EU Chief: Vacationing is a human right, will be subsidized for the less wealthy

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
But some don't. And just as with some companies that would like to pay their employees $0.50 an hour to work with hazardous materials without protection, the Government will helpfully point them in the right direction. :)

Some companies offer free lunches, free back massages, free memberships to health clubs, etc. Let's go ahead and mandate all of that too! Because at the root of all of this, that is what you guys want -- everyone to have the exact same thing with no exceptions. Not equality of opportunity, but equality of outcome.

You guys amaze me. I don't think there is a problem in the world you wouldn't want the government to "solve." They have done such a bang-up job, after all.

Aug 23, 2000
Judging by all the howling in this thread about the evils of a couple of extra weeks of vacation time, some of those taxpayers have plenty up their asses already.

I'll give you a hint, the majority of people that want more for less don't pay federal taxes to begin with. They might have the money taken from the checks, but they get it all back at refund time.

I don't think anyone would argue that more vacation time would be cool, but it isn't the governments job to tell you how much you can take, and then PAY for it.

Aug 23, 2000
Some companies offer free lunches, free back massages, free memberships to health clubs, etc. Let's go ahead and mandate all of that too! Because at the root of all of this, that is what you guys want -- everyone to have the exact same thing with no exceptions. Not equality of opportunity, but equality of outcome.

You guys amaze me. I don't think there is a problem in the world you wouldn't want the government to "solve." They have done such a bang-up job, after all.

There's only one gaurantee when it comes to the governemnt doing something. It will take longer, cost more and get nothing done.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'll give you a hint, the majority of people that want more for less don't pay federal taxes to begin with. They might have the money taken from the checks, but they get it all back at refund time.

Yeah, if the government wanted something important to work on, how about eliminating the credits/loopholes some people use to get back more on their tax refund than what was withheld in the first place? You shouldn't get back more than the government withheld, after all.

I don't think anyone would argue that more vacation time would be cool, but it isn't the governments job to tell you how much you can take, and then PAY for it.

That's the point. Sure, I'd LOVE to have even more vacation time. But it is not the government's place to tell my company to give me x number of weeks of vacation at my company's expense. That isn't a way to increase employment, as you are increasing their cost of doing business.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

What company offers free back massages?

Aug 23, 2000

My last company had someone come in on the last Friday of the month.
We also got a nice lunch paid for by the company once a month, and then a really swag dinner every quarter. We also had a yearly team building party that involved laser tag and beer.
We had box seats at the Nokia Theater we could use, and season tickets to local sporting events.
Amazingly not every company is out to screw it's employees.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I don't want to ONLY work, that's right. 11/1 is a good work/vacation month ratio.
The way the market works is that both sides must agree on a compensation package for a given job. You simply don't want that. You want to hold a gun to their head and tell them they are required to give you a month off every year whether it's fair or not. Hopefully, they will return the favor, hold a gun to your head, and tell you to get the hell out of their building if you ever pull this off.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
My last company had someone come in on the last Friday of the month.
We also got a nice lunch paid for by the company once a month, and then a really swag dinner every quarter. We also had a yearly team building party that involved laser tag and beer.
We had box seats at the Nokia Theater we could use, and season tickets to local sporting events.
Amazingly not every company is out to screw it's employees.

The person came in and gave free massages? We have people come into our office too, but they are selling their services.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Why do people pull out the "nanny state" crap everytime vacation time is mentioned? 2 weeks is a joke. I feel sorry for people that have such shitty vacation time (i get 4). The Fed govt should make it compulsory for all companies to have at least 3 weeks vacation time.

Enough of the nanny state crap. Is it "nanny state" when we take christmas and new years? What about the drinking age? What about anything? Why even bother having any laws...it's all nanny state crap.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

Interactive Intelligence is one that pops to mind. Not sure if they do right now in the current economy, but they used to and would promote it to potential employees. I think the masseuse came in every Friday or every other Friday.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Why do people pull out the "nanny state" crap everytime vacation time is mentioned? 2 weeks is a joke. I feel sorry for people that have such shitty vacation time (i get 4). The Fed govt should make it compulsory for all companies to have at least 3 weeks vacation time.

People pull the "nanny state" crap because it is FREAKING RIDICULOUS that the government would mandate crap like vacation time.

Enough of the nanny state crap. Is it "nanny state" when we take christmas and new years?

Hmmm, I wasn't aware that it was federal law to force employers to give all employees those days off.

What about the drinking age? What about anything? Why even bother having any laws...it's all nanny state crap.

Or you could go to the other ridiculous extreme and have laws for everything, which is something you would seem to enjoy. You tools and your belief that the government needs to "solve" all of these non-issues give me a good laugh.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The way the market works is that both sides must agree on a compensation package for a given job. You simply don't want that. You want to hold a gun to their head and tell them they are required to give you a month off every year whether it's fair or not. Hopefully, they will return the favor, hold a gun to your head, and tell you to get the hell out of their building if you ever pull this off.

Gun? I want to go vote for what I want or for representatives who support what I want. That's how democracy works, you little drama queen.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Gun? I want to go vote for what I want or for representatives who support what I want. That's how democracy works, you little drama queen.
No, that's how democracy fails - when enough idiots think that the role of government is to give him everything they want, regardless of how it affects anyone else.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Yeah, like you with your unregulated free markets.
*facepalm* You really don't understand the difference between penalizing everyone else for your own laziness and market regulation? You're a bigger idiot than I realized. I guess I'm done here.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I dunno if it's something in the water or just these particular issues, but I'm feeling rather libertarian today. Not only is the idea of subsidized vacations ludicrous, I don't want government mandated vacation time either.

Maybe it's the fact that certain liberal do gooders and the FDA are trying to ban my electronic cigarettes and force me back into smoking.

Why do they hate my life so much?

- wolf

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
*facepalm* You really don't understand the difference between penalizing everyone else for your own laziness and market regulation? You're a bigger idiot than I realized. I guess I'm done here.

It's justifying his self interest in the name of the public interest. When this becomes rampant... well it already has.

You can't pass a law with support because you cry "I'm not in a good enough position to negotiate 4 weeks of vacation." Instead you claim 2 weeks isn't "humane" etc.

People in the past worked harder than senseamp everyday of their lives and he complains about 2 weeks being completely unfair based on some arbitrary measure of... oh wait, he just doesn't like to work.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
Anyways, not going as far as supporting govt paying for trips, but Federal 4 week vacation mandate is something I would get behind 100%. It's one of those cases where a federal policy would produce a better outcome than individual bargaining.

Produce a better outcome for you. Not for everyone you selfish bitch. You only pretend to justify your laziness through others.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
Nothing is going to produce better outcome for everyone, I am voting my self interest.

Your post places this police squarely in the "public interest".

This is the basis of the argument for collective bargaining.

But, I guess we now see that you're just voting yourself money. To that, I can only say: fuck you.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Your post places this police squarely in the "public interest".

This is the basis of the argument for collective bargaining.

But, I guess we now see that you're just voting yourself money. To that, I can only say: fuck you.

If public interest aligns with mine, hell yeah I am going to vote for it. You can # S& if you don't like it.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
If public interest aligns with mine, hell yeah I am going to vote for it. You can # S& if you don't like it.

Glad to see my suspicions regarding the validity of collective bargaining confirmed. If you're going to curse me out, do so. # S& means nothing.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Enough of the nanny state crap. Is it "nanny state" when we take christmas and new years? What about the drinking age? What about anything? Why even bother having any laws...it's all nanny state crap.

You like big government. lol.