Eve Online

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I'm about halfway through the trial now, and I'll be subscribing after it's over, I think.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
Welcome to Eve!

My corp just put up our first two Player Owned Station (POS) in .3 space. We're a fairly new corp but with a few savvy vets to keep it interesting. Been playing it for a couple of months now and I'm enjoying it a lot. Just got into a Scorpion (Caldari EWAR Battleship), but I need an additional 60 days of training to be a very good EWAR pilot. And by the end of the weekend I'll be flying a Kitsune (Caldari EWAR Frigate) to help in small gang tactics.

That's the great thing about Eve. No matter what your role, there's always a place for you in a corporation.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Originally posted by: Truenofan
vidicator blasterthron pwns all. lets just say that. you cannot and will not win against that ship, if its piloted by someone who's even half skilled in pvp. its too quick, and deals out far more damage than you can even imagine. gallente bs's ftw.

edit: and im saying this from experience. i have encountered a vidicator in lowsec and he had one frigate alt. vs 4-5 misc race bs's. we didn't win. the guy pwned our happy asses back to n00b-land.(i think i mentioned this before in this thread. we all had on average from 7-14mil sp, and all experienced pvp and warmongers)

Lies. The Raven has a good chance of beating one now. Oh sure. The Blasterthron might outdamage the Raven at 1 km, but the Raven can pound the Blasterthron at 30 km with over 1000 DPS. It might be less if one uses Javalins, but when you go to normal Rage Torps, its another extra 50-150 dps.

And if 4 ships couldn't defeat one ship, something is wrong. Unless the Ship is some ECM that perma Jammed all of you, which wouldn't matter because drones would own that ship or the guy happens to be in a Titan. A T2 battleship isn't somehow so magically powerful that it can survive 4 good battleships against it.

Also, Golem > All.

Actually the Vindicator is just a faction battleship, granted it packs a fair amount of firepower and a decent tank. However if it came nose to nose with some T2 battleships, namely the Kronos or the Golem it would likely end up getting popped. Mainly since the Kronos can dish out 1800 dps with a properly skilled pilot.

Edit: Btw I personally consider 7-14 mil on the low end of the scale when it comes to pvping. Average pvper in my corp has about 20 mil sp with some of our players having around 40-50 mil sp.
Umm kronos dishes out 1800dps while tanking? umm... I don't see it. Actually I don't see it at all because a 3x magstab Kronos still dishes out around 1300 dps.

The Kronos is pretty much a hyperion with better resists and couple other better bonuses.

I'd say that while Kronos is pretty nice the differences between the vindi and the Kronos aren't that large. One is overall faster and has great agility but the Krono has the better web. Undeniably however the kronos is easier to fit than the vindicator. Vindicator makes up for t2 resists and 8th turret with 50m3 more drones, 1 more rig slot

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
i just started playing again, someone wanted a friend to play with and footed my subscription bills so :)

i used to just do missions in safe space, but I dunno what I'll do now, I pilot gallente ishkur/domni but I want to give the new gallente BC a try, I haven't played in over a year and a half and am eager to test it out...

Oct 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Cheesetogo
So, do I want to train these in this order? The site didn't seem all that clear on this.
Thanks
Much of Goonfleet's recruiting is straight from the SomethingAwful forums. So GoonFleet gets a lot of brand new guys who go straight into fleet battles their first week. The page you're referencing assumes you want to roll a character, and be useful in a fleet battle as soon as possible. With that in mind, it's assumed you're going to get the propulsion jamming and WMD skills polished off before you start the month-long learning grind. That way, while your learning skills are training, you can still participate in ops.

A couple things you need to realize about learning skills:
1) The sooner you train them, the better. They make all subsequent training much faster.
2) Training learning skills increases certain stats, and those stats will effect the training of other learning skills. The order that they are given on the GonnFleet wiki is the optimal order.
3) Learning skills are among the least exciting skills in the game. You don't get access to any new mods or ships. You don't do more DPS. You don't go fly faster.
4) Learning skills will take a month to train.
5) The learning skill page in the goon wiki does not account for implants. Get cybernetics trained, and slap in a nice set of +1s. Then, when you can afford it, get a set of +2s, and later, +3s.
6) There are 2 tiers of learning skills: basic, and advanced. You need to train a basic skill to level 4 before you can train it's advanced counterpart. I suggest training to basic 4, advanced 4. It used to be that you had to train the basic skill to 5, before training the advanced skill, but they changed it.

(1) Dictates that you should train your learning skills as soon as possible. However, a combination of (3) and (4) ensure that anyone who is new to the game will quit before ever giving the game a chance, if they start the learning grind too early.

I suggest:
1) training all basic learning skills to 3
2) then reward yourself with a non-learning skill
3) train a single basic learning skill (or "Learning" itself) 4
4) then train it's advanced counterpart to 3.
5) then reward yourself with a non-learning skill
6) repeat steps 3 through 5 until all advanced learning skills are at 3
7) train an advanced skill to 4
8) then reward yourself with a non-learning skill
9) repeat 7 and 8 until all advanced learning skills are at 4.

The thing is that getting basic learning skills from 3 to 4 takes a couple days (if memory serves). Ditto for training advanced learning skills from level 3 to 4. Breaking up the monotony will help a ton.

Mokmo418

Jul 13, 2004
I am a diplomat of Eve University, the biggest learning player corp.
Indeed the game has a big learning curve at the beginning. We provide classes in TS on important aspects of the game: fleet manoeuvers, Ewar, industry, exploration, etc
We reply to most questions, even to non-members on the "Eve University" public channel.

As of today, feb 4th, we've been wardecced by the same corp that ruined our christmas holiday, racketeers. Hence recruitment has been suspended. If any corps want to help, a wardec would only affirm their need to keep us at war since they really want their "scum of the universe" bumper sticker. So please don't.