many times. I didn't like Half-Life or 2 because of the same thing. My brain is weird and I startle easily, so I tend to stay away from horror games. I could hurt myself or my computer by spazzing out. Has anyone here played Space Hulk for the PSX? I don't remember it very well, but I know it was very creepy. A bit of a slower burn kind of scary, I think, but still plenty.

*** Spoilers for the movie The Godfather ***

On a side note, the scariest experience I ever had from entertainment was the scene in The Godfather when Michael meets Salazzo and the captain in the restaurant. I imagined myself in Michael's place walking out of the restroom, and what he must be feeling right at that moment, knowing he was about to kill the two men he was having dinner with, having never killed anyone before. A real loaded untraceable gun in your hand. Two defenseless men who have no idea of what you're about to do to them. Two men whose families, in less than a minute, will be deprived of their fathers. Once you squeeze the trigger, a thousand lives change forever.

My heart raced. That was terror, and as close as I ever want to get to that kind of life.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Same here for Bioshock. AVP was definitely one of the scarier games for me... they did an excellent job at scare factor... :)

There are quite a few other games - it mainly depends if I'm immersed in the game or not.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
STALKER - Went on a mission that sent me into the invisible blood sucker infested town.... at night... I could hear one of them fighting a human on the other side of the town and when i got there i found his body but no blood sucker, dispite this i press on into the town only hearing faint sounds of the blood suckers, then in the middle of the town they all converge on me at once, i could hear them all around me but i couldn't see them.... then suddenly they where on me from 2 sides, so i run like hell only to run into more of them, dodge into a building but hit a dead end and have to fight my way out, totally disorianted at this point i run outside to find another one (only kill 2 of them so far) jump up right in front of me, and finally i run like hell with blood suckers in tow -all the while hoping i don't run into an anomaly- out of the town with no health packs left, very little health and a shortage of ammo.

OMFG, those bloodsuckers always freak me out. On my last playthrough I was in the town, looking for them, moving around slowly with a shotgun. Somehow, one got behind me and I jumped when I got hit. Been a while since that happened.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Zeppelin2282
I had 1 "oh shit" moment when playing Bioshock. I think the biggest "oh shit" moment I ever had was playing the FEAR demo. I remember climbing down a ladder, only to face the other way where there was this damn scary ass girl.

yep ... damn scary litle girls

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
umm piggy in manhunt for the ps2. My friends in college told me I had to play this level. I had played parts of the game before and I figured "ehh how bad could it be?" Well they let me play up to it from a few levels back and when I got to it they just said "move around and youll see what to do." They left the room and turned off the light. I was too busy trying to find my way around a level w/ nothing in it to turn it back on. Then all of a sudden BAM! A naked guy with a chainsaw and a severed pigs head for a mask came running at me and scared the living shit out of me. The one guy cranked up the volume when he left too so that didnt help one bit. They came back in and were laughing and said they could hear me yell on the other side of the dorm.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've had and still have to this day such scary moments in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., especially during night time without night-vision goggles (just the flashlight). Just exploring some ruined building (I play with a mod where the A.I is really free roaming, non dependent on the quests at all, they can even break the quests, but I still love it like that, it's a sandbox of pure chaotic events, nothing is predictable or almost) gives me the goose bumps up my spine.

And EACH time I go inside Lab X-18 I have a very unpleasant feeling of being observed. I KNOW I've killed all the Soldiers and Poltergeists, I am physically alone. But the very sounds and atmosphere of that damn place is creepy I tell you. I don't know what it is, the developers really made it like they advertised it, a man-made-hell, a scary one of course, and dangerous too. I swear I always turn back and look if I might not have forgotten on of them. Usually I just go up the stairs to go back on the surface as soon as I can. In fact I try my best to completely avoid that lab. On the other hand, strangely, Lab X-16 isn't that creepy.

Another place I HATE going to is the sewers under Agroprom. At first it's "ok" against the humans. But as soon as you go down that spiral stairs and go deeper into the sewers you start hearing more random atmospheric sounds and it forces you to stay on guard and not to mention on your nerves too, always ready to jump outta your chair at the first sudden bite or blow in your back (think Bloodsuckers, those damn things have to be the most annoying enemies in any game I've played).

I also remember having I think one or two such moments in DOOM 3, during my first play through. All events and enemies are scripted and predictable when you play for the second time, but the first time you don't know what's going to happen. I wasn't scared by the "out of that random corner" enemies, but more by well made scripted scenes, such as the first time you encounter one of those big arse demonic dogs (more like boar on mega steroids though). That thing rips through metal and glass to get you in that scene, and each steps makes the screen shake. I really liked that moment but it did scared me, I just didn't expect it. Other than that I'd have to search more extensively in my memory, I know I could remember more stuff like that but those moments I described above are carved in my mind for eternity.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the win.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
STALKER - Went on a mission that sent me into the invisible blood sucker infested town.... at night... I could hear one of them fighting a human on the other side of the town and when i got there i found his body but no blood sucker, dispite this i press on into the town only hearing faint sounds of the blood suckers, then in the middle of the town they all converge on me at once, i could hear them all around me but i couldn't see them.... then suddenly they where on me from 2 sides, so i run like hell only to run into more of them, dodge into a building but hit a dead end and have to fight my way out, totally disorianted at this point i run outside to find another one (only kill 2 of them so far) jump up right in front of me, and finally i run like hell with blood suckers in tow -all the while hoping i don't run into an anomaly- out of the town with no health packs left, very little health and a shortage of ammo.

nicE:cool:

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Doom 3 - I tried playing it through on the hardest without using a duct-tape mod for the flashlight... the first time I died it made me jump. Then Bioshock, and a little of STALKER(jesus this game is creepy!)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Constantly in Alien vs Predator 2.
Never in Doom3.
Sometimes in American McGees Alice.
Also had them in Bad Mojo.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Silent Hill 3
Thief 3: Shalebridge Cradle level

Definitely the two games where I had "creeped out" moments.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Lots of times in FEAR - the ladder part someone mentioned, the spider-walk thing, other parts. In general I just get really stressed out playing this game in the later levels and have to go in short spurts.

Not really scared in Bioshock for the most part, but there are some creepy parts.

Doom3 in the part that zenoth mentioned - the big pink demon dog charging at you when you're in that little room.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I think that moment you just described is scripted. I had it happen to me too. And yes, it made me jump. Because he didn't attack at first - he just stared face-to-face.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
Freespace 2 - the nebula level when the first Ravana class destroyer jumps in directly in front of you - but you can't see it - just this massive radar return that fills your entire screen.

Then through the mist you see its forward beam cannons charging up, and the flak shells flying at you. The initial volley annhilates the corvettes you were just assisting pwn hordes of smaller vessels. Definitely one of the most intense reversals in that whole game. You go from being top dog, untouchable, to running scared.

God I love that game. I have to go back and replay it at least once a year. EPIC win for FS2 Open! Best sci-fi space sim ever.

~MiSfit

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
There is a difference between moments that make you jump and moments that actually scare you. Doom 3 made most people jump for the first 30 minutes until they became used to entering a room, killing everything then turning around to kill the newly spawned mobs behind them.

The game that actually manages to scare the player is very rare, very very rare. The Haunted Hotel quest in VTM: Bloodlines and a few moments in System Shock 2 are the only moments that actually scared me. Although, there were times when I was playing Phantasmagoria when I was younger that I actually had nightmares from the game.

It should also be noted that games can only scare you once and only once.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Wow, I was just going to mention that one (Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - that damn haunted hotel :frown:!).

- Various F.E.A.R.-esque moments where the murdered little girl's ghost started showing up randomly
- Walking up the stairs and getting suddenly dropped through the floorboards into the basement
- The falling elevator in the shaft
- The house (esp. the kitchen) coming to life and flinging cleavers, pots, and pans at you
- Various vases coming to life and exploding in your face
- The disturbing newspaper clippings/diary entries (esp. the decapitated head in the washing machine one)

Did I miss anything?

Edit: Btw, why exactly is it that creepy little girls are always, unfailingly spooky :confused:?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Wow, I was just going to mention that one (Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - that damn haunted hotel :frown:!).

- Various F.E.A.R.-esque moments where the murdered little girl's ghost started showing up randomly
- Walking up the stairs and getting suddenly dropped through the floorboards into the basement
- The falling elevator in the shaft
- The house (esp. the kitchen) coming to life and flinging cleavers, pots, and pans at you
- Various vases coming to life and exploding in your face
- The disturbing newspaper clippings/diary entries (esp. the decapitated head in the washing machine one)

Did I miss anything?

-Apparitions of the husband and wife
-Subdued voices
-Entering a hotel room with children's toys, watching the toy train roll out of the room, then entering the room again moments later to find the toys smashed and messages written in blood on the wall.

imported_sushicide

Jun 20, 2005
First time meeting a controller in STALKER was scary as hell, I was walking along in the dark & damp sewer then my screen suddenly turned real fuzzy and something behind me let out a loud inhuman scream, it looked like the monster was sucking my soul out and couldn't even aim my rifle properly, I must've thrown 3-4 grenades at it while panicking like a moron.

brandonr23

Sep 3, 2005
I've just started Condemned:Criminal Origins and it's had some shocking moments so far, the atmosphere is chilling.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: sushicide
First time meeting a controller in STALKER was scary as hell, I was walking along in the dark & damp sewer then my screen suddenly turned real fuzzy and something behind me let out a loud inhuman scream, it looked like the monster was sucking my soul out and couldn't even aim my rifle properly, I must've thrown 3-4 grenades at it while panicking like a moron.

I had the same thing. Those things are weird, lethal and evil. A bit scared yes, adrenaline was pumping.

AvP1 is the worst. Unlimited Alien spawnings in some locations means ultra intense, scary action.