Eve Online

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
After reading through this thread and EvE's website, I decided that I had to try this game. I just downloaded the trial and have been reading through some basic game info, but I'm still very unsure of the difference between the various races and character attributes. Could anyone link me a quality guide on character creation?

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
Not sure if this is the best way, but it is what I did.

I went caldari because they have the best miniing ships at the very beginning. They also have good pve Ships.

This lets you get used to the gameplay a little. I did this so i could mine a lot to get money and understanding how 'fitting' ships work and the basic controls.

Then I started pve to understand how combat works. pve is way different from pvp (pvp is the mainstay of eve) but at least you can understand what is weak against what and how general combat stuff works.

I am now working toward getting the skills to be a tackler (the first thing in pvp you want to be because it is the fastest to get to) so that i can join a pvp corporation and advance from there.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
Oh, as far as stats go - int -willpower and what not... Make them all pretty much even, but charisma is the least important.

All stats affect how fast you learn skills...nothing else. Some skills use different stats to learn though.

most mining and manufacturer stuff uses mem/int and most combat uses willpower/perception.

higher in the learning trees they use multiple stats, for example... mem AND perception...Willpower AND intelligence... etc...

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
First off, Amarr do not suck in pvp. The Abaddon (Tier 3 Battleship) has the best non-capital/non-faction ship tank in the game. Amarr BS's also put out the highest DPS in sniper fleets. The reason why caldari suck in PvP is not because of missles but due to the need of tackle/ew modules taking away from their tank (since they both are in mid slots). The recent torpedo changes though make ravens one of the best close range BS though due to the massive damage they can put out. A nano-Drake using Heavy Assult Launcher IIs can put out more then 500DPS. Caldari ECM though is better then anyone else.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: RedChief
First off, Amarr do not suck in pvp. The Abaddon (Tier 3 Battleship) has the best non-capital/non-faction ship tank in the game. Amarr BS's also put out the highest DPS in sniper fleets. The reason why caldari suck in PvP is not because of missles but due to the need of tackle/ew modules taking away from their tank (since they both are in mid slots). The recent torpedo changes though make ravens one of the best close range BS though due to the massive damage they can put out. A nano-Drake using Heavy Assult Launcher IIs can put out more then 500DPS. Caldari ECM though is better then anyone else.

fyi newbies won't understand a word of that =)

Oct 25, 2006

I play Cadari and I love it. The Reason that Caldari suck for PVP is in fact missiles. Even if the Raven is awesome , 1 ship does not make an entire race.

Also, every other race has a slot tradeoff problem too. For other races, the dilema is to either fit tank or DPS, because they use Lows for both. However caldari which is more like tank v DPS v EW. This applies most to the Drake, as the entire Shiled Power Relay vs BCS dilema.

Also, missiles have like the lowest DPS of weapon systems, and are usually the reason why Caldar ships are usually targeted last..

Also, I think the Rohk is better than the Abbadon at sniping.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
Originally posted by: BadRobot
fyi newbies won't understand a word of that =)

Ok..i'll newbie explain it....

[/quote]

First off, Amarr do not suck in pvp. The Abaddon (Tier 3 Battleship) has the best non-capital/non-faction ship tank in the game.

Amarr - race whos ships relies on armor (not shields) and use lasers. In contrast to Minmatar who have some ships that armor tank and some that shield tank and use projectile weapons (auto cannons, artillery) along with missles. Gallente - armor tankers, use hybrid weapons (blasters, railguns). Caldari - shield tankers, use missles or hybrid weapons.

Tier 3 Battleships are the newest model of battleships so better then previous models. Capital ships are Dreadnaughts, Carriers, etcs. Faction ships are very expensive ships that have more shields/armor/resists/module slots.

Originally posted by: RedChiefAmarr BS's also put out the highest DPS in sniper fleets.

Sniper fleets - exactly what it sounds like. Shooting a target 150KM+ away. Most close up battles are within 20km distance.

Originally posted by: RedChiefThe reason why caldari suck in PvP is not because of missles but due to the need of tackle/ew modules taking away from their tank (since they both are in mid slots).

Ships have high slots for guns, mid slots for electronic warfare modules or shield tanking modules and low slots for armor tanking mods or weapon upgrades (for more damage).

Originally posted by: RedChief The recent torpedo changes though make ravens one of the best close range BS though due to the massive damage they can put out. A nano-Drake using Heavy Assult Launcher IIs can put out more then 500DPS. Caldari ECM though is better then anyone else.

nano = ship mods that reduce the mass of the ship allowing it to go faster and make tighter turns. ECM = electronic counter measures, basically allowing one ship to keep mutple other ships from being able to target.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
I play Cadari and I love it. The Reason that Caldari suck for PVP is in fact missiles. Even if the Raven is awesome , 1 ship does not make an entire race.

Also, every other race has a slot tradeoff problem too. For other races, the dilema is to either fit tank or DPS, because they use Lows for both. However caldari which is more like tank v DPS v EW. This applies most to the Drake, as the entire Shiled Power Relay vs BCS dilema.

Also, missiles have like the lowest DPS of weapon systems, and are usually the reason why Caldar ships are usually targeted last..

Also, I think the Rohk is better than the Abbadon at sniping.

If your running a drake for DPS, then your not going to run a passive tank. A Cap Injected active tank will work fine. The Tier3 BSs allow for fitting a tank and dps.

As to the Rohk, since it has no damage bonus it falls behind every other sniping BS out there (ie - Tempest, Mealstorm, Megathorn, Hyperion, Abbadon and Armageddon).

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well, I chose what I did just to learn the game. As someone on the EvE VN board called it, being a lemming. I'm thinking PvE combat missions as my main focus for now so my choices will be fine. If I decide to stick with the game (Its a hard steep learning curve) after the free trial I can always make another character for PvP or whatever I might want to do.

I havent had a lot of time to play and I havent joined a corporation yet neither. Just sorta going through the tutorials on my own. The EveMon program is rather nice to have. I dont fully understand all its abilities yet but so far its been helpful tracking my skills and what have you. The newbie channel in game is a mess. So much spamming and scrolling that any questions usually get missed or unanswered. I found asking in local to be more effective. I definetely need to get into a corporation. :D

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Michael
Here is a link on recommended starting characters:

http://wiki.goonfleet.com/inde...ended_Base_Stat_Builds

The 2 most important attributes are Perception (Weapons and Ships) and Intelligence (many key support skills).

The least important is Charisma.

Michael

Thanks a ton for that link, it explained a lot too me. I'm fairly sure at this point that I want to go with the Caldari PVP build outlined on that page. However, the skill points allocation is a bit confusing to me. On the recommended skills training page, it lists 3 different orders of learning skills that would appear to apply to me, and I'm unsure of how to follow this.

It lists first:

Basic Propulsion Jamming Skills

1. Electronics I
2. Electronics II
3. Electronics III
4. Navigation I
5. Navigation II
6. Propulsion Jamming I
7. Propulsion Jamming II

Baasic Microwarpdrive Skills

1. Afterburner I
2. Engineering I
3. Engineering II
4. Mechanic I
5. Hull Upgrades I
6. Engineering III
7. Science I
8. Energy Grid Upgrades I
9. Energy Grid Upgrades II
10. Afterburner II
11. Navigation III
12. Afterburner III
13. Navigation IV
14. Afterburner IV
15. High Speed Maneuvering I
16. High Speed Maneuvering II
17. High Speed Maneuvering III

and then

1. Instant Recall I
2. Analytical Mind I
3. Learning I
4. Instant Recall II
5. Analytical Mind II
6. Learning II
7. Instant Recall III
8. Analytical Mind III
9. Learning III
10. Instant Recall IV
11. Analytical Mind IV
12. Learning IV
13. Spacial Awareness I-IV, Iron Will I-IV, Empathy I-III. The order these 3 skills are trained in does not matter.

and last the race related skills:

1. Caldari Frigate I (29 minutes, 24 seconds)
2. Caldari Frigate II (2 hours, 17 minutes)
3. Caldari Frigate III (12 hours, 54 minutes, 45 seconds)
4. Caldari Frigate IV (3 days, 1 hour, 2 minutes, 56 seconds)
5. Caldari Cruiser I (1 hour, 13 minutes, 31 seconds)
6. Caldari Cruiser II (5 hours, 42 minutes, 28 seconds)
7. Navigation I (18 minutes, 31 seconds)
8. Afterburner I (18 minutes, 31 seconds)
9. Weapon Upgrades I (34 minutes, 28 seconds)
10. Missile Launcher Operation I(14 minutes, 42 seconds)
11. Missile Launcher Operation II (1 hour, 8 minutes, 31 seconds)
12. Standard Missiles I (29 minutes, 24 seconds)
13. Standard Missiles II (2 hours, 17 minutes)
14. Standard Missiles III (12 hours, 54 minutes, 45 seconds)
15. Missile Launcher Operation III (6 hours, 27 minutes, 21 seconds)
16. Heavy Missiles I (44 minutes, 7 seconds)
17. Engineering I (21 minutes, 44 seconds)
18. Engineering II (1 hour, 41 minutes, 18 seconds)
19. Shield Upgrades I(43 minutes, 28 seconds)
20. Drones I (20 minutes)
21. Scout Drone Operation I(20 minutes)

So, do I want to train these in this order? The site didn't seem all that clear on this.

Thanks

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
My suggestion is to alternate between the learning skills and the "racial" skills Learning skills really makes your training faster over time. However, the other skills let you do things.

If you decide to move past a trial account, contact me in game and I'll give you more help. Character name is Myrdin Potter

Michael

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well, I've become pretty fustrated with the extreme difficulty of the game. Saying it has a steep learning curve is saying it nicely. Figuring out the basic things of the game is even difficult. Getting help is difficult. The newbie channel has no less than 300 people day or night all asking questions so often your questions dont even get seen. I've seen as many as 3,000 people in this channel. Local channel is a little better but people from the newbie channels are discovering this too and going there. Corporations wont take you unless you have finished the 14 day trial so there is no help from that area. I have played alot of games in my time but never one so complex or difficult to figure out even when it comes to just the basics. All this leads to utter fustration which leads to me just logging out in in anger. At this point I dont think I'll be taking this game further. Visually the game is awesome but if a person cant even do basic things without extreme difficulty then its not fun. In some ways I feel I have failed in this game but at the same time I feel the game failed me too. I guess its not for me.

I'm not looking to put the game down or anything like that but I would highly suggest to the unitiated that are looking to try the game to only do so if you know someone (friend) that already has the game with a knowledge of it or a guild thats already involved in it and willing to take you on and basically hold your hand in the opening days or weeks. you will need it. Just my suggestion anyway. Otherwise the fustration level is going to be exceedingly high.

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Skott
Well, I've become pretty fustrated with the extreme difficulty of the game. Saying it has a steep learning curve is saying it nicely. Figuring out the basic things of the game is even difficult. Getting help is difficult. The newbie channel has no less than 300 people day or night all asking questions so often your questions dont even get seen. I've seen as many as 3,000 people in this channel. Local channel is a little better but people from the newbie channels are discovering this too and going there. Corporations wont take you unless you have finished the 14 day trial so there is no help from that area. I have played alot of games in my time but never one so complex or difficult to figure out even when it comes to just the basics. All this leads to utter fustration which leads to me just logging out in in anger. At this point I dont think I'll be taking this game further. Visually the game is awesome but if a person cant even do basic things without extreme difficulty then its not fun. In some ways I feel I have failed in this game but at the same time I feel the game failed me too. I guess its not for me.

I'm not looking to put the game down or anything like that but I would highly suggest to the unitiated that are looking to try the game to only do so if you know someone (friend) that already has the game with a knowledge of it or a guild thats already involved in it and willing to take you on and basically hold your hand in the opening days or weeks. you will need it. Just my suggestion anyway. Otherwise the fustration level is going to be exceedingly high.

Did you do the tutorial?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Cheesetogo
Originally posted by: Michael
Here is a link on recommended starting characters:

http://wiki.goonfleet.com/inde...ended_Base_Stat_Builds

The 2 most important attributes are Perception (Weapons and Ships) and Intelligence (many key support skills).

The least important is Charisma.

Michael

Thanks a ton for that link, it explained a lot too me. I'm fairly sure at this point that I want to go with the Caldari PVP build outlined on that page. However, the skill points allocation is a bit confusing to me. On the recommended skills training page, it lists 3 different orders of learning skills that would appear to apply to me, and I'm unsure of how to follow this.

**snip**

So, do I want to train these in this order? The site didn't seem all that clear on this.

Thanks

Do the learning skills first ! They'll save you time in the long run when it comes to training the rest of your skills. The next thing you should do IMHO is train all your skills required to equip that cruiser you seem to be heading towards. The last thing you should train is the ship type you want to fly. You want to make sure you have the proper skills to equip it and fly it half-way decent .

What good is that ship to you if you can't equip anything useful because you don't have the proper skills trained? IMHO you should after training your learning skills do anything electronic related that lowers your cpu, and power grid needs for your ship, shields, and equipment you are going to outfit that cruiser. Then move onto training your salvaging skills. The reason why you want to be able to salvage stuff is because you want to get the most out of your wrecks ISK wise to support your PvP'ing side.

Once you can properly salvage from a wreck move onto targeting, weapons, shield/armor, navigation and last Electronic warfare related skills. Make sure you do not over do it though. You should download and use EVEMon to plan out what you want to train and the order you want to train it. Also look up pvp specs for outfitting the ship you are aiming for. Make sure you train only for the items you are going to use and equip.

P.S. Never fly or equip anything you cannot afford to lose. Always update your clone and insure your ship.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

The best place for search for help and ask questions IMHO are the EVE forums IMHO.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Drift3r

The best place for search for help and ask questions IMHO are the EVE forums IMHO.

The EvE forums are nice but there are some nice unofficial forums. I personally like ScrapHeap challenge (http://www.scrapheap-challenge.com .

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
vidicator blasterthron pwns all. lets just say that. you cannot and will not win against that ship, if its piloted by someone who's even half skilled in pvp. its too quick, and deals out far more damage than you can even imagine. gallente bs's ftw.

edit: and im saying this from experience. i have encountered a vidicator in lowsec and he had one frigate alt. vs 4-5 misc race bs's. we didn't win. the guy pwned our happy asses back to n00b-land.(i think i mentioned this before in this thread. we all had on average from 7-14mil sp, and all experienced pvp and warmongers)

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Drift3r - training learning skills first is the best long term plan, but too boring for new players. So I always suggest rotating between Learning and something that lets them fight or mine better.

Michael

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Truenofan
vidicator blasterthron pwns all. lets just say that. you cannot and will not win against that ship, if its piloted by someone who's even half skilled in pvp. its too quick, and deals out far more damage than you can even imagine. gallente bs's ftw.

edit: and im saying this from experience. i have encountered a vidicator in lowsec and he had one frigate alt. vs 4-5 misc race bs's. we didn't win. the guy pwned our happy asses back to n00b-land.(i think i mentioned this before in this thread. we all had on average from 7-14mil sp, and all experienced pvp and warmongers)

Lies. The Raven has a good chance of beating one now. Oh sure. The Blasterthron might outdamage the Raven at 1 km, but the Raven can pound the Blasterthron at 30 km with over 1000 DPS. It might be less if one uses Javalins, but when you go to normal Rage Torps, its another extra 50-150 dps.

And if 4 ships couldn't defeat one ship, something is wrong. Unless the Ship is some ECM that perma Jammed all of you, which wouldn't matter because drones would own that ship or the guy happens to be in a Titan. A T2 battleship isn't somehow so magically powerful that it can survive 4 good battleships against it.

Also, Golem > All.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Truenofan

Lies. The Raven has a good chance of beating one now. Oh sure. The Blasterthron might outdamage the Raven at 1 km, but the Raven can pound the Blasterthron at 30 km with over 1000 DPS. It might be less if one uses Javalins, but when you go to normal Rage Torps, its another extra 50-150 dps.

And if 4 ships couldn't defeat one ship, something is wrong. Unless the Ship is some ECM that perma Jammed all of you, which wouldn't matter because drones would own that ship or the guy happens to be in a Titan. A T2 battleship isn't somehow so magically powerful that it can survive 4 good battleships against it.

Also, Golem > All.

Actually the Vindicator is just a faction battleship, granted it packs a fair amount of firepower and a decent tank. However if it came nose to nose with some T2 battleships, namely the Kronos or the Golem it would likely end up getting popped. Mainly since the Kronos can dish out 1800 dps with a properly skilled pilot.

Edit: Btw I personally consider 7-14 mil on the low end of the scale when it comes to pvping. Average pvper in my corp has about 20 mil sp with some of our players having around 40-50 mil sp.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Hi guys, I just downloaded the trial and I'm really overwhelmed by the game. I checked out the official forums for the past few weeks, but I'm still very unclear as to how one proceeds through the game and the relationship between industry (mining, trading, whatever) and combat. Do most industrialists also engage in combat? How does one go about settling on a 'profession'?

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Hi guys, I just downloaded the trial and I'm really overwhelmed by the game. I checked out the official forums for the past few weeks, but I'm still very unclear as to how one proceeds through the game and the relationship between industry (mining, trading, whatever) and combat. Do most industrialists also engage in combat? How does one go about settling on a 'profession'?
Eve is a very newb unfriendly game, but stick with it for 2 weeks to see how you like it.

Industrialists do not usually engage in Combat. There are many set skills in eve that show your profession. If your an industrialist, you should get trading and mining skills, while Combat oriented people get combat oriented skills.

You just choose what you want to do. Of course, if you want a combat character, you want a character as high as perception as possible.

Later in the game though, industrials and combat skill can cross over if you want, but this takes a LONG time.

First things first, join a corp. Eve university is good, but a good corp can help you get set in Eve very quickly

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Eve is a very newb unfriendly game, but stick with it for 2 weeks to see how you like it.

Industrialists do not usually engage in Combat. There are many set skills in eve that show your profession. If your an industrialist, you should get trading and mining skills, while Combat oriented people get combat oriented skills.

You just choose what you want to do. Of course, if you want a combat character, you want a character as high as perception as possible.

Later in the game though, industrials and combat skill can cross over if you want, but this takes a LONG time.

First things first, join a corp. Eve university is good, but a good corp can help you get set in Eve very quickly

Most corporations don't seem to like trial guys like me, so I'll work on joining one once my trial is over.

As for the industrialist / combat thing, I guess I'm confused. It seems to me like the game is relatively open-ended and that any character can end up doing anything. I understand that what you start with at the beginning helps, but it's tough because I honestly don't know what I'll find fun or not (if any of it).

It all seems so complicated.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
My corp (I'm a director) will take you 1 minute after you're not a trial player. So eve mail Myrdin Potter is you want to join a corp used to having new players.

And PvP is part of Eve. Industrialists may not fight as a normal part of their playing, but PvP is a core activity and everyone should be able to fight. So we teach everyone that wants to learn how to and strongly suggest it.

Michael