Ever have one of those "holy sh*t! that scared the hell outta me! moments in a game?

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
So I am in the dental office and I am searching around and I just found the speed hack, I continue to look around the table just nosing, taking my time, (after all i killed everyone on the level...right?) and I turn around and there is a slicer right behind me just standing there, I never heard him, he never swung at me but is scared the living hell outta me....made the hair stand up on the back of my neck...I love those little 'gotcha!' moments.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I had a couple when I played Condemned: Criminal Origins. That game really freaked me out.

KT

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Is Bioshock on the PC worth it? I don't have a 360 and only played the demo. It was ok but nothing great. Is the full game better?

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I was not too impressed with the demo either....I mean it was ok but I was hoping for a little more....and the full game delivers IMO.

The graphics are great, the atmosphere is creepy, the story line is interesting and although it takes place in the 60's it give me the feel of a 20's or 30's timeline, the hacking of bots and machines is fun, there are secrets and little nooks and crannies you need to look for to find items and you can either play a bad guy or good guy....I am really enjoying it the more I play.

If you can get it for a good price pick it up.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Same thing happened to me in the same spot in Bioshock. But that paled in comparison to how much my heart jumped in a later part of the game. :laugh:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
IMO it was overrated. An atmospheric shooter but doesn't transcend the genre. Worth $25 though.

spunkz

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
haha, happened to me too. you usually hear them coming from two rooms away but once or twice they just sneak up on you.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
I had a couple when I played Condemned: Criminal Origins. That game really freaked me out.

KT

I was just about to mention this game.

Don't give away any spoilers, but Condmened is an awesome game. The suspense and scary factor has been steadily increasing. I'm at the apple orchard and so far this game rocks.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Fatal frame kept me in suspense in it's entirety, and the sudden scare factors were intense.

EDIT: Also, Resident Evil 4 had some good scares. Oven man, the invisible monsters, the hound-infested maze, and the regenerators are a few.

Kromis

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Dumac
Fatal frame kept me in suspense in it's entirety, and the sudden scare factors were intense.

EDIT: Also, Resident Evil 4 had some good scares. Oven man, the invisible monsters, the hound-infested maze, and the regenerators are a few.

Scared the living daylights out of me!

Btw, I prefer to say "Oh sh*t!" rather than "holy sh*t!"

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I had 1 "oh shit" moment when playing Bioshock. I think the biggest "oh shit" moment I ever had was playing the FEAR demo. I remember climbing down a ladder, only to face the other way where there was this damn scary ass girl.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
STALKER - Went on a mission that sent me into the invisible blood sucker infested town.... at night... I could hear one of them fighting a human on the other side of the town and when i got there i found his body but no blood sucker, dispite this i press on into the town only hearing faint sounds of the blood suckers, then in the middle of the town they all converge on me at once, i could hear them all around me but i couldn't see them.... then suddenly they where on me from 2 sides, so i run like hell only to run into more of them, dodge into a building but hit a dead end and have to fight my way out, totally disorianted at this point i run outside to find another one (only kill 2 of them so far) jump up right in front of me, and finally i run like hell with blood suckers in tow -all the while hoping i don't run into an anomaly- out of the town with no health packs left, very little health and a shortage of ammo.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: albatross
avp2 marine

I forgot about that game, AvP 1 imho though was MUCH more creepy. There was no one moment of "OH CRAP", the entire game -as marine- was "OH CRAP.... OH CRAP.... OH CRAP.... OH CRAP.... OH CRAP.... "

Not even what i described in STALKER compares to AVP 1.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The only such moments I have had were in particularly hard games or levels, due to the difficulty of the gameplay. That includes a number of old arcade games from the early 90s. There is nothing like have no extra lives left but getting further than you have ever gotten before in one of those space invaders clones, only to see some insane boss pop out at you in the next level that you don't have a chance in hell of beating. :p Among more recent games, the only cases I can think of are some of the hardest areas in the Thief and Splinter Cell games, for similar reasons.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
several games, but Bioshock scared me a few times as well.
i was in one room where it like fogs up real quick or something and you can't see. i was after a safe or something and i turn around and to leave and there's a splicer just standing right behind me. scared the shit out of me!

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
Yeah, definitely in Thief 1: The Dark Project. The first time I came across Zombies my heart rate jumped up 100 beats.

But it was the Haunts that really got to me. Anyone who has played the game will tell you the Haunts are the most frightening in the game.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Ultralight
Yeah, definitely in Thief 1: The Dark Project. The first time I came across Zombies my heart rate jumped up 100 beats.

But it was the Haunts that really got to me. Anyone who has played the game will tell you the Haunts are the most frightening in the game.

Speaking of Thief series ... III - DS has an intense level - Shalebridge Cradle ... set in an abandoned children's orphanage turned into an insane asylum. ... very spooky and awesome *intense* atmosphere.
:Q

Hellgate:London also has those Doom-type jump-at-you surprises ... but i much prefer *atmosphere* as in ThiefDS/AvPII[marine]

BioShock and left me bored and cold

i have Condemned:Criminal Origins sitting here on my short list of unplayed games... should it be next?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

If they're the same as in Thief 2, I never thought much of them. At least in that game, I think you only encounter them one at a time and it's easy to creep behind them like any of the normal guys. IIRC there were some turrets in one area in the last level that I found more "scary", simply because it seemed to be just about impossible to survive in there without them noticing you.

I guess I've never found any game to be hair raising at all for just the atmosphere. Tough (but addictive) gameplay is what does it for me. :p

brandonr23

Sep 3, 2005
Half Life 2 got me a few times with random single zombies poppin up out of a puddle, and a few spot in Ravenholm. Bioshock got me a few times as well. That dental office scene was the creepiest though, just standing there staring at you, not talking or moving.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
System Shock 2, in a dark room, low on ammo, weapon in horrible condition, and I heard the groan of a cyborg right behind me...

I literally jumped in my chair.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
The first time I played doom and those pink monsters jumped onto the screen. :)