EU Chief: Vacationing is a human right, will be subsidized for the less wealthy

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I think we need the guaranteed month off like the French. Americans work way too hard while the rest of the world is relaxing.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Some typical European politician will start claiming that they're paying for Muslims, Roma, and others they declare undesirables to go to the Louvre and it will motivate the population against this.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
lol you fucking loser. Us valuable workers get way more than that. I get 25 days.

nelson-muntz.gif

That's because you are negative headcount, so paying you to skip work is actually a good deal for the company.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Of course, because you know nothing important that is real, in other words because you're devoid of self understanding, you can think anything you like. It's easy when the truth of your inner reality is totally opaque. Your whole intolerant rejection of European Progressives, as if there were such a thing, and not a swine created category to shit on, is the evidence of your self hate, but evidence for folk who aren't blinded by their bigotry.

You call them stupid because you think it hurts and you want them to hurt because you do. You are filled with pain because you feel worthless. You feel pain when your meager belonging your ego grew to such huge proportions to earn are taxed and given to others your smallness needed to make even smaller than you.

I would gladly shut up because you feel worthless and that feeling has made it true, so you can't tell me anything. You don't have the rank.

Every day of my life is one big giant vacation so I'm not impoverished in the slightest to share the truth. And I don't really have to worry anyway because the truth is something you can't carry away. You don't have the nut sacks to hold it.

I hate you. What does that mean?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I hate you. What does that mean?

It means you're relatively normal.
I don't hate anyone, but I do find Moonie a bit annoying. The simple solution is to not read anything he writes, it's always the same empty drivel anyway. For some reason that I've never been able to fathom, he's of the belief that everyone hates themselves, it's always the central theme of his writing. He's either a troll or needs treatment, perhaps both.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It means you're relatively normal.
I don't hate anyone, but I do find Moonie a bit annoying. The simple solution is to not read anything he writes, it's always the same empty drivel anyway. For some reason that I've never been able to fathom, he's of the belief that everyone hates themselves, it's always the central theme of his writing. He's either a troll or needs treatment, perhaps both.

Why not tell him the truth, that he hates me because he hates himself and what he thinks about me is what he feels about himself. And the reason I talk about self hate all the time is because humanity will go extinct if it doesn't figure out that it feels it should and doesn't know it. So what you actually do when you ignore me, though you'll never know it, is hasten the day when you and all you ever loved will disappear from the face of the earth. But you are not to blame because you know not what you do.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Or we ignore you not because you might be right, but, because we know, after reading and dismissing your drivel as drivel, that you're wrong.

Keep taking the meds, keep going to treatment...you'll get there one day...

Chuck

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
You have to vacation in the EU to receive the subsidy.

People on vacation spend money.

The vacation costs them money.

Seems like a wash, monetarily but the people get a vacation out of it.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
2 weeks is not enough. I want 52 weeks of vacation. Lower deficit or 52 weeks of vacation. I vote 52 weeks!

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why not tell him the truth, that he hates me because he hates himself and what he thinks about me is what he feels about himself. And the reason I talk about self hate all the time is because humanity will go extinct if it doesn't figure out that it feels it should and doesn't know it. So what you actually do when you ignore me, though you'll never know it, is hasten the day when you and all you ever loved will disappear from the face of the earth. But you are not to blame because you know not what you do.

There you go moonie, you got me to read one of your posts bu quoting me.
Claiming that by ignoring you I hasten the demise of all I know is nothing more than a plea to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, I can't do that because what you believe isn't what I've witnessed over the last fifty some years. There are some poor souls that are consumed with self loathing, those are few and far between. There are many more that lead lives of quiet desperation, and even they don't hate themselves.
To be perfectly honest, I don't believe you put anymore credence in the things you write than I do.

Have a nice evening Moonie.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I don't think so. Companies already give longer vacations to workers in countries whose laws mandate it, and they still hire there. As long as it's across the board, it doesn't put one company or the other at a disadvantage. They would probably hire more people to make up for less man hours available per person per year. Also, my overall purchasing potential could go down, but actual purchasing and quality of life could go up. I am interested in my overall quality of life, not a number in my bank account. Right now, I simply don't have time to spend my purchasing potential, and I know a lot of people like me. Maybe I would like to spend a few grand to go on vacation, or buy a nice bike or rent an RV and go on a long trip, but since I don't have time, I won't. That's someone in tourism or recreation industry right now who could have had a paycheck that is unemployed getting public support instead.
So everyone in the country should take a pay cut because you can't negotiate? Seems appropriate.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There you go moonie, you got me to read one of your posts bu quoting me.
Claiming that by ignoring you I hasten the demise of all I know is nothing more than a plea to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, I can't do that because what you believe isn't what I've witnessed over the last fifty some years. There are some poor souls that are consumed with self loathing, those are few and far between. There are many more that lead lives of quiet desperation, and even they don't hate themselves.
To be perfectly honest, I don't believe you put anymore credence in the things you write than I do.

Have a nice evening Moonie.

Hehehe, You can't help but ignore me. You don't want to know the truth. You don't ignore me as an option, but because you have to. You ignore me whether you read what I say or not, and on that score I could care less. I know the world is dying because of zombies like you and you do not. You will either see or you will not. You don't know what you feel. But you know I am right more than most, I am sure, because you are bothered by my words and feel a need to run away. Most of the truly dead aren't even phased.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I don't think so. Companies already give longer vacations to workers in countries whose laws mandate it, and they still hire there. As long as it's across the board, it doesn't put one company or the other at a disadvantage. They would probably hire more people to make up for less man hours available per person per year. Also, my overall purchasing potential could go down, but actual purchasing and quality of life could go up.

Again, GO FIND ANOTHER JOB WITH A BETTER VACATION POLICY! This isn't a difficult concept to understand. Instead, you want to sit and whine and moan and want Uncle Sam (your perennial knight in shining armor, it seems) to come and rescue you instead of getting off of your butt and solving the problem yourself. If you have been with your company for any reasonable length of time and still only have 2 weeks of paid time off, your company sucks -- no ifs, ands, or buts about it. As I mentioned earlier, I *started* with 4+ weeks here (18 days of PTO plus the week between Christmas and New Years off). Those jobs do exist but you have to have the initiative to find them.

Seriously, you guys and your "government can fix all my problems" mentality need to grow up and take some personal responsibility for yourselves. Your "quality of life issues" are just that -- YOUR issues, not the government's issues.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Anyways, not going as far as supporting govt paying for trips, but Federal 4 week vacation mandate is something I would get behind 100%. It's one of those cases where a federal policy would produce a better outcome than individual bargaining.

Aug 23, 2000
He probably works for the government.

If he worked for the government he wouldnt be complaining about vacation time. They don't do shit anyways in the governemnt other than sit around trying to figure out how to stuff more objects up tax payers asses.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
If he worked for the government he wouldnt be complaining about vacation time. They don't do shit anyways in the governemnt other than sit around trying to figure out how to stuff more objects up tax payers asses.

Judging by all the howling in this thread about the evils of a couple of extra weeks of vacation time, some of those taxpayers have plenty up their asses already.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
You're right, it is -- and many companies offer this without the government being involved.

But some don't. And just as with some companies that would like to pay their employees $0.50 an hour to work with hazardous materials without protection, the Government will helpfully point them in the right direction. :)